HAL credit card points value

Wayfairers

28 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

Starting to consider a HAL credit card.  We’ve read the small print and looked on line but cannot find how much cash a point is actually worth.   How many points per dollar of OBC?  

I don’t know the answer to your question but we have had one for years. Paying for the cruise by the card and other purchases adds up. I would say it’s paid back close to $10,000.00 over the years we have used it. Of course there are other cards that can do the same.

Edited by aliaschief

10 hours ago, aliaschief said:

I don’t know the answer to your question but we have had one for years. Paying for the cruise by the card and other purchases adds up. I would say it’s paid back close to $10,000.00 over the years we have used it. Of course there are other cards that can do the same.

When you say paid back close to $10,000.  How did it pay back?

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

In April I redeemed 10,000 points for a $100 OBC.

The best value is generally using it on HAL purchases or to pay down cost of a booking. The more points you redeem on the latter, the better the redemption rate is.

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We used points to reduce our card balance

Thank you for the great info.  

Do you get one point per dollar spent?

9 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

Thank you for the great info.  

Do you get one point per dollar spent?

Yes on most transactions. 2 points per dollar on HAL purchases (cruises, shorex, OBC, etc.)

Edited by cruisemom42
dyslexic reply

39 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes on most transactions. 2 points per dollar on HAL purchases (cruises, shorex, OBC, etc.)

Sometimes it is 3 points (has been that for a few months this year).  The best return is to redeem points for an account credit, but you can only redeem up to the amount of your largest HAL charge in the last 6 (I think) months.  So the best time to do it if you have a lot of points is within 6 months of paying off a long HAL cruise.  We register our HAL card with the ship on a cruise to get the double or triple card points, then use a different card in port.  That way if there is a problem with our land credit card it won't cause trouble with our shipboard account.

I am not a math wizard but we have used our points primarily for statement credits against paying off cruise balances.  We wait until after the final payment double points have posted and then cash in our points.  In the early days, they had a very different system.  I was able to get an $8,000 points credit (wedding and reno project expenses that year) toward a cruise.  It's not that generous anymore and somehow I feel responsible.  

From the site:

image.thumb.png.f1d7eda2b4c0c32059e66c1e0728da0e.png