Please explain the dress code for gentlemen

Tiny_Tim

22 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I certainly  feel better , even if  the shirt is worn under a jacket ... or when I walk out onto the dance floor...... without a creased backside   !  😅 

I have to say, I don't make a habit of looking at chaps' backsides, but never say never...especially after your post! 😀

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I am trying to think of possible circumstances in which I would spend even five minutes of a cruise ironing.🙂

I was about to hit the “Like” button, but realized it would be presumptuous, since DW does all our ironing, and actually likes doing it. Still, I should think that on our upcoming cruise (“crossing,” excuse me), we’ll let the ship’s laundry handle all of it. (I may have to hide the fact from DW that there are launderettes and ironing facilities onboard . . . .)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rmsEtruria said:

I was about to hit the “Like” button, but realized it would be presumptuous, since DW does all our ironing, and actually likes doing it. Still, I should think that on our upcoming cruise (“crossing,” excuse me), we’ll let the ship’s laundry handle all of it. (I may have to hide the fact from DW that there are launderettes and ironing facilities onboard . . . .)

I don’t think my husband has ever ironed, and I haven’t ironed since about 1991. And I’m sure we are happier for it. 🙂

• Like 1

When you're on a multi-thousand pound holiday, why bother about a couple of hundred USD laundry charges? It doesn't make sense.

Her indoors, takes our smalls to the self serve laundrette a couple of times during a 2 week trip, usually just before 8:00am.

We collect them less than an hour later, after breakfast.

Everything else gets sent out.

Only when they are quiet, they offer the deals. Take them if they do!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Do you think people notice the fruits of your labours?

Oh I do. Anyone who has done service for His or Her Majesty will know when it has been done properly. Men, dare I say, can iron very well and precisely, if they know what they are doing. A big if, admittedly.

• Like 1

I must admit to noticing…I remember my 6th grade teacher appearing in a dress shirt that had been pulled out of a plastic bag and worn without washing or ironing. I have always noticed since then. There are fabrics that don’t required ironing, and some that if pulled directly from the drier and hung will be fine. I wear lots of linen and actually love ironing it with a sprits of lavender water.

41 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Oh I do. Anyone who has done service for His or Her Majesty will know when it has been done properly. Men, dare I say, can iron very well and precisely, if they know what they are doing. A big if, admittedly.

A big if, indeed; I tried it decades ago and clearly belong in the “don’t know what they’ve doing” category. Speaking of service to His or Her Majesty, however, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for a response to you a few weeks ago in a different thread (“Flying from US with backpack and carryon to Queen Anne,” #22). It was meant to be humorous, the Royal Navy 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿being an institution I have admired since my early years; but it was in poor taste. 

2 minutes ago, rmsEtruria said:

A big if, indeed; I tried it decades ago and clearly belong in the “don’t know what they’ve doing” category. Speaking of service to His or Her Majesty, however, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for a response to you a few weeks ago in a different thread (“Flying from US with backpack and carryon to Queen Anne,” #22). It was meant to be humorous, the Royal Navy 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿being an institution I have admired since my early years; but it was in poor taste. 

I'm Army, not Royal Navy, so I probably agree with your sentiments actually! Sometimes we have to work with our floating brethren, who like to remind us they are the only Service which gets proper toilets. So no offence taken, you'll have to try a LOT harder than that!

• Thanks 1