Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

NYC to Bermuda - January?


wezie
 Share

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I hear you.  I can only speak for myself, but the walk would be a good time.  it wouldn't be about spending the money on the taxi.  Granted it's not much of a walk (being that it's only about 30 minutes), but it's better than nothing.

If you are trundling a wheeled bag over rough sidewalks and up and down curbs, or carrying a heavy carry-on those long east-west blocks and then about a half mile uptown, I would not view that walk as a “good time”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I hear you.  I can only speak for myself, but the walk would be a good time.  it wouldn't be about spending the money on the taxi.  Granted it's not much of a walk (being that it's only about 30 minutes), but it's better than nothing.

Maybe you will run into Daredevil. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you are trundling a wheeled bag over rough sidewalks and up and down curbs, or carrying a heavy carry-on those long east-west blocks and then about a half mile uptown, I would not view that walk as a “good time”.

to each, his/her own  

 

heavy???  we're talking about going on a cruise, not a ruck march

Edited by dbrown84
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

???

Marvel comic book hero Daredevil, and also Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, villain William Fisk live in the neighborhood. Did you know the neighborhood is known as Hells Kitchen? It used to be a rough neighborhood. It now mostly gentrified. The comic books and later TV shows are set in a pre gentrified version. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

We are talking about late morning or early afternoon while getting to the cruise terminal - while not a  prime New York neighborhood, it is pretty safe that time of day.. Of course, if I am paying for a cruise I am likely to be willing to spring for a $10 or so taxi ride rather than trundle my bags for a half hour or so -- it is meant to be a good time, after all.

Agree, I wouldnt walk it if I had bags plural.  And I wouldnt mind spending $10. I think one of my first questions was is a cab really $11-14 because I find that hard to believe but that's what Rome2Rio has.  This is (one) reason why there is Uber. A lot of people have learned not to believe an estimate like that from experience

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2023 at 9:36 AM, Smitheroo said:

Thanks, good to know  Its been awhile since I walked NYC but I have been hearing terrible reports. 

Don't believe things you hear from slanted sources, especially Facebook and other social media sites.   Ask people who live or have visited those locations or check trustworthy statistics.

 

All these "seedy" and "sketchy" and "terrible" comments just show a consistent lack of real research and a failure to accept replies to the contrary

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Don't believe things you hear from slanted sources, especially Facebook and other social media sites.   Ask people who live or have visited those locations or check trustworthy statistics.

 

All these "seedy" and "sketchy" and "terrible" comments just show a consistent lack of real research and a failure to accept replies to the contrary

there's plenty in the news to know that it isnt all made up for social media- and do not get started with Faux News please.  There is an increase in crime. For the most part I'm not overly concerned and do go to places where this has happened    But hauling a suitcase through an area thought that could be sketchy is asking for trouble.  And your opinion is one of the many opinions I would take into consideration.  as in social media says NYC is riddled with crime but here is this person who lives there and says otherwise. Not all reported in social media is a lie or grossly exaggerated. Some of it is  based on fact.

Edited by Smitheroo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

there's plenty in the news to know that it isnt all made up for social media- and do not get started with Faux News please.  There is an increase in crime. For the most part I'm not overly concerned and do go to places where this has happened    But hauling a suitcase through an area thought that could be sketchy is asking for trouble.  And your opinion is one of the many opinions I would take into consideration.  as in social media says NYC is riddled with crime but here is this person who lives there and says otherwise. Not all reported in social media is a lie or grossly exaggerated. Some of it is  based on fact.

Considering NO one is agreeing with your 'sketchy' theory it seems to me that it's time for you to move ahead with your thinking.

 

Most social media is garbage.  And it is destroying our minds as we trust these "friends" we never would be in touch with if not for Facebook instead of actually doing a bit of research ourselves and using critical theory.  If you are the one person who can identify fact from fictions on social media then you are truly a special individual.

 

Do the research yourself.  Look at the stats.  And then listen to the folks who have boots on the ground there.  I've only recently moved from the Northeast to SoCal, and we spent at least 2 weeks in NYC every year for the past 30 years, mostly on the west side and I've walked those streets every year of the past 20+ years.  They are quiet, they are full of warehouses and light industry (UPS, Storage Facilities, etc) but they have never been seedy, unless seedy means "not glitzy and full of shops and restaurants" and they have never felt sketchy to either of us.

Edited by Nitemare
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Considering NO one is agreeing with your 'sketchy' theory it seems to me that it's time for you to move ahead with your thinking.

 

Most social media is garbage.  And it is destroying our minds as we trust these "friends" we never would be in touch with if not for Facebook instead of actually doing a bit of research ourselves and using critical theory.  If you are the one person who can identify fact from fictions on social media then you are truly a special individual.

 

Do the research yourself.  Look at the stats.  And then listen to the folks who have boots on the ground there.  I've only recently moved from the Northeast to SoCal, and we spent at least 2 weeks in NYC every year for the past 30 years, mostly on the west side and I've walked those streets every year of the past 20+ years.  They are quiet, they are full of warehouses and light industry (UPS, Storage Facilities, etc) but they have never been seedy, unless seedy means "not glitzy and full of shops and restaurants" and they have never felt sketchy to either of us.

No one here might  be  agreeing  with my sketchy neighborhood theory but you can be sure there are plenty wondering about it and would never even verbalize the question I did. They just wouldnt do it!  Whether or not it was a real threat or not but base their decision on what they have heard.  You are entitled to your opinion about social media. And I'm not going to make an in depth analysis of NYC crime to answer a simple question.    And I'm thinking my history with NYC might go back a little more than yours does. If you knew me you would know that I am not influenced by what others think other than to give me a general idea of what I am asking about.  And it seems like I have personally insulted you with my question.  Some people managed to answer it and stay calm

Edited by Smitheroo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Smitheroo said:

No one here might  be  agreeing  with my sketchy neighborhood theory but you can be sure there are plenty wondering about it and would never even verbalize the question I did. They just wouldnt do it!  Whether or not it was a real threat or not but base their decision on what they have heard.  You are entitled to your opinion about social media. And I'm not going to make an in depth analysis of NYC crime to answer a simple question.    And I'm thinking my history with NYC might go back a little more than yours does.  

Cool.  They will either stop wondering when they see the replies or they won't but you bringing it up again and again using different wording isn't going to help them (or you, obviously).

 

Your "history" doesn't mean anything compared to mine as mine is recent and you haven't been to these places.


And with that, I'm leaving this part of the conversation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

there's plenty in the news to know that it isnt all made up for social media- and do not get started with Faux News please.  There is an increase in crime. For the most part I'm not overly concerned and do go to places where this has happened    But hauling a suitcase through an area thought that could be sketchy is asking for trouble.  And your opinion is one of the many opinions I would take into consideration.  as in social media says NYC is riddled with crime but here is this person who lives there and says otherwise. Not all reported in social media is a lie or grossly exaggerated. Some of it is  based on fact.

and P.S.  Isnt what we are on a form of social media ?  and here you are

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2023 at 9:37 PM, navybankerteacher said:

If you are trundling a wheeled bag over rough sidewalks and up and down curbs, or carrying a heavy carry-on those long east-west blocks and then about a half mile uptown, I would not view that walk as a “good time”.

I agree with you.  I mistakingly wondered about the neighborhood also being "seedy" and was lambasted.  Might not be any seedier than any other NYC neighborhood (maybe) but still might not be a pleasant stroll navigating cars, icy ruts in the street, or ankle high slush, lugging a 50 lb suitcase.  Different experience in the summer i'm sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah yes, the "no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded" argument.

 

Slush sucks.  I'd never recommend pulling luggage in slush.  Slush season is the worst season in NYC.  Rain is fine you can see rain and the puddles. Snow is fine because you don't get very wet and it's pretty in the city.  But slush, which you usually get after a couple inches of snow is the worst

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...