Live Review - Nov 17th - Freedom of the Seas - Bourbon and Blackjack Weekend

DeerJod

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from DeerJod! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

DeerJod was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Consider this the Hype post to start my 3 day live review on Freedom of the Seas. 

Itinerary is an interesting one in that we are not stopping at Nassau, every 3 nighter I've done in the past has the obligatory stop in Nassau so this will be interesting to have a true sea day to round out the long weekend. Honestly I thought we had a stop in Nassau until typing up this post and realizing we were not going to be seeing Atlantis, so not sure if this got dropped last minute or if it was never part of the itinerary?

This will be a family cruise with my DW and our two kids. So think of this as a Thirty Somethings Getaway Cruise guest featuring a 7 year old and a 2 year old. This sailing was HEAVILY subsidized by Club Royale, but not completely free as I had to pay for both of the kids. As a result we're all staying in an Ultra Spacious Ocean View room, (think regular OV room but with a set of bunk beds). All in all, the upgrade costs from the free interior plus two extra's put us at about $1,000 out the door with taxes and fees (not including tips) for the cruise fare. I'm interested to see what the room is like, but honestly have a feeling we'll be missing our typical connecting rooms. 

For those of you assuming family cruise = boring posts I assure there will be bourbon consumed and black jack being played which should balance out the posts from the kids pool nicely. We're all diamonds, so I guarantee we will leverage all of our free drinks each and every day of the cruise.

I'll keep an eye out for any questions or posts as we lead up to departure, but hope you all enjoy the ride. 

image.thumb.png.6317278ab9df1db59463bf9336c375a1.png

• Like 6

Although we have no distinct plans, there is a side quest that we'll be embarking on with this sailing. Thanks to Sea Dog I know that RCL ships carry this Jack Daniels Single Malt in the duty free stores. If you aren't familiar with this particular bottle it is only sold in duty free stores and some military bases so you can't simple walk into a liquor store stateside to purchase it. 

image.thumb.png.0f6efe97e7d9a4988a43a69c85422d2e.png

• Like 4

On 11/13/2023 at 5:58 PM, DeerJod said:

Although we have no distinct plans, there is a side quest that we'll be embarking on with this sailing. Thanks to Sea Dog I know that RCL ships carry this Jack Daniels Single Malt in the duty free stores. If you aren't familiar with this particular bottle it is only sold in duty free stores and some military bases so you can't simple walk into a liquor store stateside to purchase it. 

image.thumb.png.0f6efe97e7d9a4988a43a69c85422d2e.png

Thanks for the shoutout. I will be following along. Hopefully they will have the single malt at the duty free shop too. Have a great cruise.

Interesting - Im leaving on Liberty Nov 17 for a 3 night and we are still stopping at Nassau (I think I would rather have the sea day).

Also, it Absolutely rained literally all day yesterday - sun up to sun down (I live in Sola), but so far today is dry.

Edited by RedJessi

On 11/12/2023 at 5:20 PM, DeerJod said:

Consider this the Hype post to start my 3 day live review on Freedom of the Seas. 

Itinerary is an interesting one in that we are not stopping at Nassau, every 3 nighter I've done in the past has the obligatory stop in Nassau so this will be interesting to have a true sea day to round out the long weekend. Honestly I thought we had a stop in Nassau until typing up this post and realizing we were not going to be seeing Atlantis, so not sure if this got dropped last minute or if it was never part of the itinerary?

This will be a family cruise with my DW and our two kids. So think of this as a Thirty Somethings Getaway Cruise guest featuring a 7 year old and a 2 year old. This sailing was HEAVILY subsidized by Club Royale, but not completely free as I had to pay for both of the kids. As a result we're all staying in an Ultra Spacious Ocean View room, (think regular OV room but with a set of bunk beds). All in all, the upgrade costs from the free interior plus two extra's put us at about $1,000 out the door with taxes and fees (not including tips) for the cruise fare. I'm interested to see what the room is like, but honestly have a feeling we'll be missing our typical connecting rooms. 

For those of you assuming family cruise = boring posts I assure there will be bourbon consumed and black jack being played which should balance out the posts from the kids pool nicely. We're all diamonds, so I guarantee we will leverage all of our free drinks each and every day of the cruise.

I'll keep an eye out for any questions or posts as we lead up to departure, but hope you all enjoy the ride. 

image.thumb.png.6317278ab9df1db59463bf9336c375a1.png

I'll be following along.  I had an Ultra spacious OV on Navigator in August when I went with my GK's and loved it. Ive recommended it to others with kids. It is incredibly spacious.  I'll be interested to read your thoughts on it.

So we have status with delta and after deltas fumbling with their loyalty perk changes jet blue offered a status match. I applied and was awarded mosaic having not flown on jet blue within the last year.

i have to say jet blue really offers a premium set of amenities, including free checked bags, priority lines, free access to upgraded seats and free drinks in flight.

I’ll lose the jet blue status on Jan 1 2024 but this little basket of perks is making our flight much easier without any additional cost.

image.thumb.jpeg.4197e6ff0b6951c927b23dea8aafbbc3.jpegC 

• Like 1