St Thomas Sky Ride - A simple but fantastic excursion!

Coast To Coasters

We did our first ever visit to St Thomas this year, and absolutely loved it! We weren't sure whether to do a full blown day excursion, or just something simple. In the end, we decided with a simple visit to the Sky Ride that was a short walk from the port and a very reasonable price!

The ride itself up to the top was fun in itself but the view is the true reward. It was one of the most spectacular and beautiful views I've ever seen! The beautiful water, our stunning ship in port, ah it was just amazing! There is also a restaurant up the top for food and drink, and a souvenir shop - both very reasonably priced and overall, just a great place to sit and take in some sunshine and enjoy the views!

If you have little ones, there is also some kids games for them to enjoy and keep them occupied for a minute! It's a fantastic excursion, within a short walk from the port and provides great value to experience and take in a little of this stunning island without breaking the bank! I've done a further guide about the Sky Ride on YouTube, if anyone is interested and of course, if you have questions let me know!

Sky Ride Video Guide!

IMG_5038.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great photo! Also , we are  First timers in the Virgin Islands . We really wanted to do this for sure . Also interested in a private jeep tour of either St Thomas or St Johns. Any insight  or recommendation on which island we should do . We also on the Celebration and in port from 7 to 4 . Is a three tour plus the ferry and the sky ride too much in this time frame ? We lean towards wanting to do St Johns. Thanks !

On 11/6/2023 at 8:11 PM, lablover61 said:

Great photo! Also , we are  First timers in the Virgin Islands . We really wanted to do this for sure . Also interested in a private jeep tour of either St Thomas or St Johns. Any insight  or recommendation on which island we should do . We also on the Celebration and in port from 7 to 4 . Is a three tour plus the ferry and the sky ride too much in this time frame ? We lean towards wanting to do St Johns. Thanks !

Thank you!

Ah fantastic! It was our first time too and we had a great time! Unfortunately we didn't do that jeep tour but I've heard very good things! The SkyRide doesn't take too long at all, potentially as little as an hour depending on how long you want to stay at the top so it would depend on how long the other items of your day are! My best recommendation if you have a few bits you'd like to do, is find a tour guide that can take you around the island and do the various bits you want to do. Just allow yourself enough time to get back to the ship prior to all aboard! Hope you have a fabulous time!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coast To Coasters said:

Thank you!

Ah fantastic! It was our first time too and we had a great time! Unfortunately we didn't do that jeep tour but I've heard very good things! The SkyRide doesn't take too long at all, potentially as little as an hour depending on how long you want to stay at the top so it would depend on how long the other items of your day are! My best recommendation if you have a few bits you'd like to do, is find a tour guide that can take you around the island and do the various bits you want to do. Just allow yourself enough time to get back to the ship prior to all aboard! Hope you have a fabulous time!

Thank you for the response. Following you now on YouTube and IG . Good stuff !

The stride isn't across the street from the Royal Caribbean dock, so the tickets probably include rt transportation from the ship to the stride. Don't know what else it may include. Some ships sell it packaged with another attraction on the area.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 4:03 AM, Coast To Coasters said:

We did our first ever visit to St Thomas this year, and absolutely loved it! We weren't sure whether to do a full blown day excursion, or just something simple. In the end, we decided with a simple visit to the Sky Ride that was a short walk from the port and a very reasonable price!

The ride itself up to the top was fun in itself but the view is the true reward. It was one of the most spectacular and beautiful views I've ever seen! The beautiful water, our stunning ship in port, ah it was just amazing! There is also a restaurant up the top for food and drink, and a souvenir shop - both very reasonably priced and overall, just a great place to sit and take in some sunshine and enjoy the views!

If you have little ones, there is also some kids games for them to enjoy and keep them occupied for a minute! It's a fantastic excursion, within a short walk from the port and provides great value to experience and take in a little of this stunning island without breaking the bank! I've done a further guide about the Sky Ride on YouTube, if anyone is interested and of course, if you have questions let me know!

Sky Ride Video Guide!

IMG_5038.JPG

My wife and I walk with canes.

Those stairs,especially for her,look like a deal breaker,if no ramp or elevator. 

Is that the case?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 5:12 PM, toad455 said:

Can the Sky Ride tickets be purchased the day of? Royal Caribbean is charging $75 for the excursion and was wondering if it's cheaper to walk over from the ship and get it cheaper that day?

Wow - that's insane!  I was on HAL last month and they charge $24.95.  When I walked to Paradise Point I saw the price for tickets is $24.95.  I assume HAL got a small discount for the "group" excursion and that was their profit.  I believe Royal docks at Crown Bay, which i supposed to be a $6 or so taxi ride away from town.  Maybe $8 to Paradise Point, so there's a LOT of extra money that appears to be pure profit to the cruise line if clueless passengers book that one!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

Some of the cruise lines sell a Paradise Point package that includes either admission to the Pirate Museum and/or Children's Museum. The ~$25 charge is for entry to just Paradise Point. 

I think there is a slight discount for some military with ID. Not sure if it's active duty or if vets are entitled.

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2023 at 12:47 PM, Ms411 said:

Margincall, there is no ramp or elevator. People with mobility limitations should probably take a taxi.

Delayed reaction.

Do you know how much it is for 2 people to do that, and then I wonder how you then get a taxi to return.

If you take a taxi from Havensight, they should charge you the minimum which is $6 per person. There are usually taxis coming and going throughout the day so it shouldn't be a problem returning to Havensight. Of course if your ship docks at Crown Bay the taxi will probably charge you more.

I think it's flat from taxi parking lot to the restaurant, but I'll have to confirm. I usually take the tram, but years ago I was in a vehicle and we drove up. 

1 hour ago, Ms411 said:

If you take a taxi from Havensight, they should charge you the minimum which is $6 per person. There are usually taxis coming and going throughout the day so it shouldn't be a problem returning to Havensight. Of course if your ship docks at Crown Bay the taxi will probably charge you more.

I think it's flat from taxi parking lot to the restaurant, but I'll have to confirm. I usually take the tram, but years ago I was in a vehicle and we drove up. 

We don't mind inclines,or even stoop like stairs,but watched videos of the tram terminal, and my wife can't do those stairs

Looks scary!! I've never had a whole lot of luck riding trams straight up mountains.🙈🙈🙈

I saw the trams God forbid your claustrophobic😁😁😁

I have enough trouble staying put in the safari van up and over Mount Charlotte Amalie much less sitting locked up in some pod being dragged up a mountain by a cable.🥺🥺🥺

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2024 at 3:53 PM, TTEllis said:

Looks scary!! I've never had a whole lot of luck riding trams straight up mountains.🙈🙈🙈

I saw the trams God forbid your claustrophobic😁😁😁

I have enough trouble staying put in the safari van up and over Mount Charlotte Amalie much less sitting locked up in some pod being dragged up a mountain by a cable.🥺🥺🥺

Its an interesting experience thats for sure but really good fun!

• Thanks 1