First time Celebrity Cruiser-Pro's & Con's of Summit

JCMass.

My computer is older and I cannot connect into the Write a Review section for some reason.   So here is what I would have written there.

Celebrity Summit Review-Maine and Canada  October 2    

We are first time Celebrity cruisers, and had a wonderful cruise on the Summit.  Though this was our first time on Celebrity but we are Diamond on Royal Caribbean so we had the status of Elite and the benefits that went with it.   We booked this 11 day cruise over a year ago, and it was almost sold out.  We got a standard Veranda cabin on deck 8 in the forward section.   

Con’s  

Veranda cabins are very small 170 sq. feet.

Elite benefit cocktails though unlimited are 5-7pm at certain bars, vs. RCI 4-drinks each day available all day and includes restaurants.  We like a glass of wine with dinner, so it required us to go to a bar get a glass of wine and carry it into the restaurants.  

The ship is older 2001, it shows it’s age in places, and rust apparent outside and even in the shower. 

The toilet paper holder in the bathroom, very poor design the roll of paper would not stay on.  

No library, I understand they had one with two stories that was recently removed to add cabins.  

Pro’s  

The incredible friendly and helpful crew.  Our Steward Nengah could not have been better.  Everyone we asked always had an answer and lots of smiles.  They create a nice family atmosphere from Captain Dimitris on down.  

The food in the Ocean View Cafe was outstanding in variety and quality.   We enjoyed it more than the dining room and specialty restaurants.   

Our cabin though small had plenty of storage drawers and shelves, including larger shelves above and below the sink.  

Comfortable reclining chairs on our balcony, and a good size table.  

You saw the officers all around the ship.  They even greeted us every night at the door of the theater.

The Beyond the Podium Lectures were outstanding especially, Larry Hess’s presentations on music through the decades.  The port talks by Dominique were informative and not about shopping.   

Large fitness center at the top of the ship with a view, lots of machines and chilled towels.  

The entertainment could not have been better.  The variety from singers Crystal Stark and the Irish Tenors, to the comedian magician Jason Bird.  The production cast was also fabulous, we really enjoyed every show. 

The Cruise Director Manual was everywhere, and lots of fun.  

The decor and art work around the ship were lovely, muted colors very relaxing.

Lots of public spaces,   

Loved that the cruise was longer 11 days, with great ports in Canada and Maine.  We may do this one again, though the Summit is heading to Florida and then Alaska and being replaced by one of the larger ships.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, JCMass. said:

My computer is older and I cannot connect into the Write a Review section for some reason.   So here is what I would have written there.

We are first time Celebrity cruisers, and had a wonderful cruise on the Summit.  Though this was our first time on Celebrity but we are Diamond on Royal Caribbean so we had the status of Elite and the benefits that went with it.   We booked this 11 day cruise over a year ago, and it was almost sold out.  We got a standard Veranda cabin on deck 8 in the forward section.   

Con’s  

Elite benefit cocktails though unlimited are 5-7pm at certain bars, vs. RCI 4-drinks each day available all day and includes restaurants.  We like a glass of wine with dinner, so it required us to go to a bar get a glass of wine and carry it into the restaurants.  

The ship is older 2001, it shows it’s age in places, and rust apparent outside and even in the shower. 

The toilet paper holder in the bathroom, very poor design the roll of paper would not stay on.  

No library, I understand they had one with two stories that was recently removed to add cabins.  

Pro’s  

The incredible friendly and helpful crew.  Our Steward Nengah could not have been better.  Everyone we asked always had an answer and lots of smiles.  They create a nice family atmosphere from Captain Dimitris on down.  

The food in the Ocean View Cafe was outstanding in variety and quality.   We enjoyed it more than the dining room and specialty restaurants.   

Our cabin though small had plenty of storage drawers and shelves, including larger shelves above and below the sink.  

You saw the officers all around the ship.  They even greeted us every night at the door of the theater.

The Beyond the Podium Lectures were outstanding especially, Larry Hess’s presentations on music through the decades.  The port talks by Dominique were informative and not about shopping.   

Large fitness center at the top of the ship with a view, lots of machines and chilled towels.  

The entertainment could not have been better.  The variety from singers Crystal Stark and the Irish Tenors, to the comedian magician Jason Bird.  The production cast was also fabulous, we really enjoyed every show. 

Lots of public spaces,   

Loved that the cruise was longer 11 days, with great ports in Canada and Maine.  We may do this one again, though the Summit is heading to Florida and then Alaska and being replaced by one of the larger ships.    

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad you (generally) enjoyed your stay on the Summit. I've been on her four times (two were charters). I thought she was in great shape and didn't notice the specific shortcomings you saw. Then again, I've never had a balcony on the Summit.

17 hours ago, JCMass. said:

Con’s  

Pro’s  

Lots of public spaces,   

I'm glad you  had a good first time Experience on X-Summit.

The glitz and glamor of the newer RCCL ships is an obvious difference from the older M class X ships but the less crowded vibe is a positive.

We have done a lot of RCCL Oasis ships for the Entertainment. 

You should try the other 2 generations of Celebrity ships and see what you like best?

All have the same Positive Celebrity things you point out.

They offer more specialty dining options but are more crowded.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Summit is a very special old lady, and I'm looking forward to my sailings on her in January and February of 2024, though with all of the recent changes, they will be my last with Celebrity for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Summit is a very special old lady, and I'm looking forward to my sailings on her in January and February of 2024, though with all of the recent changes, they will be my last with Celebrity for the foreseeable future.

I hope you will post here after your Jan.-Feb. Summit Cruises.

Let us know what YOU see and Experience about the "Recent Changes"

We tried  3 other cruise lines this year (and 5 on Celebrity) and found what we liked most about Celebrity was Still there.

2 of the other cruise lines cost a Lot more and offered less of what we like about Celebrity.  YMMV..............

22 hours ago, JCMass. said:

Large fitness center at the top of the ship with a view, lots of machines and chilled towels

Those chilled towels are wonderful! They provided much needed relief to the back of my very sunburned legs on our last cruise