Trying to gage how full upcoming cruise could be.

mcoler181

If you do a dummy booking and go through to the section where it lets you select your cabin, would the website show you everything available or just a select number of cabins? Some categories are only showing 1 cabin number available on each deck, is that how MSC do it, or does it mean its pretty much sold out?

From postings from recent and current cruises, ships seem to still be sailing rather full. Even with school holidays over and peak summer vacations over, cruisers are still reporting full sailings, at least for the sailings I've seen posted about. I'm not sure which itineraries you are checking on. 

Edited by blueslily

2 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

If you do a dummy booking and go through to the section where it lets you select your cabin, would the website show you everything available or just a select number of cabins? Some categories are only showing 1 cabin number available on each deck, is that how MSC do it, or does it mean its pretty much sold out?

Ship?   Date?

It also depends on how many you are booking for.  For instance I did a dummy booking for the Nov. 16 cruise on Seashore 4 day.  For 2 guests there was plenty of availability.  When I reduced it to a solo, sold out.  I don’t know if they show quad cabins as available if you have specified a couple.  I guess the only way to know would be to go back and try with 3 or 4, but I don’t have that much patience right now.  EM

Even poorly selling itineraries are going to be close to full one way or another.  MSC will make adjustments to lead price, promotions, flash sales, solo rate, etc... to get bookings and put the ship near full.  It's only the really odd repositioning cruises requiring difficult flights that might sail with a significant number of empty cabins.  A February Seascape Eastern Caribbean will be close to full double occupancy by sail date.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Até said:

Even poorly selling itineraries are going to be close to full one way or another.  MSC will make adjustments to lead price, promotions, flash sales, solo rate, etc... to get bookings and put the ship near full.  It's only the really odd repositioning cruises requiring difficult flights that might sail with a significant number of empty cabins.  A February Seascape Eastern Caribbean will be close to full double occupancy by sail date.

Thought as much, also having a check as thought if there was a lot of cabins still available we might get an upgrade offer.

16 minutes ago, mcoler181 said:

Thought as much, also having a check as thought if there was a lot of cabins still available we might get an upgrade offer.

Getting the upgrade email is pretty common if you booked directly or used a TA that participates.  There's also a check box on your MSC website profile that agrees to receive offers and promotions that likely helps.  Upgrade offers don't have any correlation to shown cabin availability. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stocksy82 said:

How was it @showingdiva?

Beautiful ship.   Attentive cabin steward.   Room kept very clean.

The parts that can be a bit manic on these ships, namely the Marketplace, pool bars etc weren't as bad as I feared.

A couple of things I'm not keen on is the multiple port embarkation / disembarkation.   Nothing happened, just a personal preference of everyone embarking in Southampton and disembarking in Southampton.

And children.   I'm well versed with Virtuosa and fully appreciate that these are family orientated ships.   However, when the ship has two decks of great facilities for them, yet the chosen entertainment was to chase each other up and down stairs, along passenger decks etc, I get a bit riled.   Not least because no-one pulls them up about it .. especially their parents.

Food was consistently good in the MDR.   Delighted that there's a Hola! on Euribia, which was absolutely on point, especially those fabulous warm tortilla chips and chipotle dip.

Entertainment in the theatre was met with enthusiasm.   There is a carousel lounge, like Virtuosa's, but it doesn't have the cirque du soleil shows, instead used for multiple purposes day and nijght.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Beautiful ship.   Attentive cabin steward.   Room kept very clean.

The parts that can be a bit manic on these ships, namely the Marketplace, pool bars etc weren't as bad as I feared.

A couple of things I'm not keen on is the multiple port embarkation / disembarkation.   Nothing happened, just a personal preference of everyone embarking in Southampton and disembarking in Southampton.

And children.   I'm well versed with Virtuosa and fully appreciate that these are family orientated ships.   However, when the ship has two decks of great facilities for them, yet the chosen entertainment was to chase each other up and down stairs, along passenger decks etc, I get a bit riled.   Not least because no-one pulls them up about it .. especially their parents.

Food was consistently good in the MDR.   Delighted that there's a Hola! on Euribia, which was absolutely on point, especially those fabulous warm tortilla chips and chipotle dip.

Entertainment in the theatre was met with enthusiasm.   There is a carousel lounge, like Virtuosa's, but it doesn't have the cirque du soleil shows, instead used for multiple purposes day and nijght.

Hi @showingdiva, it’s hard to get any info on the Carousel lounge changes. Would you be able to advise on this?

11 hours ago, Ljdoc said:

Hi @showingdiva, it’s hard to get any info on the Carousel lounge changes. Would you be able to advise on this?

So having a look from the first to last days, in the Carousel Lounge, there was a swing band, a disco, a rock symphony, a night club, , a daytime future cruise presentation, the magicians who were also part of the main theatre show, a DJ set, a club music night and some orchestral music

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

So having a look from the first to last days, in the Carousel Lounge, there was a swing band, a disco, a rock symphony, a night club, , a daytime future cruise presentation, the magicians who were also part of the main theatre show, a DJ set, a club music night and some orchestral music

Thanks for this, sounds like a good addition over similar ships rather than the circus show. 

• Like 1