QM2 Slowing Speed Before VZ Bridge

BklynBoy8

On the 2003 World Cruise onboard QE2 the ship did 26.44 knots at one point going from NYC/ Manhattan to Florida.  In January the ocean & winds were quite active  & on the second day  we could feel the ship list & stay that way for a while...as she cut through the sea - it was wonderful to experience QE2 that way!!!

In 2007, in the Med on QE2, we had a port cancelled Capt McNaught announced that we would be heading for Naples instead. The only problem was there was only one berth, and three ships chasing it.

Almost immediately, we could hear the distant engine humm increasing, and apparently, we reached 34Kts.

We got the berth. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

QM2 did actually arrive at her berth on the Hudson River a little late.

We were on time at the Verazano Bridge, and for the wreath laying off the WTC site, so I don't think that was the ship's fault. I'm fairly sure it was timed to suit the TV schedules. If you remember there were at least two TV stations broadcasting live from the ship. 

QM 2 still going on 26 Kn. Taking it in her stride- since leaving NY the winds are Beaufort 7 to 9 - for me the perfect Crossing- today the first day with a bit of sun- sitting in Golden Lion sometimes looking out the windows was like watching a washing machine! 
During the Seniors Officers Party I had a nice talk about the upcoming Refit and what will be done ! 
New carpets everywhere- all chairs get new upholstery - Parket in QR totally redone and technical things - and of course the hull gets done! 
Yes all those things NEED to be be done! Mary feels so comfortable and stylish- still - so those worn carpets and chairs do not bother me at all! Service and food are excellent- Internet a hit and miss! 
So yes - again I love every minute of the crossing ! 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Or this design from HAL. LIke the elevator lobby and elevator carpets on QM2, it's CAD, so the colors can be changed to give a variety of designs that are actually one design. This design had blue, yellow, and green variations. 

DSCN0139.JPG

Well, at least if there is a fight, the blood won’t show, I suppose. 🙂

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, at least if there is a fight, the blood won’t show, I suppose. 🙂

I always thought it was convenient for hiding stains after a rough day at sea.

The large red carpet in the atrium on QM2 always looks like a big blood stain to me.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Or this design from HAL. LIke the elevator lobby and elevator carpets on QM2, it's CAD, so the colors can be changed to give a variety of designs that are actually one design. This design had blue, yellow, and green variations. 

DSCN0139.JPG

That's bad !

3 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

I seem to remember, that the original designs incorporated reds for port, and greens for starboard which was quite handy as you were sorting out your bearings.

For some reason, we have almost always chosen the port side on the Vistas. Last time we were starboard. I was all right at going to the right(!) side, but having got there regularly failed to distinguish forward from aft.

Back in the dim dawn of time on Royal Viking ships, there was a tiny arrowlike figure that was incorporated  into the carpet design that pointed towards the bow. There were also carpets in the elevators that were changed daily and announced the day of the week......loved that!

3 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Back in the dim dawn of time on Royal Viking ships, there was a tiny arrowlike figure that was incorporated  into the carpet design that pointed towards the bow. There were also carpets in the elevators that were changed daily and announced the day of the week......loved that!

HAL still has day of the week carpets in elevators. I saw a family line up on the carpet and take a group photo of their feet. Once in a while, a crew member makes a mistake and people go around saying what day is it REALLY?

On 10/15/2023 at 7:21 PM, BigMac1953 said:

In 2007, in the Med on QE2, we had a port cancelled Capt McNaught announced that we would be heading for Naples instead. The only problem was there was only one berth, and three ships chasing it.

I was on QE2 going around the Horn of Africa, with I think the same Captain. In his navigational address one lunch time, he noted what he termed "a local tradition of piracy on the high seas". That's still an issue around there. He continued: "But not to worry, I have a little lever in my hand here which comprehensively deals with that issue". An American on my lunch table thought he meant a cannon.,

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I was on QE2 going around the Horn of Africa, with I think the same Captain. In his navigational address one lunch time, he noted what he termed "a local tradition of piracy on the high seas". That's still an issue around there. He continued: "But not to worry, I have a little lever in my hand here which comprehensively deals with that issue". An American on my lunch table thought he meant a cannon.,

With all that freeboard, any sensible pirate would pick another target even if he could catch up with her.

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

...but they did have accoustic "cannon". Whether they were effective or not, who knows?

QV definitely had those round dish thingys on deck three whenever we were in pirate waters. Had some chaps  who 'looked as if they could take care of themselves and others' too.

As passengers, our pirate drill just meant G&Ts with fellow cabin neighbours  in the corridors as we followed drill protocols, although I'm pretty certain the G&T bit was a local tweak!😁