Advice on Thanksgiving Encore cruise with toddlers???

MadisonBay

DH and I are seasoned cruisers. (Read that as old!) Although we have Diamond status, it has been 5 years since we have been on NCL. It seems that a lot has changed. Since the pandemic, we have been on several cruises on Regent and the QM2.

We have booked 4 cabins which include 2 toddlers on the Encore for Thanksgiving. The reviews of the Encore cruises have been less than glowing. I take reviews with a grain of salt. But there are so many recurring negative themes, that I'm concerned. 

I need advice on how to manage expectations (This is not Regent!) and how to maximize the experience (Keep everyone happy or at least not ornery).

Can you help me?

1. What do I need to do immediately upon embarkation?
  2. Does Diamond status give you any leverage?
  3. What do I need to do or avoid over the week?
  4. Any advice on GSC with 2 little humans?

Whatever advice you can give me, I will greatly appreciate the help.

I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving.

Elaine

41 minutes ago, MadisonBay said:

DH and I are seasoned cruisers. (Read that as old!) Although we have Diamond status, it has been 5 years since we have been on NCL. It seems that a lot has changed. Since the pandemic, we have been on several cruises on Regent and the QM2.

We have booked 4 cabins which include 2 toddlers on the Encore for Thanksgiving. The reviews of the Encore cruises have been less than glowing. I take reviews with a grain of salt. But there are so many recurring negative themes, that I'm concerned. 

I need advice on how to manage expectations (This is not Regent!) and how to maximize the experience (Keep everyone happy or at least not ornery).

Can you help me?

1. What do I need to do immediately upon embarkation?
  2. Does Diamond status give you any leverage?
  3. What do I need to do or avoid over the week?
  4. Any advice on GSC with 2 little humans?

Whatever advice you can give me, I will greatly appreciate the help.

I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving.

Elaine

Word of warning, The Encore will be a very full house over Thanksgiving.  Depending on the age of your toddlers, I would sign them up for Splash Academy as so as possible when you board.  Spaces will fill very quickly.

On a course like this Diamond status may not mean much

Plan on bringing things to keep your Little Ones entertained.  If they are Not potty trained, they can not use any of the water features even the Kiddie ones.  No swim diapers allowed.  I personally would not attempted to take Little Ones to GSC.  

With a very full house tendering to GSC will be an issue.  Trying to hang on to Little Ones and attempt to board (and exit) the tenders is NOT something I would want to try.

I have been on several holiday cruises including Thanksgiving, even for me as a Senior Citizen, it can be challenging but fun.

• Like 2

Great advice.

The tiny humans are 15 months and almost 4. Only one is potty trained. Good to know that we will have to avoid the pool area with the little one.  

Also good advice on GSC.  I could always pray for rain 🤪.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful guidance. 

1 hour ago, MadisonBay said:

Great advice.

The tiny humans are 15 months and almost 4. Only one is potty trained. Good to know that we will have to avoid the pool area with the little one.  

Also good advice on GSC.  I could always pray for rain 🤪.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful guidance. 

Your 15 month old might not be able to be in the Splash Academy, not sure but I think you have to be 2.  There might be some Mommy and Baby playtime available meaning parent and child have to be together.

The ship will NOT have babysitting services available either.

If you are hoping to do more touring than visiting a beach, then private excursions for just your family so you can control the itinerary are really helpful.  A beach might be fine on a NCL excursion if there are cabs there so you can get back if your kids get overwhelmed earlier than scheduled.  You've mentioned that you've read NCL's reviews, so you would  know if that particular ship has been making its itinerary recently.  If not, you need to plan out your excursions at the backup destinations that NCL usually goes to if it tends to cancel ports on your cruise (this may not affect you at all, and the reviews you saw would be the best indication of whether or not this is an issue for your individual ship).   If making port stops is an issue for your ship/itinerary, make sure you also review the private excursions cancellation policy prior to booking.

On the first day, go to breakfast buffet with a bag.  Get yogurt, fruit and boxes of cereal to take back to your room.  That way you will always have snacks on hand if your kids get hungry at a time when there is limited food available (someone was always asleep in one of the rooms for my family so it was a little harder to order room service and snacks on hand is important).  I don't know if you can take sealed yogurt off the ship, but you can take sealed cereal boxes so make sure you have some of those for excursions.  

Also note that the kids menu is free for children your kids age in specialty dining.  One restaurant (Italian) offered to make an appetizer for our kids instead of eating off the kids menu.  They told us that was because all the kids menu items are made in one kitchen and it's far for them to travel.  We did have to wait awhile for kids meals, so that would make sense.  You cannot expect specialty dining to allow your child to eat anything but kids menu for free, but it might be an option (and is totally up to them since you can always pay for extra food or share your food with your child at a a la carte restaurant, but probably not modernos).  

Some parents bring small blow up pools to create a bathtub for their children at the base of their shower.  

12 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Your 15 month old might not be able to be in the Splash Academy, not sure but I think you have to be 2.  There might be some Mommy and Baby playtime available meaning parent and child have to be together.

The ship will NOT have babysitting services available either.

The kids clubs start at 3, but I do believe they have parent/child playtimes for under 3’s.

8 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

If you are hoping to do more touring than visiting a beach, then private excursions for just your family so you can control the itinerary are really helpful.  A beach might be fine on a NCL excursion if there are cabs there so you can get back if your kids get overwhelmed earlier than scheduled.  You've mentioned that you've read NCL's reviews, so you would  know if that particular ship has been making its itinerary recently.  If not, you need to plan out your excursions at the backup destinations that NCL usually goes to if it tends to cancel ports on your cruise (this may not affect you at all, and the reviews you saw would be the best indication of whether or not this is an issue for your individual ship).   If making port stops is an issue for your ship/itinerary, make sure you also review the private excursions cancellation policy prior to booking.

On the first day, go to breakfast buffet with a bag.  Get yogurt, fruit and boxes of cereal to take back to your room.  That way you will always have snacks on hand if your kids get hungry at a time when there is limited food available (someone was always asleep in one of the rooms for my family so it was a little harder to order room service and snacks on hand is important).  I don't know if you can take sealed yogurt off the ship, but you can take sealed cereal boxes so make sure you have some of those for excursions.  

Also note that the kids menu is free for children your kids age in specialty dining.  One restaurant (Italian) offered to make an appetizer for our kids instead of eating off the kids menu.  They told us that was because all the kids menu items are made in one kitchen and it's far for them to travel.  We did have to wait awhile for kids meals, so that would make sense.  You cannot expect specialty dining to allow your child to eat anything but kids menu for free, but it might be an option (and is totally up to them since you can always pay for extra food or share your food with your child at a a la carte restaurant, but probably not modernos).  

Some parents bring small blow up pools to create a bathtub for their children at the base of their shower.  

Great tips.  I've added them to my 'survival file.'

Thank you.

On 11/6/2023 at 6:46 PM, MadisonBay said:

15 month old girl and almost 4 year old boy 

When we sailed with little kids (ranging from less than a year to a little over 2 years old) we took a small stroller, and also took a baby carrier to wear the toddler. We used both quite a bit, but I was soooo thankful to be able to wear the toddler! Being hands free is a huge help.

On GSC you may want to look into renting a cabana.  It will give you a shaded area to hang out and also work for nap time.  And you'd have access to the beach.

I'm not an expert on this as we never got the cabana (missed GSC) but I remember researching it and they looked really nice.

Enjoy!

Thank you both for your help.

Another question - My daughter wants me to pack 'Shelf stable whole milk juice boxes' to avoid running to the buffet to fill a bottle. (We're driving to Miami. The rest are flying.)

Would NCL allow you to bring milk boxes on board? I know you are no longer able to bring soda and water on board.

13 minutes ago, MadisonBay said:

Thank you both for your help.

Another question - My daughter wants me to pack 'Shelf stable whole milk juice boxes' to avoid running to the buffet to fill a bottle. (We're driving to Miami. The rest are flying.)

Would NCL allow you to bring milk boxes on board? I know you are no longer able to bring soda and water on board.

No.   From the NCL.com FAQ's:

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.