best food

bethsanfrancisco

In recent decades, we've only cruised with Norwegian and Oceania.  Oceania's marketing tag is it offers "The finest cuisine at sea" which may or may not be true. Probably not. But it's pleasant enough. One of its speciality restaurants, Toscana, would meet my "holiday restaurant" test - if this was a land based place near home, would I become a regular. Yes, for Toscana. No, for anything else on the line. 

• 3 months later...

We need some serious discussion about food. Our last two cruises were NCL Prima and Gem. The same food and exact menu on both. MDR was 2* at best. The specialty restaurants we tried were 5*. Why has the quality gone down so badly, and where can you find good quality meals without paying for specialty services? This is ruining our daily enjoyment, especially on sea days.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, donaldbihl said:

We need some serious discussion about food. Our last two cruises were NCL Prima and Gem. The same food and exact menu on both. MDR was 2* at best. The specialty restaurants we tried were 5*. Why has the quality gone down so badly, and where can you find good quality meals without paying for specialty services? This is ruining our daily enjoyment, especially on sea days.

We cruised on the Gem many times .The last time was in 2019 .The food in the MDR was always very good.We only went to specialty restaurant on one Gem cruise.

15 hours ago, donaldbihl said:

$$$$$$…You get my point…lol.  The days of NCL SS Norway are long gone.  When Knute kloster sold his interest NCL was changed forever.  I really miss the SS Norway and the level of food and service they offered onboard. Today NCL is a money machine that will “Nickel and dime all the time”.  The MDR is mediocre so the new ships have a dozen specialty restaurants that charge $$$$$.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The food on my 4 post-COVID RCI cruises was abysmal and AQSC was worse.

I'm sailing soon on HAL so hoping for a little better but want to try upgrading to Oceania or Seabourn in the next few years.