Alaska in July 2024 - Are Cabins Dark Enough to Sleep?

LEMJMcC

The wife has been reading some things that suggest hotel rooms and such in Alaska are really not dark enough to sleep if one is somewhat sensitive to light, so they suggest taking some eye coverings.  I'm curious to know if the cruise ship (Quantum of the Seas in this case) are really that light during normal sleeping hours, say 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM.  I never really had an issue on the Caribbean cruises we've taken, but then again I've never sailed in the land of the midnight sun.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

The wife has been reading some things that suggest hotel rooms and such in Alaska are really not dark enough to sleep if one is somewhat sensitive to light, so they suggest taking some eye coverings.  I'm curious to know if the cruise ship (Quantum of the Seas in this case) are really that light during normal sleeping hours, say 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM.  I never really had an issue on the Caribbean cruises we've taken, but then again I've never sailed in the land of the midnight sun.

Thanks.

If too light, taping cardboard or black garbage bags on the windows works. That's what we used when watchkeeping and we slept during the day.

• Like 1

Cruise and travel a lot in Alaska (not on RCL though), and yes it can still be light late at night.  It doesn’t bother me but hubby prefers a completely dark room!  We carry clips to put on the drapes in a hotel room or ship cabin.  I’ll also use hangers with pant clips to make sure there is no light!  Most cruise cabins do have blackout curtains but sometimes you do get gaps that let in light.

On 11/6/2023 at 6:49 PM, LEMJMcC said:

but then again I've never sailed in the land of the midnight sun.

Or book an inside stateroom, as you may find you will spend more time scenic viewing out on deck  or off the ship during port calls anyway.

We cruised NCL Jewel to Alaska last June. Hubs has Alzheimer’s and I didn’t realize how the almost 24-hour light would affect him. He had no sense of time of day. After he got up and dressed at 2 am, best thing was shut drapes with tips given above to make room as dark as possible.