Sloping window?

EA1978

I've just booked a cruise on the Aurora and have opted for a sea view cabin (D174).  Apparently it has a sloping window and I'm a little concerned that this may therefore cause some kind of restricted view? If anyone has stayed in a similar cabin can they reassure me that this is not the case and that I've made a good choice with my cabin number!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EA1978 said:

I've just booked a cruise on the Aurora and have opted for a sea view cabin (D174).  Apparently it has a sloping window and I'm a little concerned that this may therefore cause some kind of restricted view? If anyone has stayed in a similar cabin can they reassure me that this is not the case and that I've made a good choice with my cabin number!!

I’ve stayed in that cabin. The view is fine - the sloping window just means that the window sill is larger than average.  We did 49 nights in D166 just down the corridor then 24 nights in D174 the following year.

We thought the cabin was in a great location. It’s very near Raffles, but behind a  ‘secret door’ so a lot of people don’t realise that there is a corridor there, which means not a lot of people walk past.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve stayed in that cabin. The view is fine - the sloping window just means that the window sill is larger than average.  We did 49 nights in D166 just down the corridor then 24 nights in D174 the following year.

We thought the cabin was in a great location. It’s very near Raffles, but behind a  ‘secret door’ so a lot of people don’t realise that there is a corridor there, which means not a lot of people walk past.  

Thank you Dermotsgirl. Feel a little bit more reassured now! Can you remember if it's actually a reasonably sized window and also a reasonably sized cabin? I've only previously stayed in balcony cabins but am on a rather smaller budget this time so a sea view cabin is going to be a new experience for me!

1 hour ago, EA1978 said:

Thank you Dermotsgirl. Feel a little bit more reassured now! Can you remember if it's actually a reasonably sized window and also a reasonably sized cabin? I've only previously stayed in balcony cabins but am on a rather smaller budget this time so a sea view cabin is going to be a new experience for me!

It’s a good sized picture window.

The cabin was smaller than the balcony cabins, but, in order to get more useable floor space, we had the beds set up as twin instead of double. There was sufficient storage space, especially as we were on longer than average cruises. I’d happily stay in D174 again 

• Like 2

We had been looking at the cabins in that location, but as we walked along that corridor (near to the door into the Costa coffee bar), there was a food smell in the late evening.  It was possibly coming from a kitchen for Sindu, which is probably the other side of that corridor.

Does that food smell go into those cabins at night, or is it restricted to the corridor?

3 hours ago, tring said:

We had been looking at the cabins in that location, but as we walked along that corridor (near to the door into the Costa coffee bar), there was a food smell in the late evening.  It was possibly coming from a kitchen for Sindu, which is probably the other side of that corridor.

Does that food smell go into those cabins at night, or is it restricted to the corridor?

As Sindhu is on the starboard side of the ship.   I would imagine that Sindhu's kitchen is somewhere the starboard side. D174 is on portside -   when we travelled, we didn't notice any food smells in our corridor behind the 'secret door', and definitely not in the cabin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As Sindhu is on the starboard side of the ship.   I would imagine that Sindhu's kitchen is somewhere the starboard side. D174 is on portside -   when we travelled, we didn't notice any food smells in our corridor behind the 'secret door', and definitely not in the cabin. 

I agree. I’ve never noticed any kitchen aromas on the port side. I’ve stayed in D176 and D182. Great location.

• Like 3

On 10/20/2023 at 3:41 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

Can I also ask you Dermotsgirl if you felt much movement in cabin D174 when the ship was in motion as it's in the mid-forward section of the ship I understand?

4 hours ago, EA1978 said:

Can I also ask you Dermotsgirl if you felt much movement in cabin D174 when the ship was in motion as it's in the mid-forward section of the ship I understand?

We didn't feel much movement in that cabin - and that was coming back across the Atlantic in October.

If I go back on Aurora, it'll be highly likely that I would pick that cabin, or a cabin near it, rather than a balcony cabin.