What ship would you pick if you were taking someone on a 1st time cruise?

kaz828

On 10/28/2023 at 12:36 PM, kaz828 said:

Why so?

On 10/28/2023 at 1:12 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Obviously subject to change but the crew and dining has always been great.

I like the layout in general.  

On 10/28/2023 at 9:10 AM, navybankerteacher said:

It would largely depend upon that person’s interests. 

I was going to ask the same question.  

- Is he the guy who wants to relax and hang out at the quiet pool, or the guy who wants to be in the thick of things playing games at the main pool? 

- Will he want to gamble or sit and listen to music?  

- Is he a foodie?  
- Is he into sports?  If so, choose a ship with a sports bar.  

- Will he care about the evening shows?  If so, go with a bigger, newer ship -- they attract the best entertainment.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I was going to ask the same question.  

- Is he the guy who wants to relax and hang out at the quiet pool, or the guy who wants to be in the thick of things playing games at the main pool? 

- Will he want to gamble or sit and listen to music?  

- Is he a foodie?  
- Is he into sports?  If so, choose a ship with a sports bar.  

- Will he care about the evening shows?  If so, go with a bigger, newer ship -- they attract the best entertainment.  

Or all of the above!  The variety of available things to do is one of the things that makes taking a cruise so enjoyable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Or all of the above!  The variety of available things to do is one of the things that makes taking a cruise so enjoyable. 

Totally agree, but once we hear something about his personality /interests, we'll be in a better position to give advice. 

• 1 month later...

So My opinion again would be based off the persons interests and how active they are. Also, I always tell first time cruisers to avoid going on Ships like the Oasis class as there first cruise because then there second if not on an Oasis class or ship that size may be a let down. I think a good size ship for a first time cruiser is between 110,000 tons and 160,000 tons. Big enough for the WOW factor when arriving at the terminal, and also leaves room for them to go bigger if they want. 

As far as which cruise line, that all depends on personality as well as expectations. I have cruised all the main stream lines and I can say there are many more similarities then differences. Personally we mainly cruise either NCL or RCCL. Mainly because we like the activities on these ships such as water slides, ropes courses, Surf/boogie board wave simulator etc. Also both NCL and RCCL drink packages are truly unlimited as well work on their private islands, as all Carnival Corp ships they cap you at 15 per day and do not work on the private islands. 

I have been cruising since i was 10 years old, and now at 44 my wife and I prefer cruising in the NCL Haven as we love all the high energy activity on NCL ships but also love the Privacy and Ship within a Ship concept. Next cruise is in 28 days on the NCL Escape. Also giving MSC their first shot as we booked the Yacht club on the Seascape for September 2024. 

Everyone here will have different opinions, and as the previous poster said, once we know more about likes/dislikes more help can be given. 

On 11/7/2023 at 10:54 AM, BruceMuzz said:

Ritz-Carlton or Scenic

On 11/7/2023 at 10:55 AM, Shorex said:

Regent or Silversea.

Why?

Because without saying why you think this would be good for a first time cruiser in their 40's, it isnt very helpful.

• Thanks 1

With zero information on budget or available time frames, I would recommend all-inclusive luxury lines that provide personal attention and a very high end experience. I concur with the recommendations of Bruce Muzz, and would add Seabourn and Crystal to the mix. Paul Gauguin (mostly sails in South Pacific) and Windstar are in niches of their own and provide adventure and great enjoyment.

In the luxury lines you don't need a "ship within a ship".

4 hours ago, Shorex said:

With zero information on budget or available time frames, I would recommend all-inclusive luxury lines that provide personal attention and a very high end experience.

That seems a personal preference suggestion rather than one aimed at OP - because nothing to suggest those were factors appealing to them (as oppossed to appealing to you)

Your question can not be answered w/o knowing a lot about you and your BF.  I can tell you what our first 2 cruises were and they are unusual 1st cruises.   They also set my cruise preferences that any small ship will always be better than any big ship to a destination and also that what is outside of the ship is more important than what is inside of the ship.  Pick your ships by destination  and not by ship features. 

1) Lewis R French,  Maine Schooner.  Sailboat.  22 passengers.  Build in 1871.  https://schoonerfrench.com/

2) Alaska on a small ship.  Alaska Dream.  40 passengers.  https://adventuresmithexplorations.com/cruises/ships/alaskan-dream/ 

They were among the best cruises we have ever taken.  

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, Buck Turgidson said:

There are some great youtube videos on all the cruise ships out there.

The videos helped us a lot when we were getting ready for our recent cruise on the Oasis. We were still overwhelmed and there were parts of the ship I never saw.