Live from the Sky Princess, 15 day Transatlantic, 10 Nov - 25 Nov

trinitygirl

So maybe our missed port yesterday was part of a bigger plan - we had the extra time necessary to turn around overnight, and still make it to Antigua on schedule. I hope the patient gets the care they need - the whole thing must be so stressful for everyone concerned, from crew to medics to passengers.  

i went to head up to the jogging track for a walk and all the doors out to deck 17 were locked, so I took myself to the gym and spent an hour on the treadmill instead.  the captain’s announcement came halfway through, and explained why the outside doors were all locked.

Edited by trinitygirl
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, trulytracy said:

Okay, the weirdest thing just happened!

We awoke to the Captain announcing the ship turnaround and the evacuation. We discuss for a bit and then I get up to go to the bathroom. I walk into the open closet area which is where the bathroom door is and the light automatically goes on, and there in front of the bathroom door is....a sea bird!

Yes, we had been sleeping with our balcony door partly open. We know you aren't supposed to. But yesterday we were talking to some people and they said how their room is so creaky at night, but opening the door a bit equalizes the pressure a bit and makes it less creaky, so we did it, too. Plus, we like the sound of the ocean. Back to the main story.

So I gasp! My gasp makes the bird jump a bit and I back away and say something like, "Oh, my god!" and my husband goes, "What? WHAT?" and I just tell him to look. He tells me later he expected to see an overflowing toilet. The funny thing is that last night when we chose to leave the door open, my husband said, "A seagull will probably fly in," and I said, "Yeah, right. There's seagulls all the way out here. Sure."

As we discussed what to do, the poor scared bird went into the closet way into the back between my backpack and the shelf cabinet, so I got a towel, herded it out a bit, and then wrapped the towel around his (or her) body and took him out onto the balcony and closed the door. But then it seemed to be desperately trying to get back in...running along the glass door and sort of gently pecking at the glass. We were watching this wondering what was going on, when it slipped under the balcony divider to our neighbor's balcony and hasn't been seen again. I wondered if I should have given it some fresh water. It was a matter of maybe 1 minute between the time we put the bird outside and it disappearing, so we didn't have time to make a scientific decision.

It wasn't a white seagull. It was a brown pattern with a long pointy beak with black spots on it, and pink webbed feet. Duck-sized. I'm worried for it now.

OMG I would have freaked out!  Totally afraid of birds!

There is a very loud droning noise in my stateroom, is anyone else hearing it?  It started around 1am.  It builds, getting louder and louder, then fades, but never stops.  At first I thought it was coming from outside but whoever answered guest services said there was nothing going on outside.  It is unbearable and I am not sure what to do.

On 11/14/2023 at 9:41 AM, Stromer1969 said:

Ok, so we had a special day planned for the Azores as our son studied abroad in Portugal and the Azores and had become friends with a local guide who was going to take us around the island.  When we got onboard we saw the $19.24 port tax credit so we immediately went to guest services to ask if there were any changes or the itinerary (as you generally never see credits before you visit a port).  They told us no but when the captain came on this morning we weren’t very happy as we investigated online (see link below) and it seems quite clear that the chances of us being piloted into Ponta Delgado were slim to none.  Unfortunately, the friend/local guide was already on route to the port as he lives on the other side of the island and we couldn’t even contact him as we have iPhone and he has an android.  When we went to guest services the supervisor claims the $19.24 was for something else and we’d be credited additionally for missing this stop.  I’d like to believe him but we have some doubts given the clear “mandatory stoppage”. on the first day of each planned strike. In my heart of hearts I hope there was no deception but not too sure. 

https://mykn.kuehne-nagel.com/news/article/25ff3381-d77c-4d63-971b-4bcbbecd8146

Most European countries use WhatsApp for communication and have for years. I assure you that if you had leveraged the app, you could have been able to connect with the person. Email works cross-platform as well.

Lots of things can cause a cancelled port so no port is ever a guarantee so we mitigate planning challenges and consider port changes or cancellations part of the adventure. Overall, nobody wants itineraries to change (especially key refueling and provisioning ports) so I’d hazard to guess they tried to figure out how to make it happen to no avail. Keep in mind, too, that the ship may not know everything corporate knows and not every department has all of the info you may think they do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trinitygirl said:

There is a very loud droning noise in my stateroom, is anyone else hearing it?  It started around 1am.  It builds, getting louder and louder, then fades, but never stops.  At first I thought it was coming from outside but whoever answered guest services said there was nothing going on outside.  It is unbearable and I am not sure what to do.

Please let me know if you find out what it is. I have the suite just below yours beginning on Dec 2 for two weeks. Also, whether it was fixed or stopped on its own.

Did the weather pickup at the same time that the droning noise started?  I found that if you have big waves and a lot of wind, the front cabins are very noisy and get bumped by the waves; the very back of the ship vibrates and creaks very loudly.

Earplugs may be the only way to go until the seas calm.

I just stopped by Guest Services and they said the $19.25 credit was not for the Azores. There will be a separate credit coming, but the gentleman I spoke to didn’t know when this credit would hit or even how much it would be. That’s determined by “the head office”. Allegedly!

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:04 AM, trinitygirl said:

GDI!….  I forgot about the meet and greet!  I went to the Atlantic talk in Princess Theatre and when I found myself on deck 6 at midday I headed to the dining room for lunch and from there to the crafting session and I just got back to my cabin to find my itinerary for today and there it was.  Darn!

Ship life! 🙂

• Haha 1

Trinitygirl  ~ it has been so informative to cruise/follow along with you.

We have never cruised on Princess before and we will be on your ship, the Sky Princess, next month! So looking forward to it!

Can you tell me what is the differences between the Soleil, Estrella and Cielo Main Dining Rooms? The Menus are the same right?

Do we HAVE to make reservations or do you think we can walk up and be seated without a long wait?

Do they have a White Night, Bingo or Zumba?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Enjoying your info and PHOTOS!

• Thanks 1

Just now, RenieRaider said:

Trinitygirl  ~ it has been so informative to cruise/follow along with you.

We have never cruised on Princess before and we will be on your ship, the Sky Princess, next month! So looking forward to it!

Can you tell me what is the differences between the Soleil, Estrella and Cielo Main Dining Rooms? The Menus are the same right?

Do we HAVE to make reservations or do you think we can walk up and be seated without a long wait?

Do they have a White Night, Bingo or Zumba?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Enjoying your info and PHOTOS!

Hi there,

the three main dining rooms all have the same menu.  The Estrella is open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea on sea days; all three are open for dinner.  You do not need to make a reservation, each restaurant has a queue for those without reservations.  However, if you are a group, if you want to dine early (before 7pm) or you want a private table, reservations can be a good idea.  On the Enchanted in August (a very packed ship) I never had to wait more than ten minutes but I heard stories from others who had less luck.

There is zumba at 9am every sea day in Vista lounge.  No notification of White & Gold night yet but we have a long way to go yet.  I haven’t seen Bingo advertised.

: )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisingcheryl said:

Boy are we rockin and rollin tonight.  We are deck12 mid ship.  I can’t imagine what you are feeling up front.

I’ll say!  Its intense!  I just got up to go to the loo and had to hold on to the walls and doors to get there.  It’s an adventure that’s for sure.  The slamming/shuddering is different though.  I don’t think it’s the anchor as it was days 1-4; the hollow sound makes me think its the stabilisers?  

But in great news, the droning from last night has not returned!

Edited by trinitygirl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Just send a message via crew call chat on the app. That way you do not have to stand in line at guest services. 

Have you done so?  I am torn between not wanting to cause extra work and wanting it sorted in time that I can spend it onboard:  i don’t want anything ‘dangling’ when I head off on the next stage of my trip.

Edited by trinitygirl

5 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

Has anyone received their port fees refund yet?  Two days gone by and there is nothing showing on our onboard account.

nope.  I asked in the concierge lounge and they said it will show as refundable OBC but no timeline.

4 hours ago, trinitygirl said:

Have you done so?  I am torn between not wanting to cause extra work and wanting it sorted in time that I can spend it onboard:  i don’t want anything ‘dangling’ when I head off on the next stage of my trip.

I use the crew call chat for anything that I would like to communicate to guest services that (in my opinion) is not time critical.  Not always something oriented to me...if I see something around the ship that needs attention I will just post it to them on crew call chat. That way, they can take care of it (if they so deem) in whatever time frame they wish. In my opinion, I think that they would rather receive information in this manner instead of always face to face with a guest. (JMO)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rhblake said:

Please let me know if you find out what it is. I have the suite just below yours beginning on Dec 2 for two weeks. Also, whether it was fixed or stopped on its own.

It seems to have been external pressure.  It didn’t return last night which was much appreciated!

Why does it take so long for the most simple task? Is it really that difficult to calculate the refund due and then credit it? Guest services also told me that they were waiting for the figure from Head Office, but when I said that some passengers have already received a port fees refund, the story changed. Yes, some people have received it, but there is only one person onboard dealing with it. So what are they doing? Visiting each cabin in turn with a brown envelope with cash inside? Oh and while they claimed it was still being calculated by Head Office, they were able to say that it won’t be very much. Even though it’s still being calculated by Head Office..  Ever get the feeling that someone is just making it up, instead of actually checking the facts.