New Year’s Eve on Oceania - what to expect?

cruisemom42

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I will be on Insignia on NYE. How does Oceania welcome the New Year? Is there a festive dinner in the GDR or is it a good night for a specialty restaurant? What happens at midnight - music, dancing, champagne, etc?

We were on the Marina for New Year’s Eve several years ago. Dinner in the MDR was delicious, with several holiday entrees offered. The midnight party was on the pool deck (we were in the South Pacific). Lovely colored lights, champagne, dancing, DJ and live music. Cardboard top hats and plastic tiaras for everyone. The entertainment staff mingled about, ensuring cheer for all. (No fireworks, however, as they would have been dangerous and environmentally naughty.)

Passenger dress was mostly country club casual, with a few tuxedos and evening dresses mixed in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, newcomm said:

We were on the Marina for New Year’s Eve several years ago. Dinner in the MDR was delicious, with several holiday entrees offered. The midnight party was on the pool deck (we were in the South Pacific). Lovely colored lights, champagne, dancing, DJ and live music. Cardboard top hats and plastic tiaras for everyone. The entertainment staff mingled about, ensuring cheer for all. (No fireworks, however, as they would have been dangerous and environmentally naughty.)

Passenger dress was mostly country club casual, with a few tuxedos and evening dresses mixed in.

I concur with a similar experience on the Nautica. Only thing left unsaid was on a full ship, attendance after 11:00 was maybe 50 people and dwindling. By midnight, maybe 35-40. Those of us left did have a good time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

We had a Christmas & NYE cruise on the Riviera several years ago.

As a side note, there were some children on board, and the small open area on the opposite side of the ship from The Sanctuary (we love that, even though we always get a balcony anyway) was "reserved" for <something about children's activities>.  We NEVER saw a single child there, and by the end of the cruise, a few adults were sometimes seen sitting there reading.  

Both "Eve" festivities were very pleasant, but subdued compared with how we assume most people celebrate.

As a side note, the year before, we had taken a similar cruise on NCL's Pearl, in the Haven.  That Haven was very nice.  But after ONE trip out of the Haven on Christmas Eve, we were literally acosted by one roving gang (emphasis on GANG) of kids after another.  Totally out of control.  Charging into elevators before letting anyone off; charging people in hallways while looking them directly in the eyes.

And the entire ship was rowdy, crowded, and NOISY.  NEVER AGAIN.

But I digress.

Did I mention how much we enjoyed the *subdued* celebrations on Riviera? 😉 

However, there were LOTS of people still around the pool at midnight.  That's at least in part a function of the different capacities of the O and R class ships, I assume.

It was definitely a very festive affair.  

Attire ranged from very "dressy" (tux, gown) to somewhat dressy, to the classic chic casual.  If some were there in more casual attire, I didn't notice, but I wasn't at all checking for that, and it wouldn't have bothered us at all.

For us, it was a "just perfect" celebratory atmosphere.

Music, sparkly lights, including things handed out to guests, hats/tiaras, and definitely champagne at midnight on NYE!  Okay, perhaps it was sparkling white wine; I don't remember.  We prefer fine red Bordeaux, so we didn't pay a lot of attention.  It was "definitely festive!".  😁

We were slightly disappointed in the MDR dining on the two "Eves".  We probably would have done better in one our our favorite Specialties, but we LOVE a couple of the specialties, so our view the MDR on that may differ from others.

We tend to increase the "specialty" dining by having some of our favorite Specialty meals served in our PH. That's a real treat, especially after a busy day off the ship.

GC

• Thanks 2

Yes it will be festive, in a somewhat subdued way - we had a great time

Our experience was NYE 2019 so may have changed lol

I don't recall dinner being much different. Terraces has the most leeway to have a special menu; specialties rarely vary (one exception: onboard for Thanksgiving 2021 you could get a traditional turkey dinner in any dining venue)

Later in evening there were headbands/2019 goggles etc available plus I think some passed canapes and a midnight toast.

We were anchored off Aruba (docked during day, but the fireworks barge was too close to dock for us to be there at night) and spent a lovely midnight out on deck watching the fireworks. There was pretty good attendance on deck, this was Insignia

It was festive and also somewhat subdued - we had a great time. Not sure if there was special music, there may have been but we were more focused on the fireworks

• Thanks 2

My wife and I were circumnavigating Australia on Regatta during New Years Eve  2019/20 (barely pre-Covid). The New Years celebration was wonderful...perhaps our most memorable!  The MDR meal had special touches but the Pool Deck party was fabulous.  The ship's band provided great music. Lots of dancing including a pop-up performance by fellow passengers coached by the ship's singers and dancers.  Party hats, streamers and noise-makers in abundance.  Both hot tubs had been drained and filled with ice and stocked with champagne free for all.  The deck was crowded and the mood was very festive.  The countdown to 2020 was recited by all, followed by hugs with friends and others in reach.  Things wound down a bit after midnight but the party continued until nearly 1 AM.  As we danced back to our cabin we knew we had experienced  a night we wouldn't soon forget!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Brentwood Bay said:

My wife and I were circumnavigating Australia on Regatta during New Years Eve  2019/20 (barely pre-Covid). The New Years celebration was wonderful...perhaps our most memorable!  The MDR meal had special touches but the Pool Deck party was fabulous.  The ship's band provided great music. Lots of dancing including a pop-up performance by fellow passengers coached by the ship's singers and dancers.  Party hats, streamers and noise-makers in abundance.  Both hot tubs had been drained and filled with ice and stocked with champagne free for all.  The deck was crowded and the mood was very festive.  The countdown to 2020 was recited by all, followed by hugs with friends and others in reach.  Things wound down a bit after midnight but the party continued until nearly 1 AM.  As we danced back to our cabin we knew we had experienced  a night we wouldn't soon forget!

Sounds like a memorable experience!

On 10/21/2023 at 9:22 AM, Brentwood Bay said:

Really pleased to read your post.

We are doing “your” cruise in 24/25, also on Regatta.

I’m getting my party dress ready!