We Got an Upgrade Offer (and not sure why…)

rkaratsu

So we are currently on the Explorer in Japan. While in Tokyo for the pre cruise tour, I got a phone call @1am from my Regent person (probably wasn’t aware of the time difference. I saw who was calling but was so jet lagged that I didn’t answer (I was fast asleep when he called!) Actually, the first thing that came to mind was that the cruise was cancelled but figured if it was, it could wait until morning…)

Anyway, later that morning when I listened to the voice message, I was told that a Master Suite had opened up and for $3K p/p, we could upgrade. (We were booked in a PHC.) I emailed (pretty much on a whim) saying if Regent would accept $1K p/p, we would upgrade. Next thing you know, I heard back that my offer was accepted so if I wanted upgrade, I just needed to authorize credit card.

So anyway, here we are in a Master Suite. TBH, it is way too big for us (and what am I going to do with a piano) but having the second bathroom is nice. Also will take advantage of eating anytime/any day in specialty restaurants. (Went to Pacific Rim tonight.) And got a bottle of Veuve Cliquot. All I need to do now is make some friends on board so I can host a cocktail party and decide which ship’s officer I would like to have dinner with. (I am thinking the food and beverage manager.)

And the big question I have is why I (who am *not* a Regent cruiser of any particular status) who does not use a travel agent would be given this offer. (Or is this not such a good deal? Pretty obvious the Regent was desperate to get anything to fill this suite.)

Oh one last thing: maybe I can learn to play the piano on this cruise! (I’m surprised the piano actually works!)

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

On Explorer in September, we were offered to upgrade from Concierge to Explorer suite about five days before we sailed,  It was wonderful.  Enjoy it!  I think the piano is a player piano so try that out too.

Curious on the upgrades - did you book direct with Regent or through a travel agency?  I am curious if that has anything to do with who is offered upgrades like this.

10 hours ago, Bruce61 said:

Curious on the upgrades - did you book direct with Regent or through a travel agency?  I am curious if that has anything to do with who is offered upgrades like this.

I’m curious that since they mentioned they booked through regent directly vs a travel agent, would they have to give up a travel agent fee for the additional add on? I would assume so they may call Regent booked guests first? 

On our first Regent cruise, we were upgraded to a concierge suite.  I'm just guessing, but I think it is to expose newbies to such a wonderful experience that it makes you want to book again.  Guess what?  It worked!

I am a first time cruiser on Regent and looking forward to comparing the experience. Was on Azamara last year on 3 of their itineraries and defected to Regent. I will be on the Navigator out of Singapore to Sydney. Anyone done it? I can’t seem to find any cruise critic feeds??

You're fortunate that you had the opportunity to sail in a much larger suite at a substantially discounted price.

Technically, what you received was an "Upsell" not and "Upgrade." The "Why" is simple. Regent made money from your upsell and also even more money if it could resell your original cabin.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, giustot said:

You're fortunate that you had the opportunity to sail in a much larger suite at a substantially discounted price.

Technically, what you received was an "Upsell" not and "Upgrade." The "Why" is simple. Regent made money from your upsell and also even more money if it could resell your original cabin.

There is nothing wrong with that. Sometimes passengers seem to forget Regent is a business and needs to be profitable.

The upswell we have been offered are usually not a bad deal if one wants to try a bigger suite.

The best we have ever had years ago was someone wanting our suit at apparently almost any price…..

10 hours ago, giustot said:

NOPE!!!  I know the difference.  It was not an upsell - it was given to us gratis when we checked in.

• Like 1