11 - 2 - 2023 WEIGH IN

Izena

Good morning everyone.  Still not weighing. Focusing on getting back to walking since weather has improved.  I had a couple of dr appointments this week and wt appears stable.  Weather is now cold frost on grass this morning.  Jazzper loves the cold weather we can actually be outside more than 20 minutes.

I’m excited my generator actually gets turned on this week so will be prepared (lots of dead trees from hot /drought summer ready to  knock out power line in next big wind).  Also replacing the rest of my windows (4) with Anderson windows ( current windows are cheap don’t seal hard to maneuver) installation 11/30.

Hope everyone is safe , healthy and hopefully on a cruise.

Good Afternoon - Well, didn't weigh myself today.  After spending 2 weeks on a cruise I don't know what they will read!!!!  Although we did take the stairs a lot (down not up) and we did walk the track quite a few days.  

Good luck to all!  Jan

I’m back from my texas trip and even though I didn’t eat much I put on 3lb. I was shocked to say the least. I think it might have to do with all the salt in the food I was eating and the margaritas I was drinking. Other whise I was fairly active which is normal when I travel on business but still need to drink more water. Over the next 4 weeks I have an insane amount of work to do and I’m moving my studio so it’s going to be hard to make sure I eat well consistently.

• Like 1

Well it didn’t take long I watched what I ate and drank since Thursday and am back to my pre travel weight. 

only 26 days till I leave for my first transatlantic cruise. I was going to add the drink package which wouldn’t be much but it would encourage me to drink more which wouldn’t be great for my weight loss.

SoloAlaska - congrats on being back to your pre travel weight!

Where is your transatlantic cruise going?  We are doing one (for the first time) in 2025.

Our last cruise (b2b) we did not get a drink package - although we get 4 free drinks for being diamond.  Most days I drank 2 drinks only had a few days with 3-4 drinks.  Don't believe I would get the drink package again.  (if it cost extra).  Jan

26 minutes ago, Jan_In_Maine said:

SoloAlaska - congrats on being back to your pre travel weight!

Where is your transatlantic cruise going?  We are doing one (for the first time) in 2025.

Our last cruise (b2b) we did not get a drink package - although we get 4 free drinks for being diamond.  Most days I drank 2 drinks only had a few days with 3-4 drinks.  Don't believe I would get the drink package again.  (if it cost extra).  Jan

Departing Civitavechia with stops in Livorno, Provence, Barcelona, Seville, Lisbon, ponte delgada, and Bermuda and finishing in Manhattan.

It’s my first NCL cruise and I’d only be paying the gratuity but still that’s almost 2 drinks a day. I don’t drink wine at diner and when I travel solo I make sure I don’t get more than tipsy ever. Plus it’s a work trip where I need to spend my days writing and crafting and photographing and while in port researching and getting inspired. I figure there will be a couple days with 3-4 drinks but some days with none and the other days will be one drink.

• Like 1

Glad everyone is doing well.    My thanksgiving cruise  I have the plus plan which includes drinks( I don’t drink alcohol) extra dessert's (up to several a day - I’ll have to stay away that’s my weakness).   

Solo how wonderful to have work that covers cruises.  

I’m gradually increasing my walking distance.   I’m slowly  feeling like myself.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Izena said:

Glad everyone is doing well.    My thanksgiving cruise  I have the plus plan which includes drinks( I don’t drink alcohol) extra dessert's (up to several a day - I’ll have to stay away that’s my weakness).   

Solo how wonderful to have work that covers cruises.  

I’m gradually increasing my walking distance.   I’m slowly  feeling like myself.   

Izena congrats on increasing your distance. Having your own business has to have some perks. Long term one of my dreams is actually to teach on craft cruises and get paid to actually cruise.

Hi everyone - wanted to jump in on the conversation and introduce myself.  When I booked my May Icon cruise last November, I said I wanted to lose about 30 pounds.  I had just had my hip replaced (at 48) and was just able to get back into walking and exercising.  Here we are a year later and I've lost....oh....about 3 lbs.... smh.

I go the gym and work out 2-3 times a week for the last 3 months - lost nada.  Was swimming before that - lost nada.  

Not gonna lie, as an Italian, I am a carb junkie.  I did well on low carb a few years ago but I am so darn picky that it's just not sustainable for me. I get tired of eating the same thing and as picky as I am - it's not much. I also drink a lot of diet soda so I'm sure that doesn't help.  Still not going to give up and hope to be able to lose some weight before May - I still have time...but then again the holidays are coming up.

Erby2283 - Welcome to the group  -  I find that if I log everything that I've eaten and the number of calories that usually works (a little) - plus the exercise.  Sometimes we don't lose weight much, but we end up losing inches.  

Keep coming back each week ... we are all here to support each other.  Jan 

• Like 1

Welcome Erby.   We are a supportive group.   Everyone seems to take a different approach.  It does help to have the accountability of weighing.    This  has been an awkward year for me health wise - trying to remain positive  -  it does help to keep track of what you’re eating whether is carbs, calories or points.     

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jan_In_Maine said:

Erby2283 - Welcome to the group  -  I find that if I log everything that I've eaten and the number of calories that usually works (a little) - plus the exercise.  Sometimes we don't lose weight much, but we end up losing inches.  

Keep coming back each week ... we are all here to support each other.  Jan 

Thanks for the welcome. My family keeps saying you may not be losing but you're definitely healthier exercising/working out.

18 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Welcome Erby. This is an awesome little group full of support and understanding. Being a picky eater who likes variety must be really difficult when trying to make changes. 

Thank you. It's extremely hard. Just eat a salad...how can I do that when I don't like lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, cheese, dressings, etc.  LOL  Did I mention I was picky? 🙂

15 hours ago, Izena said:

Welcome Erby.   We are a supportive group.   Everyone seems to take a different approach.  It does help to have the accountability of weighing.    This  has been an awkward year for me health wise - trying to remain positive  -  it does help to keep track of what you’re eating whether is carbs, calories or points.     

Thank you.  I have tried to log foods in the past but then I stop when I forget.  I've even tried products like Noom or myfitnesspal, carb manager, Numi.....  I just really think every woman is different and until we find what it is that works best for our bodies, it will be hard to be successful.

I did pick up some ingredients to make a tea that's supposed to help stimulate fat burning and aid in digestion, etc.  Going a little bit outside my comfort zone bc I don't like lemon flavor and the tea contains water, ginger, lemon, cinnamon and a tad of honey.  I figure I'll try it - can't be worse than the stuff I had to swallow for my colonoscopy prep....LOL.

1 hour ago, erby2283 said:

Thanks for the welcome. My family keeps saying you may not be losing but you're definitely healthier exercising/working out.

Thank you. It's extremely hard. Just eat a salad...how can I do that when I don't like lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, cheese, dressings, etc.  LOL  Did I mention I was picky? 🙂

Thank you.  I have tried to log foods in the past but then I stop when I forget.  I've even tried products like Noom or myfitnesspal, carb manager, Numi.....  I just really think every woman is different and until we find what it is that works best for our bodies, it will be hard to be successful.

I did pick up some ingredients to make a tea that's supposed to help stimulate fat burning and aid in digestion, etc.  Going a little bit outside my comfort zone bc I don't like lemon flavor and the tea contains water, ginger, lemon, cinnamon and a tad of honey.  I figure I'll try it - can't be worse than the stuff I had to swallow for my colonoscopy prep....LOL.

Honestly it took me a prescription to finally make a dent in my weight loss. I was a classic yo-yo we’re I would loose 10-15 pounds and then put it all back on and more. I’m at almost 35 pounds lost in just over 4 months. I couldn’t do that if I didn’t have all the knowledge from before plus the support of the meds. Everyone’s body is different so do what works for you and feel no judgement if you need that extra help. 

Have you tried an alternative to diet soda? I know it’s a hard one to break the habit but the side drinkers I know that gave it up found it much easier to loose weight after.

You don’t need to eat salad to loose weight. The benefit to salad is it fills your stomach. My favorite “fill me up” food is a home made soup using home made bone stock, lots of protein, lots of veggies, good seasoning, and a small amount of whole grains. It’s easy to make each batch unique by switching the protein (I usually use chicken or pork) and switching what type of veggies you use. I try to avoid veggies high on the glycemic index except in moderation. Freezing portions is something that really helps me save on cooking time and I always try to have some at hand so I can have it when I get home instead of picking up fast food on the way etc.

Being healthy is so much more than our weight. Being active, toning our muscles, and having good mental health is all so important, it’s great that you already have been so consistent on going to the gym.

44 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Honestly it took me a prescription to finally make a dent in my weight loss. I was a classic yo-yo we’re I would loose 10-15 pounds and then put it all back on and more. I’m at almost 35 pounds lost in just over 4 months. I couldn’t do that if I didn’t have all the knowledge from before plus the support of the meds. Everyone’s body is different so do what works for you and feel no judgement if you need that extra help. 

Have you tried an alternative to diet soda? I know it’s a hard one to break the habit but the side drinkers I know that gave it up found it much easier to loose weight after.

You don’t need to eat salad to loose weight. The benefit to salad is it fills your stomach. My favorite “fill me up” food is a home made soup using home made bone stock, lots of protein, lots of veggies, good seasoning, and a small amount of whole grains. It’s easy to make each batch unique by switching the protein (I usually use chicken or pork) and switching what type of veggies you use. I try to avoid veggies high on the glycemic index except in moderation. Freezing portions is something that really helps me save on cooking time and I always try to have some at hand so I can have it when I get home instead of picking up fast food on the way etc.

Being healthy is so much more than our weight. Being active, toning our muscles, and having good mental health is all so important, it’s great that you already have been so consistent on going to the gym.

35 pounds is fantastic! That's about the amount I want to lose. I'm not against medication to help but  my deductible is $2,750 so I'd have to pay every bit of that before anything would be covered.  However, I may take a go at it when my physical rolls around next year. Between my migraine meds and this, I'd probably hit that deductible in one month and then everything would be free until the new health insurance year. 🙂

I enjoy soups too - but I wouldn't have the willpower to not add potatoes or pasta...lol. 

As for the soda, it's always been my ONE vice in life. I've never had an alcoholic drink, I never smoked, etc... but soda, soda is what I always want to drink.  I've never been able to cut it out completely, but when I try, I make deals with myself (drink 2 yeti's of water and then you can have a diet soda) and when i do that, I'm so full from the water that I usually end up only drinking 1-2 a day. Like you, I have heard so many people say cutting out the soda was key for them. I wish I could - slow poison is what my grandma used to call it. I just need to get stronger about making choices...nothing changes if nothing changes. 

39 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

35 pounds is fantastic! That's about the amount I want to lose. I'm not against medication to help but  my deductible is $2,750 so I'd have to pay every bit of that before anything would be covered.  However, I may take a go at it when my physical rolls around next year. Between my migraine meds and this, I'd probably hit that deductible in one month and then everything would be free until the new health insurance year. 🙂

I enjoy soups too - but I wouldn't have the willpower to not add potatoes or pasta...lol. 

As for the soda, it's always been my ONE vice in life. I've never had an alcoholic drink, I never smoked, etc... but soda, soda is what I always want to drink.  I've never been able to cut it out completely, but when I try, I make deals with myself (drink 2 yeti's of water and then you can have a diet soda) and when i do that, I'm so full from the water that I usually end up only drinking 1-2 a day. Like you, I have heard so many people say cutting out the soda was key for them. I wish I could - slow poison is what my grandma used to call it. I just need to get stronger about making choices...nothing changes if nothing changes. 

2 yetis of water first is amazing as a technique. I’ve never had soda in my life but I do enjoy a good scotch. No reason you can’t put some pasta in your soup. I try to keep mine whole grain and just moderation when I add pasta. Oh I also love adding a bean mix to my soup. Sometimes I’ll do the math of what I put in my soup and just keep healthy macros in mind. I try to stay around 40% carbs, 30% protein , 30% fat. So if you play around with low carb veggies go ahead and add that pasta or potatoes to your soup. 

I don’t have private insurance and when I did it didn’t cover the meds but I’m in Canada so out of pocket the meds cost me 2800 Canadian a year which is about 2100$ USD. When I started on the meds I had about 100lb to loose. It’s not something I would recommend to anyone only looking for a little weight loss and it’s not a magic pill, you still have to do the work.

• Like 1