Villa Vie Residences

Host Jazzbeau

So the ship still at anchor (probably the cost of a dock is out of question...) Now they are telling them they need to go back to load water and some other stuff.(even thought can make their own with the onboard osmosis plant..) I think they are having liquidity issues... do they have the money to pay cover the OPEX and CAPEX of the vessel ?

The pair that does the villa vie vlog (basically promotional videos with affiliate links..) said that they have 150 passengers but they ware going to load more from Spain and Bermuda. The numbers dont add up... I Hope I'm wrong here but we might be seeing the last act of this drama, just before they start defaulting on their loans.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Giovanni66 said:

So the ship still at anchor (probably the cost of a dock is out of question...) Now they are telling them they need to go back to load water and some other stuff.(even thought can make their own with the onboard osmosis plant..) I think they are having liquidity issues... do they have the money to pay cover the OPEX and CAPEX of the vessel ?

The pair that does the villa vie vlog (basically promotional videos with affiliate links..) said that they have 150 passengers but they ware going to load more from Spain and Bermuda. The numbers dont add up... I Hope I'm wrong here but we might be seeing the last act of this drama, just before they start defaulting on their loans.

Yeah, they've been saying they're "ready to go any minute" since Tuesday morning but are still sitting out off the coast of Bangor this morning. In the last few days they've given several explanations (excuses?):

- have to return to port to get paperwork finalised 

- need to get more fuel before sailing

- need potable water 

- waiting on a company in Finland to give a technical explanation about a "tiny unexpected bend in the ship’s structure" that's apparently been there since the ship was built

The above might be true to some degree, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but something doesn't add up and every day theres a new, creative reason for the delay. In any case, even if they left now they have no hope of getting to Brest by early tomorrow morning as they indicated / as shown on Marinetraffic. 

47 minutes ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

Yeah, they've been saying they're "ready to go any minute" since Tuesday morning but are still sitting out off the coast of Bangor this morning. In the last few days they've given several explanations (excuses?):

- have to return to port to get paperwork finalised 

- need to get more fuel before sailing

- need potable water 

- waiting on a company in Finland to give a technical explanation about a "tiny unexpected bend in the ship’s structure" that's apparently been there since the ship was built

The above might be true to some degree, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but something doesn't add up and every day theres a new, creative reason for the delay. In any case, even if they left now they have no hope of getting to Brest by early tomorrow morning as they indicated / as shown on Marinetraffic. 

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Haha 1

I have this nagging concern that Mikael is acting as though he is captain rather or as well as  CEO, and the potential implications for safety and quality.  

I’m thinking of the constant expense/safety contentions that there will always be day in and day out and the captain/ceo relationship/dynamic.  Will he be constantly sacking captains?  Will they be “inexpensive” and “inexperienced” captains. And what experience will  there be in the captain for example for the transatlantic and other demanding crossings?  I find it concerning. 

In an interview a day or so back he managed to tell the people of Belfast that they drunk too much and couldn’t cook.  To put it mildly that was dumb. 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I have this nagging concern that Mikael is acting as though he is captain rather or as well as  CEO, and the potential implications for safety and quality.  

I’m thinking of the constant expense/safety contentions that there will always be day in and day out and the captain/ceo relationship/dynamic.  Will he be constantly sacking captains?  Will they be “inexpensive” and “inexperienced” captains. And what experience will  there be in the captain for example for the transatlantic and other demanding crossings?  I find it concerning. 

In an interview a day or so back he managed to tell the people of Belfast that they drunk too much and couldn’t cook.  To put it mildly that was dumb. 

Jeff

Yeah, I saw that quote too. Pretty unprofessional and quite petty for a CEO to come off with that to be honest.

I think people in Belfast would be well within their right to respond to Mike with "You break promises too often and can't run a company" 😂

Funny you mentioned safety, I was looking at the way some of the residents have fitted out their cabins. Lot of breakable things like bottles and glasses just sitting on open shelves. That's going to be dangerous the minute they hit rough seas, which based on the weather forecasts could be as early as start of next week. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Giovanni66 said:

So the ship still at anchor (probably the cost of a dock is out of question...)

Cost of docking in Belfast would be $7200 per week or part thereof.

3 hours ago, Giovanni66 said:

Now they are telling them they need to go back to load water and some other stuff.(even thought can make their own with the onboard osmosis plant..)

You cannot run any watermaking equipment when within 12 miles of land, or not underway.

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I doubt that in the 18 employees of VVR, that there is a technical superintendent, or a marine superintendent.  The technical superintendent deals with the shoreside support of the ship's mechanical and hull maintenance, spare parts, etc.  The marine superintendent deals with the ship's operational concerns, like class surveys, port agents, arranging bunkers, etc.  Yes, the Captain and Chief Engineer know a lot about these things, but they have other duties that take up their time, which is why you have the superintendents on shore to make sure the shipboard people have all they need to operate.  This CEO has no knowledge or experience in this, and this will lead to problems down the road.

• Like 3

On the basis of the previously noted fragile temperament of Mikael when asked questions, I wonder whether anyone has had the courage of asking him when he plans to put the ship into first gear and move somewhere. 

EDITED: 9kn!  Off to Greenock.  Lovely area to gain a scar or two if they go for a wander. Hope they have a First Aid kit on board. “See you Jimmy”!

This is exciting.  One moment Bilbao.  Then Brest,  Then Belfast.  Now Scotland.  

Magical Mystery Tour!

😁

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

VVR is moving, at a stunning 9knots.

Initially cruise mapper had the next destination as Brest, while they were floating around. 

Now, as they appear to actually move, it changed to "south". I guess they might roll the dice for a destination while speed racing at 9 knots.🤣

They're going to Scotland to bunker and get some supplies.  It's doing 12.6 knots right now.

Why do some of you want this to fail so badly?

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

It’s great news that they are moving.

On the BBC they just showed an exuberant and extremely happy  blogger on board.  

The ship was moving briskly and she was celebrating the fact that they were now moving rapidly towards Scotland.  Evidently Mikael hadn’t told them it was France.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

It’s great news that they are moving.

On the BBC they just showed an exuberant and extremely happy  blogger on board.  

The ship was moving briskly and she was celebrating the fact that they were now moving rapidly towards Scotland.  Evidently Mikael hadn’t told them it was France.

Jeff

It changed to France and bloggers have acknowledged that.  Scotland was only on the table for a short while.  And, it was announced onboard.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BND said:

It changed to France and bloggers have acknowledged that.  Scotland was only on the table for a short while.  And, it was announced onboard.

Thanks, yes I know.

I was simply posting the fact that it was seen to be announced on board after those that weren’t on board knew.  The number and speed of these constant changes feeds into the impression of it being shambolic particularly when the BBC makes it an object of national fun and dumbness.

To give you my personal opinion about your earlier point.  

I think many have a genuine heartfelt wish and concern to see the passengers  receive what they have been promised and certainly do not wish this to fail.  This desire isn’t in my view at odds with the genuine concern at the optics of how this looks and is being badly managed and the bewilderment of the tosses and turns that seems to be heaped on them.  Many of the cabin owner people that aren’t uber-posiitive bloggers may well be terrified and share concerns expressed here - and may even appreciate solidarity and empathy.

It’s not difficult to be extremely concerned about the  history and progress of this venture and see expressing those concerns as solidarity with the cabin owners. 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 3

Now for the great social science experiment: what was the 1960's experiment, with the college students, pretending to be jailers called?  Of yes, "the Stanford Prison Experiment," as well as the very real Johnstown.  This will be the most interesting production of "Big Brother," we have ever witnessed. 

14 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

Now for the great social science experiment: what was the 1960's experiment, with the college students, pretending to be jailers called?  Of yes, "the Stanford Prison Experiment," as well as the very real Johnstown.  This will be the most interesting production of "Big Brother," we have ever witnessed. 

You can't be serious about those comparisons.  Wow. Johnstown?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BND said:

I don't mean the deaths; I meant the complete, total, & absolute control, exhibited by the cult following.  The CEO has the same messiah complex and much like with L. Ron Hubbard, life aboard this vessel should be quite interesting.   

19 minutes ago, BND said:

You might be interested in post #360

Two purchasers have already  summarily been kicked off on an opaque vote.  Jenny Phenix’s questions about this process and other questions featured in a youtube interviews are interesting. 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

You might be interested in post #360

Two purchasers have already  summarily been kicked off on an opaque vote.

Jeff

I know about the two passengers.  That wasn't the point.  I also know the history of Johnstown and that is a perverse comparison.

6 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

I don't mean the deaths; I meant the complete, total, & absolute control, exhibited by the cult following.  The CEO has the same messiah complex and much like with L. Ron Hubbard, life aboard this vessel should be quite interesting.   

What will be interesting is following along on this adventure.  And, that's what it is for most of them, an adventure.  For the most part those that have bought a cabin are experienced travelers and cruisers.