Short cruises

Jay19

I'm currently looking at some 2024 cruises and have found a 13 night itinerary that I like.   It is followed by a 4 night cruise over a weekend and while it would be nice to add on these ports, I'm wondering if the passenger demographic on these short cruises is different.    For example, it would seem a possibility for larger groups or part charters.    Has anyone tried one of these shorter cruises and could give me some advice?     Thanks.

We have been doing B2B for ages. First, it extends the trip - you've flown so far, might as well grab some more days. Next, on board room credit is (has been?) added to BOTH legs. I don't know if anything has changed, but generally it has been $400 credit for a cruise over 8 days, $300 for a week , I'm not sure about the figures for a 4D cruise. Hey, my go to is that if the rent is paid, the kids have shoes, there's food on the table, and you aren't going to go bankrupt, spend the money, enjoy yourself! Whatever you decide, have a great time!

I don't think Azamara typically does 4 day cruises. If I remember correctly, there was some sort of scheduling "hole" that popped up because of cancelled drydock (or something like that), and Azamara scrambled to fill the hole with a couple of crazy (for them) itineraries. If this is one of those, I wouldn't worry too much that about the demographics - I don't see the "party crowd" opting to hang with us geezers...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dr H said:

We have been doing B2B for ages. First, it extends the trip - you've flown so far, might as well grab some more days. Next, on board room credit is (has been?) added to BOTH legs. I don't know if anything has changed, but generally it has been $400 credit for a cruise over 8 days, $300 for a week , I'm not sure about the figures for a 4D cruise. Hey, my go to is that if the rent is paid, the kids have shoes, there's food on the table, and you aren't going to go bankrupt, spend the money, enjoy yourself! Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Forget about the kid’s shoes,- we are out of beer🤣🤣😜😜

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dr H said:

To be serious. - haven’t seen a four night cruise for years. They always do a 5 night in may for the Monaco Grand Prix.

The short European cruises ( I’ve done a couple on Azamara but always 5 nights, never seen a 4) are very different vibe. They tend to be focused on events - as Odd says Grand Prix etc.  I’m afraid they can also be “booze cruises” as some agencies in the UK package up cheap flights and focus on Azamaras unlimited alcohol in their marketing. Personally I’d do it only if it adds additional ports you really want to see but recognise that by its nature it’s a different experience. There will be no Azamazing event but they will try and cram white night and other staples into the short time available 

We sail Cunard's transatlantic run between Southampton and New York occasionally, which is a 7 day sailing. Sometimes they have a 2 day extenstion from Southampton to Hamburg, which can be booked as a total 9 day sailing, or as just a 2 day sailing. We sailed this in September as a 9 day sailing, from Hamburg to NYC (with a stop in Southampton). About 1/3 of the passengers debarked in Southampton, and new passengers boarded for the 7 day crossing. The first 2 nights the ship was very active, with all venues feeling busy and buzzing. The clothing felt a bit more casual. Then when we left Southampton, things settled down, venues were quieter, and dinner clothing was a bit more elegant. We think a lot of guests bought the 2 day sailing as a way to "sample" Cunard and were getting in all the restaurants, bars, shows, venues they could in 2 days.

From our point of view, I would not say it was a negative thing, and we would certainly do it again, we just noticed that things were a bit busier for those 2 days. From the crew point of view, we heard that they really don't like the 2 day sailings as it makes much more work for them in turning over cabins, service, and so on. 

1 hour ago, combine said:

Here is the 4 night weekend cruise on Onward Sept 26th 2024

IMG_9830.jpeg

We did a similar itinerary,  I think it was around 2016/17 and took our (adult) kids.  It started in Nice and finished in Barcelona.  It also went to Mahon (Menorca) instead of Toulon.  It was I think our 4th or 5th cruise with AZ at the time and I have to say I didnt notice a difference in demographic at all.  White night was also one of the best IMO.

3 hours ago, 150edmiston said:

We did a similar itinerary,  I think it was around 2016/17 and took our (adult) kids.  It started in Nice and finished in Barcelona.  It also went to Mahon (Menorca) instead of Toulon.  It was I think our 4th or 5th cruise with AZ at the time and I have to say I didnt notice a difference in demographic at all.  White night was also one of the best IMO.

We also did one. Quest, Nice to Barcelona september 26.-29. 2015. 

20 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

We also did one. Quest, Nice to Barcelona september 26.-29. 2015. 

Yes you did,  and that was the one we were on!  I got my dates mixed up.  We had a drink with you and your wife on white night (David & Dawn from Scotland).  You were doing a B2B.

Edited by 150edmiston

33 minutes ago, 150edmiston said:

Yes you did,  and that was the one we were on!  I got my dates mixed up.  We had a drink with you and your wife on white night (David & Dawn from Scotland).  You were doing a B2B.

Hi, David. Of course I remember. We fought hard to get that White Night and Russ did a really good job to get it organised. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much to everyone who replied to my post.    I totally agree about the benefits of the b2b cruises.    We have long flights to the UK and Europe so always look for cruises that will give us 3-4 weeks away.    As we get older the jetlag is also getting worse so the holiday has to be long enough to make that worthwhile!  😀    I really appreciate the input and am now waiting to hear back from my TA about availability - hopefully it will all work out.   Thank you all!

• Like 4