No map channel with the ship speed, heading, position and location

shof515

I got off the Escape this morning and i noticed there is no map channel on the stateroom tv that showed a ton of interesting information like ship speed, position, heading, distance to next port of call, distance from previous port of call, a map that showed your position, etc. I am unable to find this channel when flipping channels and it is not listed on the channel guide

About 5 years ago when i sailed on the Escape back in the day, the ship had this channel. Why was it is removed? Is this another one of many "cutbacks" from Norwegian?

20231029_074559.jpg

• Like 1

I was on the Sky recently and no navigation channel. I asked about it at the Captain Q&A and they said that it hadn't been installed on that particular ship. Apparently it's not as simple as just putting a GPS on the ship. I believe he said it would probably be addressed the next time the ship is refurbished.

While the systems are better on some ships, this was the first ship I've been on where there wasn't anything available. But I've not been on the Escape.

11 hours ago, DominicAUS said:

On the Escape it was working for the transatlantic, but that was year ago, feels like only a few months 🥲

Sounds like we were on that cruise with you. I spent a lot of time on that channel, since on a TA you have a lot of time on your hands to do important stuff like monitoring your exact position every hour.

• Haha 4

It would be nice if they updated the system on the ships - it says "Copyright 1996" at the bottom left of the screen - and it has a pretty outdated feel. I found it was frequently locked up or just wrong on our last couple of cruises.

At the same time it probably isn't NCL's biggest problem so I don't blame them for delaying a change...