Left Behind

realaud

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I know it's too late now, but asking the tour guide for his/her phone number would have been a good idea. We were on a few excursions last week and were given the tour guide's cell phone #. (Everyone seems to have one nowadays) A phone call or text would've cost a lot less than 198 Euros. Glad to hear it all ended well, though.

When I spoke to the woman who told me what happened, she said that she told the guide he should have given his number to the group, but his response was that he was not allowed to--which seems ridiculous to me when it is the kind of tour where people are separated. Should have at least given the phone number of the tour operator, who then could have gotten in touch with him. As a matter of fact, I am beginning to think the tour operator's contact info should be right on the tickets.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I remember my very first trip to seville.  I was 19, traveling for a school submersion class in spanish ( 6 weeks in spain).  We got to the hotel late afternoon.  I decided to take a walk and explore the area.  well, needless to say, I got lost ( al the old buildings look alike).  The teacher had told us , that if we walk about, take a business card from the hotel desk, and in case of getting lost, show it to someone and ask how to get there.  Well, being a young know it all...I didn't.  I got very lost. Didn't know the name of the hotel.  I walked and walked until midnight trying to find it ( safer times back in the late 70's).  I finally got into a cab and asked to take me to a hotel that was close to a mortuary ( that was the only thing I could remember about the location).  After a few drive arounds, finally found it.  Boy, did the teacher show me off on the bus the next day as an example of what NOT to do.  I guess that was the moment i realized i have a very bad sense of direction ( to this day I cant tell North from South and East from West).  

I know the feeling of having a terrible sense of direction. Luckily DW is blessed with a wonderful sense of direction.

We were once in Amsterdam on a land trip after our booked river cruise that was supposed to be from there was chartered out. I went out looking for a place to exchange dollars for euros and got totally lost. (DW was in the hotel napping catching up on her jet lag.) I somehow found my way back eventually. And that is only one example of me being lost.

I did save us once though on another land trip in Paris. DW had directions for finding our hotel, and it gave a direction to turn instead of left or right. I said there is the sun, and it rises in the East, so with that knowledge we can figure out the direction.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, realaud said:

When I spoke to the woman who told me what happened, she said that she told the guide he should have given his number to the group, but his response was that he was not allowed to--which seems ridiculous to me when it is the kind of tour where people are separated. Should have at least given the phone number of the tour operator, who then could have gotten in touch with him. As a matter of fact, I am beginning to think the tour operator's contact info should be right on the tickets.

Our tour operated similarly. I had a phone number of the tour operator (they all seem to use WhatsApp in Europe) and then the tour operator sent me the direct number of the tour guide.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Just curious….given the other people on your tour found the bus/guide, do you know if you were in the wrong meeting spot?  You mentioned  you felt you were lost.

Or, were you off on the meeting time?

Just a  note that may help in the future, I always “drop a pin” where any meeting places are.

I’m going to use this advice in the future, thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Asawi said:

I am so relieved and also impressed you were able to sort It out!

What I try to remember to do is take  pictures of meeting place, bus, guide... I said "try to remember"... It gives me some peace of mind when there are several groups, buses, same looking buildings... I have had some slight moments of panic when realizing not being 100% sure of where/who to find. 

Seville is a labyrinth and being in the wrong place there is something I can definitely see happening! I rode a bicycle around there last year and frequently lost my direction. Figuring out what corner I was actually in was not always straightforward! Without Google maps "my position" I'd probably still be trying to find my way home! 😁

At my age and with my husband’s memory loss, trying to remember is definitely not going to work for us so notes on our phone calendars, photos of everything on our phones and lists in notes app is how we survive! 
So losing our phones is now my biggest worry 😂

• Haha 3

I get what the tour guide is saying….s/he would have a lot of people calling who they don’t know, with perhaps a constant barrage of irrelevant conversations!

So, probably a bit reluctant to give out their number!

I know I’m always reluctant to give out my number to the tour companies in a foreign country, not knowing where it’s going to end up or who it will end up with!

1 hour ago, realaud said:

The tours are usually subcontracted out to a private tour company.  If the tour guide doesn't want to give out their number they should at least give you the phone number of the private tour company so the secretary or owner there can take phone calls in case of an emergency.

Also, other people should note that for the future to please put passports in the safe in your room (which you totally may have done).  If you miss the ship they will look in the safe and give your passports to the port agent.