Banana Splits

lenquixote66

3 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

If you sail on an upscale cruise line, you do not have to see it on a menu.

Just ask for it - or anything else - and they will make it for you.

I realize that one can do that but I was just wondering if anyone ever ordered it from an adult menu.

On 10/30/2023 at 8:53 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I realize that one can do that but I was just wondering if anyone ever ordered it from an adult menu.

BruceMuzz is right.  You would have to order it.  Trying to put a banana split on a menu would be a problem since it is involved and a larger portion than normal.  A proper banana split includes a whole banana, vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream topped with hot fudge, strawberry compote and pineapple compote…whipped cream and a cherry!  

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

BruceMuzz is right.  You would have to order it.  Trying to put a banana split on a menu would be a problem since it is involved and a larger portion than normal.  A proper banana split includes a whole banana, vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream topped with hot fudge, strawberry compote and pineapple compote…whipped cream and a cherry!  

I used to love eating that when I was a youngster.It was twenty five cents.

• 4 months later...

We used to be able to order banana splits  ($) at O'Sheehan's on NCL Epic. Our last NCL was Getaway westbound transatlantic in 2021. I don't recall it being available but don't think we asked. After a very disappointing 3rd MSC cruise (Seashore--absolutely gorgeous ship- transatlantic in Nov 2023), we are trying Getaway again this year. We don't expect banana splits or even hard ice cream in the buffet--oatmeal raisin cookies and bread puddings would be nice. 

Re MSC, our first cruise-pre-Covid (UK and Norway ) was excellent for our standards (mediocre); the second (Apr 2022) was 25 days Genoa to Norway B2B with Norway (Baltic ports had been called off at that point). That repo cruise was pretty good. Food was good. Then, when we hit Copehagen, things changed--like service and food went way down. Acceptable but noticeably different. On the second week of Norway, it changed again--even worse. We had hoped that was all a part of trying to get things going after Covid. Our TA on Seashore proved that wrong--first cruise I'd been on in our 15 yrs of cruising that I did not gain any weight--it was for 19 days. Even the steakhouse, though ok, was not particularly good.  

Yeah, I remember enjoying a banana split as a kid too! They don't seem to make appearances on cruise ship menus anymore though. @CGTNORMANDIE is right, all the toppings and assembly would make it tough to offer as a regular item. But @BruceMuzz has the right idea - you could definitely ask if they could make you one as a special order. Being on an upscale line, I'm sure they'd be happy to whip one up for you. Might be a fun treat to share with your family or friends onboard.