Penalty for canceling

Sea and Me

8 hours ago, mpacker said:

we always get TI now even for non-cruises.   

To be clear the only travel insurance that might help is cancel for any reason or cancel for work reasons, and the latter may not cover the entire party, just the passenger who can't go. Each policy is different and folks need to read the fine print. CFAR usually only provides 75% back but again, read the policy.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

To be clear the only travel insurance that might help is cancel for any reason or cancel for work reasons, and the latter may not cover the entire party, just the passenger who can't go. Each policy is different and folks need to read the fine print. CFAR usually only provides 75% back but again, read the policy.

yes...we always get cancel for any reason.  that's not the main reason we get it, we really get it for medical.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I don't understand why (1) everybody has to cancel just because one person has to work?  and (2) why she doesn't just call in sick for that last day?

Exactly my question. Never let facts get in the way of a good rant though, right?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I don't understand why (1) everybody has to cancel just because one person has to work?  and (2) why she doesn't just call in sick for that last day?

Because people look at things differently and do things differently. I would cancel if DW couldn't go but not anyone else if we were a group. As for calling out there is a thing called honor that some people have. It's also possible that she's maxed out the number of times she can call out. It may even be something that wasn't considered but since the cancelation has been started it's probably too late.

On 11/9/2023 at 8:16 AM, mz-s said:

There is no cruise line where you can cancel within 45 days and only pay a 10% penalty. Sounds like you have unrealistic expectations. Sorry this is happening to you but as the saying goes, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Cruise lines aren't like hotels where you can cancel with little penalty, never have been and never will be.

Of limited relevance to OP's situation, but I'd like to call everyone's attention to a year called 2021 when cruises were just restarting after a brutal shutdown.  Cruise line cancellation policies were much looser then.  I had booked two cruises during this period on Carnival where they changed the onboard protocols to something I didn't like, and they kindly said, "If you don't like it, you can cancel with no penalty".  I took them up on it - I canceled both and got my $$$ back.  One was about a month away; the other was about 2 1/2 months away.

But that was then, and this is now, with cruise line refund policies pretty much going back to where they were.

16 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Of limited relevance to OP's situation, but I'd like to call everyone's attention to a year called 2021 when cruises were just restarting after a brutal shutdown.  Cruise line cancellation policies were much looser then.  I had booked two cruises during this period on Carnival where they changed the onboard protocols to something I didn't like, and they kindly said, "If you don't like it, you can cancel with no penalty".  I took them up on it - I canceled both and got my $$$ back.  One was about a month away; the other was about 2 1/2 months away.

But that was then, and this is now, with cruise line refund policies pretty much going back to where they were.

There has always been a difference between a passenger canceling and a cruise line allowing cancelation with no penalty because of a significant change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

That is a good point - during the COVID restrictions/protocols era things were different. But as you said, that was then.

• Like 1