Essentials Travel Protection

Smitheroo

I notice there is this choice for  $39   and the travel insurance offered when you are booking (about $109)    The one for $39 doesnt  include trip cancellation. 

When would you just use the one for $39?  I know it doesnt include cancellation of the entire trip but wondering what scenario this would fit

FireShot Capture 365 - My Vacation Summary - www.ncl.com.png

FireShot Capture 364 - My Vacation Summary - www.ncl.com.png

Most people buy travel insurance for the medical benefits. Medical evacuation is extremely expensive.  Before you decide what to do, as with any contract, read the additional info.  Also, many feel it is better to buy travel insurance from a party other than the cruise line itself.  

I believe the essentials coverage starts at the time you board. So, it includes none of the travel to the port, or any trip cancellation. It is basically to cover medical emergencies.

Edited by M4RK

6 hours ago, gizfish said:

Most people buy travel insurance for the medical benefits. Medical evacuation is extremely expensive.  Before you decide what to do, as with any contract, read the additional info.  Also, many feel it is better to buy travel insurance from a party other than the cruise line itself.  

Yes, I have realized that- its probably better to insurance from a third party.  The medical benefits on most trip cancellation insurance though is  very low  (although there are policies with robust medical coverage but they dont cost $39)

12 minutes ago, M4RK said:

I believe the essentials coverage starts at the time you board. So, it includes none of the travel to the port, or any trip cancellation. It is basically to cover medical emergencies.

I dont think it has enough medical coverage for the purpose you give.  It does seem to cover after you board.  I was wondering about the scenario where trip delay (and other events after you board, other than medical) would be desirable but not trip cancellation before the trip.  I'm sure there are situations or it wouldnt be an option.   

You have the option of purchasing the two types of travel protection when you book ( one more expensive than the other) but then there is this $39 option listed in the chart on your reservation summary. 

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

Yes, I have realized that- its probably better to insurance from a third party.  The medical benefits on most trip cancellation insurance though is  very low  (although there are policies with robust medical coverage but they dont cost $39)

Depending on your needs and how many times you travel a year, you might be better off with an annual insurance policy. I have an annual policy with Allianz for 2 people, it has great medical coverage and covers all trips including flights within 365 days. Do your research and read limitations of coverage, for me it is a lot cheaper than buying insurance for every trip.

3 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

This is why I always get an annual all inclusive plan. I don’t bother with the cancel for any reason insurance though. My plan includes up to 10M in medical coverage. Now the cancellation isn’t great coverage but that’s something I’m willing to risk. I can afford the cost of the trip but I can’t afford the cost of hospitalization and private medical flights etc especially at the price charged in the US.

I used to totally ignore Shareholder OBC and Trip Insurance.  That was when I was younger, still foolish and didn't cruise as often.  Now I utilize both religiously on every cruise.  This is probably largely in part due to many great discussions and comments here on the forum.

I once bought the NCL essentials.  For my next cruise, I did some research.  Many here recommend the Trip Insurance Store, likely for many good reasons.  I now use Squaremouth.  It allows quick selections of desired coverages and comparisons of policies available through many insurance companies.  My main criteria are a) robust emergency medical and medivac and b) minimum pre-existing condition lookback (I buy those with only a 60 day lookback).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I now use Squaremouth.  It allows quick selections of desired coverages and comparisons of policies available through many insurance companies.  My main criteria are a) robust emergency medical and medivac and b) minimum pre-existing condition lookback (I buy those with only a 60 day lookback).

Agree with all of the above. Squaremouth (strange name) offered a couple CFAR policies for only a little more than "regular" coverage. We jumped on it.

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

This is why I always get an annual all inclusive plan. I don’t bother with the cancel for any reason insurance though. My plan includes up to 10M in medical coverage. Now the cancellation isn’t great coverage but that’s something I’m willing to risk. I can afford the cost of the trip but I can’t afford the cost of hospitalization and private medical flights etc especially at the price charged in the US.

Where do you find a policy for $10 million?  I've seen $1,000,000.  All the annual policies I have seen do not have that much medical coverage.  The one I was looking at (I think it was GeoBlue multi trip) had a limit of 100,000 if you are 73 yrs old or over.  I'm betting you're not, but I am. 

3 hours ago, destar said:

Depending on your needs and how many times you travel a year, you might be better off with an annual insurance policy. I have an annual policy with Allianz for 2 people, it has great medical coverage and covers all trips including flights within 365 days. Do your research and read limitations of coverage, for me it is a lot cheaper than buying insurance for every trip.

I'm betting you are younger.  GeoBlue has an age limit for medical coverage on their multi-trips plans.  If you are 73 or over you are limited to 100,000.    I was seriously considering it until I read that. I would be interested in knowing what other companies have. I will check Allianz.

12 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Agree with all of the above. Squaremouth (strange name) offered a couple CFAR policies for only a little more than "regular" coverage. We jumped on it.

I was looking at Squaremouth also.   For my upcoming trip I have already purchased GeoBlue which only has "trip delay"/"Interruption" insurance (and not trip cancellation) in the policy I have chosen which is the reason I am questioning what this $39 policy is when I saw that it doesnt covering trip cancellation.  (but does cover trip delay)  I'm trying to figure out why someone would be interested in just trip delay but not cancellation.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I used to totally ignore Shareholder OBC and Trip Insurance.  That was when I was younger, still foolish and didn't cruise as often.  Now I utilize both religiously on every cruise.  This is probably largely in part due to many great discussions and comments here on the forum.

I once bought the NCL essentials.  For my next cruise, I did some research.  Many here recommend the Trip Insurance Store, likely for many good reasons.  I now use Squaremouth.  It allows quick selections of desired coverages and comparisons of policies available through many insurance companies.  My main criteria are a) robust emergency medical and medivac and b) minimum pre-existing condition lookback (I buy those with only a 60 day lookback).

Many of those cover pre-existing conditions and waiver the lookback period if the policy is bought ithin a certain amount of time after first payment. Usually 2 weeks.  I have GeoBlue with pre-existing conditions covered without a lookback period for my next trip.  It costs more but still affordable.  I got $500,000 medical expenses, $500,000 evacuation plus pre-existing condition coverage for $83 for a 5 day cruise.  Like you I am also mainly interested in medical coverage, medical evacuation and in my case, pre-existing conditions.  Another thing I learned and this is a little off the topic of this post but worthwhile to know.  "Pre-Existing Conditions" has a very specific meaning in travel insurance language  It refers to a condition that suddenly exacerbates for some reason, or that there has been a change of medicaion or medical advice , all in the look back period.   If you have a stable condition , i.e. hypertension or even diabetes, that has not changed and you have not required a change in medication or treatment advise, as far as travel insurance is concerned you do not have a pre-existing condition.  This is something I've learned since researching insurance.

Edited by Smitheroo

6 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Where do you find a policy for $10 million?  I've seen $1,000,000.  All the annual policies I have seen do not have that much medical coverage.  The one I was looking at (I think it was GeoBlue multi trip) had a limit of 100,000 if you are 73 yrs old or over.  I'm betting you're not, but I am. 

I’m younger and I’m in Canada. Just think if anyone has a major medical issue in the US and are there for over a month needing highly specialized care before they can be safe to transfer back to Canada by private medical flight… what would the cost be? Because the US has some of the highest healthcare costs in the world anyone who travels there really needs more coverage than traveling pretty much anywhere else.

13 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I'm betting you are younger.  GeoBlue has an age limit for medical coverage on their multi-trips plans.  If you are 73 or over you are limited to 100,000.    I was seriously considering it until I read that. I would be interested in knowing what other companies have. I will check Allianz.

My medicare advantage plan covers international travel, including onboard medical, with no lifetime maximum. So I have no need for a policy with high medical limits.  I do have an annual Allianz plan simply to cover any additional expenses that might occur.  I am willing to self-insure my trip costs, although the annual Allianz plan does cover $5000 in cancellation annually, any reason.

So to answer your question about cancellation insurance, my risk for needing cancellation reimbursement isn't high so I'm perfectly willing to take it and only pay to insure against unexpected additional costs.

5 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

I’m younger and I’m in Canada. Just think if anyone has a major medical issue in the US and are there for over a month needing highly specialized care before they can be safe to transfer back to Canada by private medical flight… what would the cost be? Because the US has some of the highest healthcare costs in the world anyone who travels there really needs more coverage than traveling pretty much anywhere else.

Yes, I agree. But I dont think you'd find a policy that big if you lived in  the US if you were my age (73)  That's why I said I bet you are younger.    I really dont know if I need as robust medical coverage as I am seeking throughout non-US countries.  The condition of the health care system in the US has taught me to think *expensive*.    btw, I just recently learned that in Canada your health insurance does not cover you outside of the province you live in.  I *think* that is the case for everyone, not just *seniors*. I was shocked when I learned that.  Many here in the US look up to the Canadian system but I have to wonder if they are aware of your medical coverage only extends to the province you live in. This wasnt always the case (and an older Canadian I know has confirmed this)  My cousin who lived in Canada was visiting his mother in New Jersey and was hospitalized for about a week  The bill was $45,000 (this was about 50 yrs ago!) He told us the Canadian govt paid the entire bill. My older Canadian friend said that is the way it used to be but no more.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

My medicare advantage plan covers international travel, including onboard medical, with no lifetime maximum. So I have no need for a policy with high medical limits.  I do have an annual Allianz plan simply to cover any additional expenses that might occur.  I am willing to self-insure my trip costs, although the annual Allianz plan does cover $5000 in cancellation annually, any reason.

So to answer your question about cancellation insurance, my risk for needing cancellation reimbursement isn't high so I'm perfectly willing to take it and only pay to insure against unexpected additional costs.

You are lucky. Well, not "lucky" because you made the choice to have a Medicare Advantage Plan . Better to say that you made a good choice that works for you.  A Medicare Advantage Plan wouldnt work so well for me, but it works great for my husband. it also depends on where you live. Not all plans are available everywhere. A friend of mine has one and cruises, I will ask her about what hers provides.   My risk for cancellation isnt high either as I'm only one person and dont pick expensive cruises. Makes me wonder why I am worrying about trip cancellation.  I'v read some people "self insure". Maybe putting away the cost of a trip cancellation policy in a separate account to be used if necessary might be an option.  For my trip coming up in January the chance of bad weather causing problems is real. If the cruise was in better weather I probably wouldnt think about it so much.  Sicknes could rerail pans also but where I live, I think the risk of having to cancel due to weather is higher than due to sickness. That may not be valid lol.   

3 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Yes, I agree. But I dont think you'd find a policy that big if you lived in  the US if you were my age (73)  That's why I said I bet you are younger.    I really dont know if I need as robust medical coverage as I am seeking throughout non-US countries.  The condition of the health care system in the US has taught me to think *expensive*.    btw, I just recently learned that in Canada your health insurance does not cover you outside of the province you live in.  I *think* that is the case for everyone, not just *seniors*. I was shocked when I learned that.  Many here in the US look up to the Canadian system but I have to wonder if they are aware of your medical coverage only extends to the province you live in. This wasnt always the case (and an older Canadian I know has confirmed this)  My cousin who lived in Canada was visiting his mother in New Jersey and was hospitalized for about a week  The bill was $45,000 (this was about 50 yrs ago!) He told us the Canadian govt paid the entire bill. My older Canadian friend said that is the way it used to be but no more.

We aren’t covered outside of Canada but basically the provinces have to fight it out to get the money from each other if you need care outside your province. The problem is when people in one province want to get care in another by choice. This happens in place like my home town which borders two provinces. One has decent care the other has longer wait times etc so people from one try to take advantage of their other, think of it as you should be using in network or pay out of pocket (the network is our province).

Agree you don’t nearly as much when traveling outside the US. It also depends on your risk for health concerns and also risk due to activity. 10M is overkill but 100k wouldn’t be enough for a search and rescue extraction, medical care, and a medical flight home but that’s because I do things like multi day hiking in remote areas. I like having 500k in coverage personally but that’s from figuring out what I would need for my risk profile if something catastrophic happens.

37 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Many of those cover pre-existing conditions and waiver the lookback period if the policy is bought within a certain amount of time after first payment. Usually 2 weeks. 

This is why I don't buy those.  I generally book months/years in advance of final payment, and don't wish to buy non-refundable insurance that early.  I buy it when I get to final payment and have a clean 60 day lookback.  If I don't have a clean lookback, then I have a decision to make.  Bad tests that may necessitate further procedures conflicting with my cruise?  I cancel the cruise.  Random medical noise that is highly unlikely to interfere with my cruise?  I pay the cruise.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

12 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This is why I don't buy those.  I generally book months/years in advance of final payment, and don't wish to buy non-refundable insurance that early.  I buy it when I get to final payment and have a clean 60 day lookback.  If I don't have a clean lookback, then I have a decision to make.  Bad tests that may necessitate further procedures conflicting with my cruise?  I cancel the cruise.  Random medical noise that is highly unlikely to interfere with my cruise?  I pay the cruise.

Some policies allow you to adjust dates for the situation you are describing.    I understand what you are saying but have to ask:  in the scenario you give where you are booked months/years ahead  and you cancel the cruise, or it is cancelled for you by the cruise line, then you are out the money you paid for your medical travel insurance? If you die in the meantime you are out the money for insurance for a cruise you have not yet taken?   I dont think so but a point I will research.     And if you cancel the cruise because you dont have a clean lookback that isnt usually a "covered reason" for cancellation unless you have cancel for any reason.   To me it seems the safest to purchase the insurance when you first book as it is not that expensive (subjective I know) so you are not tying up a lot of money for a long time. I'm going to look into this, good point.   GeoBlue comes to mind as one I read where dates can be changed

8 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I understand what you are saying but have to ask:  in the scenario you give where you are booked months/years ahead  and you cancel the cruise, or it is cancelled for you by the cruise line, then you are out the money you paid for your medical travel insurance?

No.  I don't buy any insurance until time of final payment.  The only reason to do otherwise would be for those who want cancel for any reason.  I don't need that. If my lookback is clean, the insurance will reimburse me for non-refundable cruise costs if I have to cancel for medical reasons.  If my lookback is not clean, I cancel and have no non-refundable cruise costs.  Some insurance companies (and brokers) do a really good job of tricking people into spending on nonrefundable insurance premiums when the customer doesn't really need to.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

Yes we are in our early 50s, no medical conditions, but like to have the travel insurance because our medical does not cover us if something happens outside the US. Its also a lot cheaper than buying a policy every time you book a trip.

32 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

here you go- Geo BLue Voyager CHoice plan   

vCancellation of Coverage Any date prior to Your Effective date of Coverage, You may request a full refund of premium from Us. Cancellation of coverage must be in writing or received telephonically or electronically by Us from the Eligible Participant. No refunds of premium shall be paid to You: • after Your coverage Effective Date: or • If You have departed on your Trip: or • If any claims have been filed with Us. In these circumstances, the premium charged is fully earned and is non-refundableCancellation of Coverage Any date prior to Your Effective date of Coverage, You may request a full refund of premium from Us. Cancellation of coverage must be in writing or received telephonically or electronically by Us from the Eligible Participant. No refunds of premium shall be paid to You: • after Your coverage Effective Date: or • If You have departed on your Trip: or • If any claims have been filed with Us. In these circumstances, the premium charged is fully earned and is non-refundable

2 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

here you go- Geo BLue Voyager CHoice plan   

vCancellation of Coverage Any date prior to Your Effective date of Coverage, You may request a full refund of premium from Us. Cancellation of coverage must be in writing or received telephonically or electronically by Us from the Eligible Participant. No refunds of premium shall be paid to You: • after Your coverage Effective Date: or • If You have departed on your Trip: or • If any claims have been filed with Us. In these circumstances, the premium charged is fully earned and is non-refundableCancellation of Coverage Any date prior to Your Effective date of Coverage, You may request a full refund of premium from Us. Cancellation of coverage must be in writing or received telephonically or electronically by Us from the Eligible Participant. No refunds of premium shall be paid to You: • after Your coverage Effective Date: or • If You have departed on your Trip: or • If any claims have been filed with Us. In these circumstances, the premium charged is fully earned and is non-refundable

Interesting.  How do they define "effective date of coverage?

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

No.  I don't buy any insurance until time of final payment.  The only reason to do otherwise would be for those who want cancel for any reason.  I don't need that. If my lookback is clean, the insurance will reimburse me for non-refundable cruise costs if I have to cancel for medical reasons.  If my lookback is not clean, I cancel and have no non-refundable cruise costs.  Some insurance companies (and brokers) do a really good job of tricking people into spending on nonrefundable insurance premiums when the customer doesn't really need to.

I atttached a cut and paste from GeoBlue Voyager Choice Plan to your other comment. You can cancel any time before your effective date of coverage. So if you book on 1/1/24 but the cruise doesnt begin until 8/1/24 you can cancel up until 8/1/24 which is your effective date of coverage.  This only makes sense. Why would you not be able to cancel during a period of time before your coverage starts?  You can do it any way your want to, its your decision but I wanted to point out that  you can cancel  before the cruise happens.