Silver Moon sailing January 6

gypsyjennifer1

3 hours ago, Kauaijim said:

We are still under the Dec 8 deadline.

we will take the credit and 10% thank you

Just to clarify: The offer that you are taking is not in writing anywhere?  You are getting this offer only verbally from SS via your TA?  Is this correct?

Yes, if I believe our TA of 20 plus years whom we have done multiple SB and SS trips and numeros land trips . We have on hold a trip in 25  but because its a few days longer we have to downgrade from our silver suite , plus noticeable cost increases were are at break even including the 10% credit. That nsaid nothing is over till its over 

I am so disappointed as my onboard-booked Athens to Doha cruise on SS Dawn for 17 Nov 2024 was cancelled on 11/16/2023- one whole year in advance.  Had been home a week from Nova when got the news.  Also, my Doha to Singapore continuation on 12/4/2024 was changed.   The sailing was changed to begin in Mumbai with 2 onboard days there and added stops in Thailand and Kuala Lumpur.

The Dawn is doing a Barcelona to Athens cruise which ends 17 Nov 2024 and then apparently will head toward Mumbai empty. 

Exploring options- who knows what will be going on anywhere a year from now!   

It appears that Silversea finds it much easier to cancel distant trips than dealing with the immediate ones!  Know several who have cruises in the general areas (eastern Med, Red Sea, Emirates) in the next 2-3 months and are still being advertised.!.

For whatever it’s worth, I have had my long-term travel agent who does a lot of work with Silversea check on this issue multiple times over last week or so since this issue first surfaced. So far, they are being told the cruise as originally scheduled is still on as planned, but that if we are not comfortable going to that part of the world, we can transfer our cruise fare to a different future cruise without penalties, and if we decide to stay on as planned we will get $1000 onboard credit. I am told that I should receive a notification from Silversea “soon“ with the details. I hope I do hear from them very soon, because I’ve held off finalizing my air reservations just because of this issue and I canceled a pre-cruise trip out of Aqaba I arranged on my own to Wadi Rum.

On 12/1/2023 at 4:49 PM, MsCrystalina said:

I am so disappointed as my onboard-booked Athens to Doha cruise on SS Dawn for 17 Nov 2024 was cancelled on 11/16/2023- one whole year in advance.  Had been home a week from Nova when got the news.  Also, my Doha to Singapore continuation on 12/4/2024 was changed.   The sailing was changed to begin in Mumbai with 2 onboard days there and added stops in Thailand and Kuala Lumpur.

The Dawn is doing a Barcelona to Athens cruise which ends 17 Nov 2024 and then apparently will head toward Mumbai empty. 

Exploring options- who knows what will be going on anywhere a year from now!   

It appears that Silversea finds it much easier to cancel distant trips than dealing with the immediate ones!  Know several who have cruises in the general areas (eastern Med, Red Sea, Emirates) in the next 2-3 months and are still being advertised.!.

Other cruise lines are also adjusting their itineraries for next year. My moms Oceania in October was supposed to stop in Istanbul and Izmir, and they replaced those stops with Adriatic stops.  That was the furthest east on that trip and the change was done for “safety” reasons. 

12 hours ago, Skyhigh said:

Other cruise lines are also adjusting their itineraries for next year. My moms Oceania in October was supposed to stop in Istanbul and Izmir, and they replaced those stops with Adriatic stops.  That was the furthest east on that trip and the change was done for “safety” reasons

YES, sadly, "adjusting itineraries" and being concerned for "safety" issues are the new "normal" for this challenged region of the world.  Appreciate these follow-ups and look forward to Silversea announcing their final decisions as to how they manage these situations.  

From the Wall Street Journal's sister publication of Barron's and AFP - Agence France Presse this morning, they had this headline: UK-owned Ship Hit By Rocket Fire In Red Sea: Report with these highlights:A UK-owned ship passing through the Red Sea has reportedly been hit by rocket fire, a UK-based maritime security group said Sunday, with another agency reporting possible drone activity in the area.  The unnamed Bahamas-flagged vessel was 'struck by a rocket' while sailing south around 35 nautical miles off Yemen's western coast, maritime security firm Ambrey said, citing reports.  The reported incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Red Sea and surrounding waters after Iran-backed Huthi rebels seized an Israeli-linked cargo vessel, the Galaxy Leader, last month.

Previously, I was most concerned about late December as to how the Silver Moon will navigate through the Suez Canal.  Now, it seems that the much bigger challenge, question and wider risks are all about the lower part of the Red Sea and with the need to sail nearby to Yemen with the Iran-controlled rebels there.  The terrorists there seem to be getting more sophisticated weapons that could prove of danger for passing ships, both cargo and passenger types.  Right or wrong?  

Full story at:

https://www.barrons.com/news/uk-owned-ship-hit-by-rocket-fire-in-red-sea-reports-2ab293a9

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 108,951 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Things seem to be getting worse and more challenged for the Red Sea/Yemen passages/sailings now.  

From the Associated Press/AP newswire and MSN News today, they had this headline: Pentagon says US warship, commercial ships attacked in Red Sea. Houthis claim attacking 2 ships with these reporting highlights:An American warship and multiple commercial ships came under attack Sunday in the Red Sea, the Pentagon said. Yemen's Houthi rebels later claimed attacks on two ships they described as being linked to Israel, but did not acknowledge targeting a U.S. Navy vessel.  The attack potentially marked a major escalation in a series of maritime attacks in the Mideast linked to the Israel-Hamas war.  The British military earlier said there had been a suspected drone attack and explosions in the Red Sea, without elaborating.

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-pentagon-says-a-us-warship-and-multiple-commercial-ships-have-come-under-attack-in-the-red-sea/ar-AA1kVrjc

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 73,449 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 5:49 PM, MsCrystalina said:

now!   

We still are basically blind to the options and have till 12:8. The 1/6 trip is now from muscat second leg to Dubai will be known by 1/2 lots of known unknowns and unknown SS management making no direct contact at least with us 

I read this on a Facebook Silversea Passengers Group, not sure if its for real but wrote an email to the email address mentioned ??

"I am booked on a Silver Sea Cruise. Any suggestions on how to reach CEO Barbara Muckermann. ? Can’t find an email address or phone contact. I would appreciate any help.
Barbaram@silversea.com please feel free to email me anytime! "

Well SS just booked my d to d flights.  Original itinerary including pre cruise petra.

They say no changes, no offers for cancel and no extra obc if I stay. 

Cruise is as normal.   

They know nothing re others getting offers or itinerary changes

So @Kauaijim   you must be special cause looks like I'm going as booked no options 

26 minutes ago, Skyhigh said:

there is no change supposedly to the segment that ends in Muscat so if you are getting off the ship there than this probably explains why you are not being offered any options.

This is completely different information from what everyone else has been talking about on this thread.  The segment that ends in Muscat leaves on Jan 6th - hence the thread title.

Just to be clear. Should have put in my post.

They just booked my d to d flights for 1/6 cruise from Aqaba and including pre cruise extension in Jordan to Petra .   

And say itinerary for 1 /6 has not changed. 

SHIP: Silver Moon DURATION: 10 days

EMBARK: Aqaba (Petra), Jordan EMBARK DATE: 1/6/2024

DEBARK: Muscat, Oman DEBARK DATE: 1/16/2024

VOYAGE: MO240106010 

We clearly are not special but we have now changed to a trip in January 25. They moved our paid $ plus 10% to this other trip but with their increased fares we broke even but downgraded from a silver suite. Really sad on all levels fir all I hope the trip turns out to be great for those who stay 

• Like 1

Just now, Kauaijim said:

We clearly are not special but we have now changed to a trip in January 25. They moved our paid $ plus 10% to this other trip but with their increased fares we broke even but downgraded from a silver suite. Really sad on all levels fir all I hope the trip turns out to be great for those who stay 

Glad you were able to work something out.  Hope you have a wonderful alternative trip and in hopefully more peaceful times by then. 

While I am not on this voyage, I have been following the discussion as it is so interesting and relevant. Have their been itinerary changes or not?  Was anything ever confirmed by Silversea?  The website shows original schedules (at least as far as embark and disembark ports).  Rumors of changes seem to be unconfirmed by any writings.  What is the real story?

I only know our real story . Yesterday. 2 days before the SS imposed deadline for us we transferred to $29950 from the 1/6 trip to another long trip in early 25 . We were not given the opportunity to use some of what we had paid and gotten a refund . So $29k had to be used on another voyage . We had done our air to jordon and back from Dubai ourselves and are in the process of getting that refunded , luckily we can do that because biz class tix .  On our mysilverseas site only our new and past trips show its like we were never on the 1/6 trip 

I am booked door to door on this cruise. Today I was sent the link to the airlines to choose seats.  Also the link to book Blacklane transfers.

Then I checked the Silversea website and the cruise in its altered state is there for sale with port stops in Safaga (for Luxor), two ports in Saudi, Salalah in Oman finishing in Muscat.

However, on checking My Silversea, Safaga has gone and just the three ports and six sea days remain.  The formal nights have been added!

It is extraordinary that the loss of a port is not communicated to future passengers and that the website is offering for sale a cruise that will not happen in that form.

An option to transfer to another cruise is not available to me. I have asked.

Edited by 57 varieties

So thanks to @57 varieties noticed that Luxor disappeared i once again had my agent call ss. After several calls and supervisors etc  the story went from deny deny to similar offer others reported.  No cancel but 1k obc to stay or will move to a different cruise but will not transfer perks to new pricing.   No refund, no saving as fcc to use when there is a sale

So hmmm they never informed anyone but the cracks are appearing and it seems they are making money from this by waiting until post black fri pricing so now can charge rack rates for switching  if someone noticed and pushed hard enough 

Since I'm solo and have now lost my reduced solo supplement to rebook its going to cost big bucks and be a downgrade cabin..    

Has anyone emailed Barbara Muckermann?    Guess they are trying to limit losses and turn it into a money-making opportunity to see how badly we want to bail it will cost us.

• Like 1

Like some others, we are not booked on this cruise but have been watching events unfold with interest.  It seems to me that Silversea are putting their own interests first, irrespective of the impact that has on their guests.  

We are actually booked on the return trip on Silver Moon up the Red Sea in May / June and have just noticed that Safaga has been been pulled from our itinarary -- & did Silversea go to the trouble of informing us?   CERTAINLY NOT.    The other major port of call on that cruise is is Aqaba for Petra and yes I'm fully expecting that to be pulled -- but it seems that may happen only when it best suits Silversea!!    Finally from other postings on this site Silversea now appear to have taken the decsion to sail ships through the Red Sea in Autumn 2024 EMPTY.   

This is a bit like death by a thousand cuts --- Silversea are happy to put some sailings at risk yet go risk averse when it suits them!

The other point that stands out to me is that Silversea are adopting double standards with regard to changes being allowed.     On this cruise it seems that those who have paid "big bucks" or are "regular cruisers" with Silverseas are being treated differently to those who do not travel as frequently with them.   Unless someone has another explanation then why would there be a disparity on the stories being told where some are being allowed to change & others are not?   It certainly leaves a sour taste!!

IMHO Silverseas need to get their act together and do the honourable thing TO EVERONE on ALL AFFECTED THE CRUISES otherwise like me many will undoubtably be looking elsewhere for future cruises.

Regards

• Like 2

I am a regular cruiser with Silversea with over 300 days on board starting 18 years ago.  I am travelling solo so while not big bucks, the cost is significant.

It appears to me that passengers in the USA have been treated more generously than me in the UK.

Edited by 57 varieties

You may be right on different rules depending on where booked . We had no clout with SS but maybe having a suite helped but that did not help with the new cruise no assigned suite and a 3 category downgrade. But at least we were able to get out of the 1/6 trip