Queen Elizabeth Aus summer season cancelled from 2026

MelbTone

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I think I have got 1 more QM2 left in me in honour of my father then I will leave the brand probably until the 200 year mark that will be a piece of history but that is for the future.

I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing as I did get the impression you were close.

QM2 doesn't figure in any of our future plans, but enjoy her whilst you can. You never know what's around the corner. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing as I did get the impression you were close.

QM2 doesn't figure in any of our future plans, but enjoy her whilst you can. You never know what's around the corner. 🙂

I know it is  a number of years away yet and as you say you never know what is round the corner but I hope all 4 queens make it to the 200 year mark that will be a good celebration to be part of.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

Just booked on QM2 for August 23rd eastbound the last Cunard for a long while I think till the 200 year mark. I am in my 40s I will make it .

They are doing less T/A next year than in previous years I think. I am struggling to understand the future fleet deployments. They have the Anne and yet QM2 is doing UK/Norway for good few weeks of June/July next year during the summer break not the T/A they have done previously.

Guest SilverHengroen
40 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Just booked on QM2 for August 23rd eastbound the last Cunard for a long while I think till the 200 year mark. I am in my 40s I will make it .

They are doing less T/A next year than in previous years I think. I am struggling to understand the future fleet deployments. They have the Anne and yet QM2 is doing UK/Norway for good few weeks of June/July next year during the summer break not the T/A they have done previously.

Southampton cruises are still the core of Cunard's market, and while Queen Anne is being added, neither Queen Elizabeth or Queen Victoria will be sailing out of Southampton next summer. That mean's they're actually down by 1,000+ berths compared to a few years back when all three ships were doing Southampton based cruises. Not too surprising Queen Mary 2 would be used to mop up some of the otherwise unserviced demand as the TAs mean she'll be the only other Cunarder in Southampton every couple of weeks anyway. 

I am sympathetic to those who will lose the QE in their area, but delighted that it will remain on the Alaska run. A few years ago Cunard had said the QA would replace the QE on the Alaska cruises in order to provide more capacity.  It seems they don't need the extra capacity, probably because of the competition of a huge number of ships doing these cruises. There are often three a day from Vancouver.

We have taken an Alaska cruise on the QE on each of the three seasons (2019, 2022, 2023)  and look forward to more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

I am sympathetic to those who will lose the QE in their area, but delighted that it will remain on the Alaska run. A few years ago Cunard had said the QA would replace the QE on the Alaska cruises in order to provide more capacity.  It seems they don't need the extra capacity, probably because of the competition of a huge number of ships doing these cruises. There are often three a day from Vancouver.

We have taken an Alaska cruise on the QE on each of the three seasons (2019, 2022, 2023)  and look forward to more.

Alaska like the Fijords will close forever to cruise ships in a few years. Norway is closing FOREVER to cruise ships in 2026 ships are banned in Olso and Bergen as well from then.There no point to Cunard getting the Queen Anne with the fijords ban and Australia withdraw.

Just now, ace2542 said:

Alaska like the Fijords will close forever to cruise ships in a few years. Norway is closing FOREVER to cruise ships in 2026 ships are banned in Olso and Bergen as well from then.There no point to Cunard getting the Queen Anne with the fijords ban and Australia withdraw.

Haven’t we been here before?

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

I like the 10 day Cunard Alaska itineraries vs seven day runs that most other lines run (not interested in train/cruise combo).  
I don’t want to make the big trip to Vancouver for a short week. 
Those three extra days make a big difference to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Haven’t we been here before?

From 2026 Norway is banning all cruise ships with a few execptions aren't they without Bergin and the Fijords Norway is over. Queen Anne will NOT qualify to travel neither will any other cruise ship? They use 4 MILLION KWH per day btw. Which is more power than all of Bournemouth uses in a day.

Edited by ace2542

17 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

While I share some concerns for the cruise industry (mega ships taking over docking space from Cunard size ships along with local backlash of mega ships descending on smaller port calls) we need facts please in terms of your above statement of closing cruising forever in both Norway and Alaska. Some restrictions in Norway we see but these sweeping speculative statements for maybe happenings three years from now carry little weight without sources and facts. 
I’ll (and many others) would be glad to revisit this statement when accompanied by reputable sources. 
Any links to this info you can provide about post-2026?

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, NE John said:

While I share some concerns for the cruise industry (mega ships taking over docking space from Cunard size ships along with local backlash of mega ships descending on smaller port calls) we need facts please in terms of your above statement of closing cruising forever in both Norway and Alaska. Some restrictions in Norway we see but these sweeping speculative statements for maybe happenings three years from now carry little weight without sources and facts. 
I’ll (and many others) would be glad to revisit this statement when accompanied by reputable sources. 
Any links to this info you can provide about post-2026?

https://thenorwayguide.com/there-could-be-a-stop-to-popular-fjord-cruises-in-2026/?utm_content=cmp-true

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

At a cursory reading this seems to refer to a couple of fjords.

But once the ban comes too many ships elsewhere in Norway and so on. Something has to give and not just for Cunard. So back again to the question of is there enough demand for 4 cunard ships?

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Cunard appear to think so.

I haven't looked at the Queen Anne so I don't know where it is going but QM2 is spending weeks without T/A's in the summer time next year. So ergo there musn't be demand for the T/As in the Summer of 2024 and that is before the move from Australian markets. I would be love to be wrong but something has to give.

Edited by ace2542

Thanks for the above article. The saddest part of the story are the local economies losing out on million$$$ from cruisers. 

I am a strong believer in technology and the industry will come up with battery/sail solutions. A future fjord cruise may entail going to Norway on a regular cruise ship then transfer to a zero-emission vessel for specific fjord excursions. Plus, there could be extensive lobbying from impacted local communities to push that date out to make it more realistic for ships to comply and come up with different plans. 
I don’t buy into all the doom and gloom. 

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I haven't looked at the Queen Anne so I don't know where it is going but QM2 is spending weeks without T/A's in the summer time next year. So ergo there musn't be demand for the T/As in the Summer?

That is a non sequitur. There may simply be more demand for other things. Or so they think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I have not heard anything about Alaska closing to cruise ships. Many ports are investing in improvements to their facilities.  Unlike the Norway cruises, the fjords in Alaska don't get as many ship visits as the towns and cities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just heard today that the P&O Pacific Adventure has been denied entry into New Zealand for the exact same reason as the QE. From an email sent to passengers:  

We have just discovered some high-risk invasive species on a small, localised section of Pacific Adventure’s hull, which needs to be removed before the ship will be permitted to enter New Zealand.
The hull had been deemed clean during a recent full dive inspection that was carried out to ensure the ship was ready to enter New Zealand. However, a final inspection has now uncovered this high-risk species, which was unexpected given the recent full dive. 

Makes you wonder how many more times this can happen before the cruise industry simply deems New Zealand to not be worth the hassle.

We can discuss emissions all we want but all this is cart afer the horse isn't it. The damage is done we used way too much coil in 70s 80s and 90s we can't change it with a few cruise ship or airline bans.

Edited by ace2542