To sail or not to sail: that is the question?

cachouonacruise

I was in Australia and New Zealand just a few days ago. There were truly no issues, not even travel delays. The ship arrived and departed from each port on time. Australia JUST dropped their last remaining covid test requirements to board a cruise so even they are not backtracking either. There is very little chance of getting stranded. 

Also, I’m from Denver and never have had a fight disaster. Do not book flights that takeoff or land in the afternoon in the summer, thank me later!

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

To my observation is that all of those who have gotten the current Coved vac, and all prior suggested vacs, are very unlikely to either get it or transmit it to others. That is highly recommended before travel. E 95  masks do a moderate job of preventing the wearer from getting it, and a much better job at preventing infections from the wearer to spread. First defense is from the vac. If you are so fully vaxed and wear a mask only when in a crowd, all should be fine. 

Best practices on a cruise would be to wash hands and avoid touching your face after handling menus or buffet serving utensils, touching elevator buttons, holding handrails, opening doors, etc. People need to be aware that the Florida Surgeon General (and many other physicians) are actually advising against getting the Covid booster for individuals under 65 due to the documented risk of myocarditis and pericarditis. Use discernment if you are older than that. My observation is also different in that many of my friends and relatives (of all ages) who are fully vaccinated have still gotten Covid multiple times, even having severe symptoms. There are many reports on cruise critic of fully-vaccinated people getting Covid when on a recent cruise. What I do find interesting is that I personally do not know anyone unvaccinated who actually got Covid a second time after having the original strain. Maybe natural immunity is working as it should. 

On 10/23/2023 at 1:30 AM, cachouonacruise said:

Thank-you, again all for your insight! 

Australia/New-Zealand is indeed a trip of a lifetime, and I really doubt, that if I cancel it, I will ever have an opportunity to re-do it.

Of course, world events and the recent warning issued by the American government, raised concerns for me.

To add to these concerns, were personal ones: So far, our flights, for that trip, were cancelled twice...and we're still months away from our trip. ( This never, ever, happened to me before,....and I have flown quite a bit in my life). More significantly, my BIL, who planned this trip with us and was supposed to be on board with us, recently passed away, suddenly and tragically. 

But, the argument some of you raised regarding having only one life to live rings a bell. And, it brings me to the conclusion, that living in fear...is not living, really.

So, I will continue to keep an eye on world events, as a precaution and continue to plan ahead for this trip. In a way, in this dark period, it gives me something positive to dream about and to look forward to.

Thanks again for your thoughts! 

i think that is a well thought out approach... hope you will be at peace!

• Thanks 1

@cachouonacruise Of course,you and your DW will make the ultimate decision whether to take the cruise or not.

I think that you posted on this board to get some input to guide that decision.

Most of the posters are encouraging you to proceed with your travel plans.

I have some experience with travel and Covid. I will briefly share this with you.

My DH and I are completely vaxed. He is 72,I am 70 and I have asthma.We had been very careful about contracting Covid because of our ages and my respiratory issues. We recently had the latest Moderna shot.

In early June, we took a Summit cruise to Bermuda out of Bayonne as we could easily drive to the port.

On the fifth day of the cruise, I woke up in the late night with stomach cramps and continuously used the bathroom for three hours.

I remained in the cabin the next day, as I had no appetite and felt weak.

Then following day, the acute symptoms were relieved so I went around the ship, thinking it was a gastro 24 hour virus.

When we got home, I still felt weak so DH advised taking a Binax Covid test.

It was positive. Family Dr advised that stomach issues were a symptom of Covid. It took about a week to test negative and I continued to be easily fatigued for several weeks.

My husband did not get Covid.

Fast forward to recent conversations with friends/family.

My cousin was on a land tour of Ireland and Scotland this past September.

A number of participants on their tour contracted Covid with upper respiratory symptoms.

Both she and her husband did not get sick.

But, she was very aware that the situation was one where they also could have gotten Covid. She was very glad when they returned home and felt that the exposure to the virus in close quarters on the tour bus affected their enjoyment of the tour to a certain degree.

Friends chartered a private yacht to sail among the Greek Isles a few weeks ago.

Upon returning home, he felt ill and tested positive with severe cold symptoms. She followed a few days later and has texted me today that he has tested negative, but she remains positive and is still feeling unwell.

They are glad for one thing-that they are sick at home and not somewhere in Greece as they have consulted with their family Dr and have followed his advice rather than trying to recuperate in a foreign country.

Lastly, a young friend of ours-mid thirties and in good physical shape returned from Finland. She also contracted Covid and was ill shortly after arriving home.

Covid continues. It affects different people in different ways.

We are not “afraid” of contracting that virus, however, if we are going to be sick, we would rather it be at home where we are known to our health professionals and have trust in them.

Someone suggested here that if you would like to take a cruise vacation, maybe something in the US or Bermuda or the Caribbean would be a more comfortable choice for you and your DW as those  destinations are closer to home.

While Australia and NZ are enticing destinations, it may not be the time for you to venture so far from home given your considerations regarding taking this cruise.

I think a decision would come down to your risk tolerance and possible solutions to the what-ifs that are coming to mind for your comfort level.

Your concerns are understandable.

As I said , only you and DH can make the ultimate decision.

MJ)🙋🏻‍♀️

• Thanks 1