Discovery Princess cabin D436 to Alaska

Resecora

We are looking to book our first cruise and it will be a 7 night to Alaska on Discovery Princess June 1st, 2024 round trip from Seattle including Inside Passage and Glacier Bay. Our travel agent held a mid ship port side cabin, but it is directly across from the mid ship elevators (cabin D436).

We are concerned about the noise. The elevator area does have a door that closes it off from the hallway. Will we hear that door opening and closing all the time? Will our room be where the majority of the passengers on our deck pass by while talking? Will we hear that in our room?

Having never cruised before and not knowing how Discovery Princess' cabins do or don't block hallway noise, we are looking for some advice.

Do we change our room and look to mid aft or mid front if no other mid ship cabins are available?

Is the port side the side we want to be on if we are heading south through the inside passage?

Any cabin advice (or any other advice on our chosen cruise) will be greatly appreciated.

We have the room held until Tuesday Nov 7th.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!

My experience is that you do not hear very much when across from the elevators. Lots of people will walk past your cabin day and night. You may hear them speaking. The doors you are referencing are fire doors. They are always open. They close in case of a fire. B436 is a cat. BA cabin. You can save a little money if you select a cat. BB which is a little further aft or maybe one of the Cat BD cabins with the extended balconies, example B706. I have found that being further aft really doesn't cause any issues. Port or starboard, no real difference. There is a smoking area on deck 7 starboard all the way aft on the patio.  

27 minutes ago, Resecora said:

How do you know if the balcony cabin you are choosing has an obstructed view? Is category BA a good category or do the cabins get better as the letters get higher (BB, BC, BD etc)?

D-436 is a standard balcony not an obstructed balcony category according to website I checked.   Your view will not be obstructed.  There are websites such as cruise deck plans on the web you can Google to research your choices and read reviews, hope that helps.

Edited by Cruisintimer

Thank you! I will check cruise deck plans out.

My husband and I decided we are definitely going to do the Alaska 7 day cruise. We are so excited! If we like it (which I think we will), we plan to do a CruiseTour sometime in the future when we can afford to do it right.

For now we are just trying to decide whether to have our travel agent keep this room or look for another. We will most likely keep this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Resecora said:

Thank you! I will check cruise deck plans out.

My husband and I decided we are definitely going to do the Alaska 7 day cruise. We are so excited! If we like it (which I think we will), we plan to do a CruiseTour sometime in the future when we can afford to do it right.

For now we are just trying to decide whether to have our travel agent keep this room or look for another. We will most likely keep this one.

You will be amazed at the raw beauty Alaska offers.  It is our favorite cruise, we are going again next May.  You can also check YouTube for many videos of the Discovery Princess.  Absolutely beautiful ship, we board her again this Saturday for a cruise to Mexico.   Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1