Westerdam Alaska Cruise deck / room questions

Billtkat

Have an Alaska cruise on hold for next July, sailing on the Westerdam. Currently have an aft room, VB5184 on hold with this reservation -  Never been on this ship before and really picked this cruise because airfare is just crazy so trying to balance a nice cruise with the cost.   Asking to see if anyone that has sailed this cruise, this ship and especially in this room for input.  Good , bad and any tips we should keep in mind would be greatly appreciated. 

Richard & Natacha - 

I can't speak to that cabin, but we were on Westerdam to Alaska late September. This was the friendliest HAL ship I've been on. Even security personnel and ship maintenance workers were cordial. The cruise itself was wonderful. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Billtkat said:

Have an Alaska cruise on hold for next July, sailing on the Westerdam. Currently have an aft room, VB5184 on hold with this reservation -  Never been on this ship before and really picked this cruise because airfare is just crazy so trying to balance a nice cruise with the cost.   Asking to see if anyone that has sailed this cruise, this ship and especially in this room for input.  Good , bad and any tips we should keep in mind would be greatly appreciated. 

Richard & Natacha - 

As a hobby photographer, I can assure you this stateroom is my favorite for Alaska and have sailed in it many times.  It is fully covered for rainy days and out of the wind so you can spend a lot time on your balcony while the ship is moving.  The Deck 5 balconies are the deepest on the ship. With so very few aft staterooms on this special deck, they are in great demand.  Grab It!!!!!

There was a Taco Bar on Deck 9 by the indoor pool where I fill my daily plate of nachos.

Here is a link to my ship photos to give you an idea of what to expect.  Westerdam Photos

Here are photos of 5184:

image.jpeg.582384f17875f9a062a5b0a56e1e9094.jpeg

image.jpeg.1531a0fa89db983f91f2cf20bc74f61e.jpeg

image.jpeg.95163cace2acaaadfc9bd6864de88121.jpeg

image.jpeg.13e4497d09081e452038157950389f47.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Billtkat said:

Richard & Natacha - 

If you are at all sensitive to vibration, I would steer clear of aft cabins in the middle of the aft on Westerdam on decks 4&5.

Some of the cabins have severe shaking/vibration at high speeds (which you’ll be doing on three full days of that itin). Bizarre harmonics from the propeller I guess. Forward a few cabins was much improved.

We’re experienced cruisers, not sensitive to movement or occasional vibration or noises, and have had aft cabins on other ships and lines… but had to get moved from deck 4 Aft in August. Deck 5 a few cabins forward from the aft was perfectly quiet.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Have traveled on Holland America a few times. First time using a guaranteed room . Not knowing where I may be is a mystery.  Have heard both good and bad things. Taking the May 12th Alaskan cruise on Westerdam. What are the odds of getting a decent cabin?

13 minutes ago, mdsant said:

Have traveled on Holland America a few times. First time using a guaranteed room . Not knowing where I may be is a mystery.  Have heard both good and bad things. Taking the May 12th Alaskan cruise on Westerdam. What are the odds of getting a decent cabin?

I have not done an inside cabin to AK as I live for the views, but will be on there with you!!

I haven't stayed in that cabin, but we sailed on the Westerdam last September for our first cruise with HAL. It's a great ship! We were in one of the inside cabins with a window on Observation deck, and it was so nice to be able to just walk down the hall to the Crow's Nest early every morning for a cup of coffee to sip while sitting in one of the big, comfy, forward window facing chairs. Staff were all very nice. Food ranged from okay to really good. We didn't find any downsides at all with this ship, and my husband liked it way better than the big Princess ships we've sailed on most recently. 

• Like 2

What was the price difference between letting HAL choose your cabin,  or you choosing your cabin? We used to always pick guarantees for many HAL cruises,  until we got a cabin over the Ocean Bar. Never again,  so wee now always pay to choose our own cabin. 

Big controversy always - is the regular HAL cruise price set when you choose your cabin and you get a discount only  if you let them chose your cabin.

Or do you pay HAL a premium to choose your cabin, and the guarantee cabin is the real cabin price.  

In other words, is the "discount" worth taking a chance". Or is the premium worth paying an not taking a chance.

What makes a cabin a "bad cabin": daytime noise, nighttime nose, distance away from elevators, distance away open decks, dining rooms and indoor activity centers, smaller than usual, visual obstructions, cabin layout and amenities......... what do you fear most about your guarantee cabin choice? 

Haven't spend much time in our cabins even when we had a balcony. Cabins are for a change of clothes or just sleeping. To much to see and do around any ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

We were in one of the inside cabins with a window on Observation deck, and it was so nice to be able to just walk down the hall to the Crow's Nest early every morning for a cup of coffee to sip while sitting in one of the big, comfy, forward window facing chairs.

Haha, we were in the starboard inside with a window on Observation for a transAtlantic and loved having the Crows Nest as our ante-room! Post-pandemic we are booked in balconies on that deck on Vista Class ships (two cruises). 

For @mdsant -- did you say you were in an Inside guarantee? or some other category guarantee?

If I had to guess your "odds" I would say 50-50! Take earplugs. And as you say, for an Alaskan cruise you want to be where there are views!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 10:48 AM, mdsant said:

Haven't spend much time in our cabins even when we had a balcony. Cabins are for a change of clothes or just sleeping. To much to see and do around any ship.

I know some people feel this way but I absolutely disagree. I would NEVER take an alaskan cruise without a balcony. I spend so much time out there. I love being on my balcony in my robe with some coffee watching glaciers go by in my private area. 

Some people feel a need to keep moving and never stop. For me, a cold water cruise is about slowing down and enjoying the view and nature. You miss so much when you keep moving too fast. My first cruise to Alaska I spent at LEAST 50% of my time out on our balcony. The upper decks outside get so crowded, espeically in places like glacier bay. Having your own private space is soooo worth it. 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2023 at 3:11 PM, Billtkat said:

Richard & Natacha -