Syd Norman Pour House size question

ontheweb

Is it the same on all of the NCL ships that have this as a feature? 

We were on the Prima which is a smaller ship than the other NCL ships that have this. Other than the Rumours concert, you could get in coming at the last minute (though not a seat). In fact on the first night, we came after it had started and still got in.

If it is the same size on the larger ships does it make it even harder to get in?

I haven't been on the Prima, but I can tell you that on the Breakaway, Sid Norman's is very small and very popular. It was common to have to wait in line outside the venue for about 30 minutes before the doors opened in order to be certain to get a seat.

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Same experience on Getaway as @JamieLogical mentions....I suppose this makes sense given they are sister ships.

I am so looking forward to Syd Normans on Getaway next April!!

And I have no problem waiting on line a little. I did it on Joy in July, waiting for the Beatles tribute and got fabulous seats up by the stage.

My wife brought me cocktails while I waited and the time flew by.

So much fun!!

2 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

I am so looking forward to Syd Normans on Getaway next April!!

And I have no problem waiting on line a little. I did it on Joy in July, waiting for the Beatles tribute and got fabulous seats up by the stage.

My wife brought me cocktails while I waited and the time flew by.

So much fun!!

I never went (not my style of music or venue), but I heard absolutely wonderful reviews from those on the ship. I am sure you'll enjoy yourself immensely! April will be here in no time!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We were on the Prima which is a smaller ship than the other NCL ships that have this. Other than the Rumours concert, you could get in coming at the last minute (though not a seat). In fact on the first night, we came after it had started and still got in.

If it is the same size on the larger ships does it make it even harder to get in?

Are you asking to just "get in", or get a seat? Those venues, Syd's, Cavern Club, etc., are the same on every ship. If you're not there 30-45 min prior, you're not getting a seat. If you just want to get in, we've found it rare that you can't.

Edited by IAcruising
  • Like 1

I take it from the replies that dealt with the question I asked as the OP that on other larger ships than the Prima that we were on, the Syd Norman Pour House is basically the same size.

There have been so many complaints about the size of venues on the Prima, and yet here we see the same size venue for a ship with about 1000 less passengers than the Breakaway class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I take it from the replies that dealt with the question I asked as the OP that on other larger ships than the Prima that we were on, the Syd Norman Pour House is basically the same size.

There have been so many complaints about the size of venues on the Prima, and yet here we see the same size venue for a ship with about 1000 less passengers than the Breakaway class.

Relatively the same size. From the pictures I have seen on the Prima, the seating arrangement on the Prima is less than what you will see on the other ships.  There are booths and high top rails as well as tables on other ships.

Prima:

Norwegian Prima Syd Normans Pour House Pictures

Getaway:

Norwegian Getaway Syd Normans Pour House Pictures

Breakaway:

Norwegian Breakaway Syd Normans Pour House Pictures

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

Relatively the same size. From the pictures I have seen on the Prima, the seating arrangement on the Prima is less than what you will see on the other ships.  There are booths and high top rails as well as tables on other ships.

Prima:

Getaway:

Breakaway:

Well, I stand for rock and roll. The only time I did get a seat at Syd Norman's, my body would not stay seated. But, if the venue itself is basically the same size, than it is better for a ship with about 1000 less passengers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Prima

image.thumb.png.61401a3b5eb52f45ad190e79161ed7ac.png

image.png.a5ffceed3a1e8dd22d72691812787f60.png

Breakaway 

image.thumb.png.dbf06012c351ac2708eef4a49fcc6bb7.png

image.png.09f967b9286fb717cc762b5cfe0f25bc.png

Getaway 

image.png.1c212a359ca62fc714023e9e97754a8a.png

image.png.cff17b51c5af94b8e79a09e7ad6cf9f3.png

Escape

image.thumb.png.f8a3c6aa8650d90c46985c2099e5e955.png

image.png.53a35c4338192720b5bdef1c5422c588.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Prima

image.thumb.png.61401a3b5eb52f45ad190e79161ed7ac.png

image.png.a5ffceed3a1e8dd22d72691812787f60.png

Breakaway 

image.thumb.png.dbf06012c351ac2708eef4a49fcc6bb7.png

image.png.09f967b9286fb717cc762b5cfe0f25bc.png

Getaway 

image.png.1c212a359ca62fc714023e9e97754a8a.png

image.png.cff17b51c5af94b8e79a09e7ad6cf9f3.png

Escape

image.thumb.png.f8a3c6aa8650d90c46985c2099e5e955.png

image.png.53a35c4338192720b5bdef1c5422c588.png

Thanks, so I see it is larger on the larger ships. I would guess though that is less intimate.

And what do they mean by Waterfront when referring to capacity?

34 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Thanks, so I see it is larger on the larger ships. I would guess though that is less intimate.

On the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships, there is a bar outside on the waterfront that has its own seating area, so I assume that is a reference to how many people can sit in that outdoor area. However, the people sitting out there can't see the show.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

On the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships, there is a bar outside on the waterfront that has its own seating area, so I assume that is a reference to how many people can sit in that outdoor area. However, the people sitting out there can't see the show.

But there are speakers out there, so you can comfortably listen to the shows while sipping on your favorite cocktail and gazing out to sea!

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Still very intimate. I do think moving the shows to the theater like people suggest will lose the intimacy that makes the shows great though.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Seating at the outside bar (versus inside bar and show room). 

The inside club area on older ships had former lives. Like The Grammy Experience and 5’oclock Somewhere bar. Their new life is Syd’s until using that branding cost too much money and they becomes “The Club”

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Seating at the outside bar (versus inside bar and show room). 

The inside club area on older ships had former lives. Like The Grammy Experience and 5’oclock Somewhere bar. Their new life is Syd’s until using that branding cost too much money and they becomes “The Club”

I don't think Syd Norman's branding costs NCL anything as they completely made him up.

2 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

But there are speakers out there, so you can comfortably listen to the shows while sipping on your favorite cocktail and gazing out to sea!

Personally, I would feel I lost a lot by not actually seeing them and only hearing them. But thanks for the explanation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

Still very intimate. I do think moving the shows to the theater like people suggest will lose the intimacy that makes the shows great though.  

Yes, I agree putting it in the theater would be a change for the worse. It would be a totally different experience. In another thread about Syd Normans, I mentioned how I got to speak with two of the singers; I can't see that happening if it was in the theater.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, I agree putting it in the theater would be a change for the worse. It would be a totally different experience. In another thread about Syd Normans, I mentioned how I got to speak with two of the singers; I can't see that happening if it was in the theater.

Yep, I don't see that happening.  Plus the whole show is that they are waiters/waitresses for the bar that go up and grab the mic  and tell stories about the acts that Syd has signed over the years.  In the theater, they just become a cover band.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Personally, I would feel I lost a lot by not actually seeing them and only hearing them. But thanks for the explanation.

I agree. Nothing like being in there with the crowd and the music right in your face.

I mentioned the Waterfront option because you can't always make every show and you may have some time to kill before doing something else or you're just taking a stroll.

We were on Joy in July and one night we volunteered to babysit for my 1 and 5 year old nieces.

We were walking along the Waterfront and there was a show going on inside the Cavern Club and we took a seat and enjoyed the music as we sipped on a cocktail. The 1 year old was sleeping and the 5 year old had some space to play and run around.

We did make it inside the Club 2 other times for shows, so we also got the full experience.

Excellent use of the amenities!

• Like 2