Villa Vie Residences

Host Jazzbeau

3 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

Yet to add complication, I saw a documentary about Switzerland, where custom officers taxed French groceries coming across the border towns.  I thought there were no taxes on EU food products, across Europe?  

Switzerland is not in the EU.  This time you're conflating a continental mass with a political union!

[P.S. Freedom of movement of people is not the same as freedom of movement of goods.]

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

Switzerland is not in the EU.  This time you're conflating a continental mass with a political union!

[P.S. Freedom of movement of people is not the same as freedom of movement of goods.]

But, UK was part of EU before, but your saying they allowed "free movement of products", but not people; but Switzerland, which is not in EU, allows people, but not goods?  Wow, quite complicated.

Edited by gkbiiii

18 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

But, UK was part of EU before, but your saying they allowed "free movement of products", but not people; but Switzerland, which is not in EU, allows people, but not goods?  Wow, quite complicated.

When U.K. was in the EU, there was free movement of goods and people, but the latter subject to passport control as we weren’t in Schengen. Switzerland is not in the EU but has numerous separate treaties with the EU, including being part of Schengen. Norway is in a somewhat similar position.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

Some of these comments are damming.

You have to take a lot of the comments with a pinch of salt but one Shannon Smith seems to know what they’re talking about.

6 hours ago, Leither said:

You have to take a lot of the comments with a pinch of salt but one Shannon Smith seems to know what they’re talking about.

This is the Miami maritime attorney, that I have personally recommended, to the women thrown off vessel.  He is well know in Miami, for getting results for cruise passengers, for tort litigation.

25 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

This is the Miami maritime attorney, that I have personally recommended, to the women thrown off vessel.  He is well know in Miami, for getting results for cruise passengers, for tort litigation.

Why is it Americans always seem to be so quick to involve lawyers?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leither said:

Why is it Americans always seem to be so quick to involve lawyers?

Because it is so very easy to sue and doesn't cost the person suing a penny unless they win and then the lawyer claims a percentage.  Every other commercial in FL is for a law firm and how they can "help" you.  In VA, we have a lot of ads too, but we see a lot more in FL when we're there.

Looks like they couldn't get off the ship in Gijon today. Maybe tomorrow?

Living Life on a Cruise
Update: Tides Holding Us Hostage 🌊🙃 Hey everyone! So, the winds have calmed down (no more 55 knots 🌬️), but the tides still aren’t letting us go! We’ve docked in Gijón, but no one’s getting off today. 🚢 So, it looks like we’re having another onboard day of fun (and maybe a little storm-watching 🌊💨). At this point, the ship’s starting to feel like our private island! 😆 We’ll keep you posted if anything changes, but for now, we’re safe and sound onboard.

43 minutes ago, LA_FadeAway said:

Looks like they couldn't get off the ship in Gijon today. Maybe tomorrow?

Living Life on a Cruise
Update: Tides Holding Us Hostage 🌊🙃 Hey everyone! So, the winds have calmed down (no more 55 knots 🌬️), but the tides still aren’t letting us go! We’ve docked in Gijón, but no one’s getting off today. 🚢 So, it looks like we’re having another onboard day of fun (and maybe a little storm-watching 🌊💨). At this point, the ship’s starting to feel like our private island! 😆 We’ll keep you posted if anything changes, but for now, we’re safe and sound onboard.

Pardon my French but both the black water tanks and Lanette are full of the same thing. VVR didn't pay the port charges for the passengers (again) that's why they couldn't get off the ship.  VVR's line of credit may be in the toilet too.

7 minutes ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

Pardon my French but both the black water tanks and Lanette are full of the same thing. VVR didn't pay the port charges for the passengers (again) that's why they couldn't get off the ship.  VVR's line of credit may be in the toilet too.

Yep... they blamed it on the weather yet Regent Seven Seas Splendor was sailing away in the same bay!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, as3369 said:

Yep... they blamed it on the weather yet Regent Seven Seas Splendor was sailing away in the same bay!

Are they supposed to overnight there again tomorrow night? If so, and if they still can't get off the ship then we'll know the truth. Remnants of Hurricane Kirk are gone now. 

1 minute ago, LA_FadeAway said:

Are they supposed to overnight there again tomorrow night? If so, and if they still can't get off the ship then we'll know the truth. Remnants of Hurricane Kirk are gone now. 

I really wouldn't know... and at this point, I don't know if anyone else does either.  Seems to be a spur of the moment decision and itinerary.

18 minutes ago, LA_FadeAway said:

You don't get to get off the ship if the port taxes aren't paid and they are docked in an industrial port on a busy road- they have to have a shuttle bus lined up as well.  I hope to God they let the passengers off tomorrow and if any of them have a noodle left in their brain- they will leave the ship.  Come back when the ship is fixed (or not at all). Woops sorry I read the schedule wrong.  I have no idea when they leave tomorrow.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

13 minutes ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

You don't get to get off the ship if the port taxes aren't paid and they are docked in an industrial port on a busy road- they have to have a shuttle bus lined up as well.  I hope to God they let the passengers off tomorrow and if any of them have a noodle left in their brain- they will leave the ship.  Come back when the ship is fixed (or not at all).  Oh Lord- they leave in the morning at 7:50AM.  They will be at SEA tomorrow and not get to the next port, Lisbon until Saturday (another weekend when they said before that there was no staff). Yikes- this is The voyage of the damned

Oh geez, so they are just stuck onboard until Saturday, at a minimum? That means they will have been onboard close to two weeks and been allowed off once. OMG, I just can't imagine, especially with the current conditions on board. Are we sure they didn't pay the port taxes? That doesn't bode well for their future.

6 minutes ago, LA_FadeAway said:

Oh geez, so they are just stuck onboard until Saturday, at a minimum? That means they will have been onboard close to two weeks and been allowed off once. OMG, I just can't imagine, especially with the current conditions on board. Are we sure they didn't pay the port taxes? That doesn't bode well for their future.

Sorry I edited my post I was reading the arrival time, not the departure time- there isn't a departure time on the port website.  So it's anyone's guess.  Hey- they could always jump off in the harbor. Bet some of the crew will.  

3 minutes ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

Sorry I edited my post I was reading the arrival time, not the departure time- there isn't a departure time on the port website.  So it's anyone's guess.  Hey- they could always jump off in the harbor. Bet some of the crew will.  

I really hope they get to leave the ship tomorrow, just for their sanity, if nothing else. Meanwhile, VVR now has a countdown ticker until prices go up in 8 days, LMAO. How are they still advertising the golf simulator, culinary center, and "multiple" sit down restaurants?

1 hour ago, LA_FadeAway said:

I really hope they get to leave the ship tomorrow, just for their sanity, if nothing else. Meanwhile, VVR now has a countdown ticker until prices go up in 8 days, LMAO. How are they still advertising the golf simulator, culinary center, and "multiple" sit down restaurants?

I hope I can get a cabin on the poop deck.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

I hope I can get a cabin on the poop deck.  

I don't quite understand. Why would the tides keep them onboard? Aren't they docked? This whole thing is such a crock of poop! 

Yes

14 minutes ago, Leither said:

As of 12:15 U.K. time, it’s now left Gijon, en route to Lisbon according to VesselFinder.

Yes they are at sea, which means the passengers were never allowed off the ship in port.  So recap of the Odyssey "Ultimate World Cruise"- the left four months late, their first "exciting" port was Brest, France and they weren't allowed off.  Second port was Bilbao, Spain, which no one's really heard of either. Then onto another random port, Gijon, Spain where they were overnighting but guess what?  Couldn't get off the ship.  Now a sea day and then Lisbon.  Something tells me they will dock in Lisbon because passengers are getting on there.  Still- is this insane?

22 minutes ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

Yes

Yes they are at sea, which means the passengers were never allowed off the ship in port.  So recap of the Odyssey "Ultimate World Cruise"- the left four months late, their first "exciting" port was Brest, France and they weren't allowed off.  Second port was Bilbao, Spain, which no one's really heard of either. Then onto another random port, Gijon, Spain where they were overnighting but guess what?  Couldn't get off the ship.  Now a sea day and then Lisbon.  Something tells me they will dock in Lisbon because passengers are getting on there.  Still- is this insane?

I wish Mikael and Kathy would engage with the world and provide cogent and detailed reasons and plausible plans why stuff has gone so badly wrong and  why anyone believing that they were not now selling more cabins to extract maximum cash before a pre-planned implosion for a ship that a previous Braemar engineer and staff captain has stated will not last the course - are all wrong. 

I want to be wrong because if I am right many lovely people are going to have a grim time. 

Jeff