Pensioner travel insurance

My mother is 81 years old now so doesn't qualify for the free (included) travel insurance you get with Visa platinum and above. It applies up until the day you turn 81.

So I'm asking for advice on which insurance companies people recommend for an Australian, 81 year old with no pre-existing conditions. Its for 34 nights, domestic and New Zealand cruises.

Use the Compare the Market website to get some quotes.  You have to input your age. If an insurance company won't accept someone over a certain age, then they won't appear on the list of quotes this website shows up. There is always an extra cost for cruising, because of the very high cost if you have to be medically evacuated from the ship.

I have used 1Cover and Tick Travel recently. No problems getting the cover I wanted, but, as I fortunately didn't have a claim, I can't comment on that aspect.

• Like 1

Just now, cruiser3775 said:

Use the Compare the Market website to get some quotes.  You have to input your age. If an insurance company won't accept someone over a certain age, then they won't appear on the list of quotes this website shows up. There is always an extra cost for cruising, because of the very high cost if you have to be medically evacuated from the ship.

I have used 1Cover and Tick Travel recently. No problems getting the cover I wanted, but, as I fortunately didn't have a claim, I can't comment on that aspect.

Thanks, I didn't think of them.

I used to use 1cover for yearly cover. Neither my mother or I have ever made a claim. But better to be safe than sorry. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

My mother is 81 years old now so doesn't qualify for the free (included) travel insurance you get with Visa platinum and above. It applies up until the day you turn 81.

So I'm asking for advice on which insurance companies people recommend for an Australian, 81 year old with no pre-existing conditions. Its for 34 nights, domestic and New Zealand cruises.

The ANZ Platinum Visa insurance covers people for trips they BOOK before their 81st birthday. This could vary with other bank credit card insurances.

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The ANZ Platinum Visa insurance covers people for trips they BOOK before their 81st birthday. This could vary with other bank credit card insurances.

She's with ANZ. It was booked after she turned 81 and they also said it wouldn't cover from the day she turned 81. I'm using my visa for my insurance, I would just like to find her some that wont cost me an arm and a leg. I tried a couple today and Allianz was cheapest so far.

1 minute ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

She's with ANZ. It was booked after she turned 81 and they also said it wouldn't cover from the day she turned 81. I'm using my visa for my insurance, I would just like to find her some that wont cost me an arm and a leg. I tried a couple today and Allianz was cheapest so far.

We have gone on a couple of cruises after my husband's 81st birthday, and fortunately haven't had to claim on insurance. Actually we only have claimed once and that was in 1999. We have two more cruises booked and we will be relying on the wording printed in the PDS for the insurance, namely trips booked before the person's 81st birthday. If ANZ or Allianz decide to change it, I am sure they will notify us in writing.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have gone on a couple of cruises after my husband's 81st birthday, and fortunately haven't had to claim on insurance. Actually we only have claimed once and that was in 1999. We have two more cruises booked and we will be relying on the wording printed in the PDS for the insurance, namely trips booked before the person's 81st birthday. If ANZ or Allianz decide to change it, I am sure they will notify us in writing.

I can never book that far ahead.

18 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

I can never book that far ahead.

We did so to take advantage of the free credit card travel insurance. However there was one time in the past when we booked 20 months ahead of a cruise from Fort Lauderdale, around Cape Horn and ending in San Francisco. The other cruises that have to be booked well ahead are the World Cruise.

24 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We did so to take advantage of the free credit card travel insurance. However there was one time in the past when we booked 20 months ahead of a cruise from Fort Lauderdale, around Cape Horn and ending in San Francisco. The other cruises that have to be booked well ahead are the World Cruise.

I don't think I have booked any cruise longer than 4 months ahead. Usually much less than 2 months.

Qantas Travel Insurance will cover those over 80, and will cover one person at about half the cost of a couple which a lot don't do. They seem pretty reasonable. Do seem to cover cruising but is a bit hidden. Might be worth a call. I have not used them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, valantine80 said:

Qantas Travel Insurance will cover those over 80, and will cover one person at about half the cost of a couple which a lot don't do. They seem pretty reasonable. Do seem to cover cruising but is a bit hidden. Might be worth a call. I have not used them.

Thanks, will check it out. Can you use frequent flyer points.

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Have just got this credit card purely for the travel insurance available and have booked a few cruises and will keep doing this before I get to 81.  Got a few years to go!

Eileen

23 hours ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

My husband is over 80 and both of us have pre existing medical conditions we need covering. 

After exhaustive research I decided on Allianz both for cost and ease of their web site with regard to getting cover for our pre existing. 

I have had many policies with them over the years and have had to claim twice for cancellation costs due to medical reasons. Once in 2020 and then again in 2022. Both were for luxury cruising so costs were not insignificant. Both times , with all the correct information they required entered online on their web site which was very user friendly, they paid us the full amount claimed less the copayment. 

You never know how good your insurance is until you have to claim. From my experience with Allianz I wouldn’t insure with anyone else even if it was a little more expensive. And they will cover all our pre-existing medical conditions which some other companies won’t. 

I hope this is helpful to Aussie cruisers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2