Interesting Small Ships currently visiting Australia

I'm always on the look out for small ships visiting Australia as they have interesting itineraries.  I was surprised to see Azamara has three different ships visiting Australia.

Artania, which has been chartered by Phoenix Reisen, a German cruise ship operator, since 2011, is visiting Australia.  It was built for Princess Cruises in 1984, as Royal Princess.  It has all outside cabins and carries 1200 passengers.  Has anyone cruised on her?

It was interesting to read that it was the last ship to return to Germany, when the pandemic hit, as it dropped some crew members home en route.  It was nice to read that, when the ship was detained in Perth, the Perth school children sent the crew members postcards of Perth with personal messages. On Mother's Day, the Captain made the shape of a heart in the ocean.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ethel6666 said:

We’re booked on an Azamara cruise from Sydney to Hong Kong in March - itinerary is important to us and it’s hard to find interesting ones leaving from Australia.

BON VOYAGE1  What are your ports of call?  I haven't looked at the three Azamara cruise ships itineraries in Australia yet.  They are a smart cruise line.  I cruised to SEAsia with Azamara.  Loved how the small ship could go up the rivers rather than stopping out on the ocean with a big commute. 

Thank you Marion. The cruise we’re on is part of the world cruise on Onward. Overnight in Sydney, Mooloolaba, Airlie Beach, o/n in Cairns, 2 stops in PNG, Palau, Manila, Hong Kong. So a few places we haven’t been to. I thought reasonably priced at $250 pppn in a balcony cabin as it’s fairly inclusive (with the exception of excursions and wifi).

I keep a wide eye out for Azamara. Not so much for Artania, as I see her as a classic big ship and a very different experience. I think I would prefer English speaking, and would be more of a chance to book something on Fred Olsen 

For clarity of history, Artania wasn't detained. That is the stuff that occurs when the ship owes money, and this was very much the opposite. Artania was the petri dish ship that WA tried to ban from entering Fremantle because of covid cases aboard, despite International Maritime laws that gave them the necessary access to medical attention. Yes, she had an extended stay in Fremantle while crew members recovered from covid off the ship in hospital isolation, but that was the ship choosing to wait. 

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

I keep a wide eye out for Azamara. Not so much for Artania, as I see her as a classic big ship and a very different experience. I think I would prefer English speaking, and would be more of a chance to book something on Fred Olsen 

For clarity of history, Artania wasn't detained. That is the stuff that occurs when the ship owes money, and this was very much the opposite. Artania was the petri dish ship that WA tried to ban from entering Fremantle because of covid cases aboard, despite International Maritime laws that gave them the necessary access to medical attention. Yes, she had an extended stay in Fremantle while crew members recovered from covid off the ship in hospital isolation, but that was the ship choosing to wait. 

I have cruised on Fred.Olsen which I really enjoyed,. We have travelled a lot in Germany and we found most Germans speak some English.  However, I haven't cruised on a German ship.  Came close once on a river cruise.  

Yes I thought detained wasn't the correct word, but just couldn't think of the appropriate term.  I remember following it at the time because it got a lot of publicity State vs Commonwealth. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ethel6666 said:

We’re booked on an Azamara cruise from Sydney to Hong Kong in March - itinerary is important to us and it’s hard to find interesting ones leaving from Australia.

Agree itinerary is important.  That is a great itinerary.  However, i don't want to visit Hong Kong again.  I'd rather disembark in Manila. I think it showed sold out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisermsoon said:

It overnights in Hong Kong at the Ocean Terminal in Kowloon, then you can easily stroll to the nearby Metro station to catch the Airport Express and leave.

Thanks, I have had a land holiday in Hong Kong and loved it.  However, I'm not happy with China's attitude at present, so it has joined my list of places I no longer want to visit, with Russia,   

• Like 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Thanks, I have had a land holiday in Hong Kong and loved it.  However, I'm not happy with China's attitude at present, so it has joined my list of places I no longer want to visit, with Russia,   

As well as Israel, which I've always wanted to visit in the past.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisermsoon said:

I know what you mean. I've always had a yearn to visit St.Petersburg, however this one probably joins my "miss list" for a very long time. 

We had two nights in St Petersburg on a ship.  I organise a private guide (Govt requirement so not necessary to get a complicated visa).  It was a superb visit, one of a kind.  I even arranged a private visit to the ballet, with world famous ballerinas.  Now I notice ships to the Baltic no longer visit there.

8 hours ago, cruisermsoon said:

It overnights in Hong Kong at the Ocean Terminal in Kowloon, then you can easily stroll to the nearby Metro station to catch the Airport Express and leave.

We haven’t been to Hong Kong before, so planning on staying a few days before flying home. Fingers crossed for a peaceful trip.