Silver Moon sailing January 6

gypsyjennifer1

56 minutes ago, gypsyjennifer1 said:

Silversea told me on phone today that cruise will not be departing from Aqaba but now from muscat. But agent said no itinerary was known yet for this Jan 06 cruise. Do any other passenger on this cruise know more. 

Hi,

Hopfully the information you have received is erroneous. We are are on the cruise that is scheduled to disembark on the 6th January 2024 in Aqaba. To date we have not been informed of any change to the disembarking port. As we have a tour booked for Jordan, and our flights booked from Amman(Not with Silversea) disembarking in Muscat will cause severe problems. 

We too have pre cruise tour booked for Jordan.  The agent on the phone took a long time to go thru info and he said it was decided 6 days ago but no information about the ports of call.  I am booked on the 20 day cruise from Aqaba to Dubai.  Agent advised that passengers should receive some info within the week, he thought. 🥲

I received this from my TA today:

I have just spoken with Silversea and they have advised that there will be itinerary changes on your sailing, however they do not have definite details yet, but hope to have the information in the next few days.

She said she will get back to me on Monday.

1 hour ago, 57 varieties said:

I received this from my TA today:

I have just spoken with Silversea and they have advised that there will be itinerary changes on your sailing, however they do not have definite details yet, but hope to have the information in the next few days.

She said she will get back to me on Monday.

Hi 

Having looked at the itinerary for the Jan 6 cruise,I suspect that like the cruise of Dec 22 that the Egypt ports of call will be cancelled. 

We are booked to sail from Mumbai to Athens in May, travelling through Egypt ,Jordan, Suez Canal etc. I have noticed on another site that people travelling in March and October already have had Egypt cancelled. Heaven knows how Silversea will re position from Mumbai to Europe. I don’t fancy 16 days at sea! So glad we booked flights with them, although we usually book our own flights.

4 hours ago, Juno1956 said:

We are booked to sail from Mumbai to Athens in May, travelling through Egypt ,Jordan, Suez Canal etc. I have noticed on another site that people travelling in March and October already have had Egypt cancelled. Heaven knows how Silversea will re position from Mumbai to Europe. I don’t fancy 16 days at sea! So glad we booked flights with them, although we usually book our own flights.

I'd love the sixteen days at sea

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 11:04 AM, gypsyjennifer1 said:

Silversea told me on phone today that cruise will not be departing from Aqaba but now from muscat. But agent said no itinerary was known yet for this Jan 06 cruise. Do any other passenger on this cruise know more. 

Look forward during this coming week to learning more as to what Silversea is doing (or NOT doing) with the Silver Moon in late December and January.  

Yes, this is a serious challenge.  Why are we interested?  We are on the Silver Moon, Mumbai to Singapore sailing, Feb. 11-29, 2024.  How does the Silver Moon get from the Med to the Red Sea?

My pure guess/speculation is that Silversea adjusts that pre-New Years Day cruise to end in the Med and then sails down the Suez Canal without passengers.  Crew only to do that part of the sailing??  Then re-load with passengers in Oman and continue with those various Middle East stops before going on to India and the various Asian ports in the Spring.  

Hopefully as today's headlines hint and indicate, maybe the war dangers will become less deadly and be calmer for Israel and Gaza.  

This is certainly a challenging and difficult time.  We can all wish for the best.  For those scheduled for the Silver Moon in later December and January, keep us posted as to what Silversea says and shares.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 249,449 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

We finally got the word today of the change . The compensation offered is marginal and the later 10 days of the trip are still TBD . We came back to SS specifically for this itinerary . We did our last 5 trips on SB after 3 on the smaller SS ships years ago. We are sorrrry we did. . I now have to see what can be done on our Bus class tix , there is a possibility that insurance can kick in because of the major change . A mess for sure.  And SS still has the original trip open for sale on the web site. . 

3 hours ago, Kauaijim said:

We finally got the word today of the change . The compensation offered is marginal and the later 10 days of the trip are still TBD . We came back to SS specifically for this itinerary . We did our last 5 trips on SB after 3 on the smaller SS ships years ago. We are sorrrry we did. . I now have to see what can be done on our Bus class tix , there is a possibility that insurance can kick in because of the major change . A mess for sure.  And SS still has the original trip open for sale on the web site. . 

Appreciate this update and these follow-up details.  Sorry that this has been so challenging.  Keep us posted as you hear more.  My sense is that even in mid to late December that things could get "adjusted" even more.  Sad for all involved.  

We will have till 12/8 to decide on some basically unknown options (at least to me) I’m traveling today so won’t speak to TA till late today . Our travel insurance is not with SS and they are going to find out if cancellation is covered. Also air questions , lot of known unknowns. 

SS moved the 1/6 trip from Jordon to MUSCAT  They cancelled the pre trip to Petra ( zero info on refund yet ) ) there are now 10 days of cruising that their is no itinerary for as yet. They are offering $1000 OF shipboard credit if you continue with the cruise otherwise no refund or you can get a credit to use later. . Zero help on any flights booked independently   For us a big mistake going back to SS .  Clearly a first world problem but SS. Not really stepping up as yet. 12/8 is the latest to decide 

So here is a dumb question.  If everything is included including shore excursions....  what are you expecting to spend $1000 obc on ?  Never done ss before.  What is there extra? Giftshop and gambling?   I know there probably will be upgrades for shoreex but that's alot to blow if no other options present.   Any advice?   Is this a red herring?

40 minutes ago, Martina2662 said:

So here is a dumb question.  If everything is included including shore excursions....  what are you expecting to spend $1000 obc on ?  Never done ss before.  What is there extra? Giftshop and gambling?   I know there probably will be upgrades for shoreex but that's alot to blow if no other options present.   Any advice?   Is this a red herring?

On my NZ-Oz cruise coming up in January, the list of included shore excursions is very good – but in many places there is an extra-cost shore excurison that is exactly what I want to do.  Bottom line, we are spending over $1,000 on shorex upgrades.

Hi Martina.

Lots of things to spend money on.  The extra cost shore excursions, La Dame, the Japanese Restaurant, extra cost wines, spa treatments, etc.   This is a luxurious problem.  Is it a red herring?  Maybe....you will be tempted to do some things and spend money on items you otherwise would have skipped.  Be sure, you will spend the OBC.

With respect to your cruise (I am not on your voyage but watching carefully as this is an interesting, unique and troublesome situation) the $1000 OBC as compensation for a totally reworked itinerary (with possibly different embarkation and disembarkation ports) seems rather modest.  The future cruise credit may be the way to go if you can adjust your travel dates.  While we all understand that a port sometimes will be skipped or an itinerary slightly adjusted, this cruise could be a case where you signed up for one voyage and get something entirely different.  Airline reservation changes, regardless of who booked the tickets, will be challenging and costly at this late date - that is were Silversea really needs to assist.

I hope that everything works out and you get to enjoy your first Silversea cruise - even if it does follow a different itinerary than foreseen. 

Success!!

38 minutes ago, Martina2662 said:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kauaijim said:

SS moved the 1/6 trip from Jordon to MUSCAT  They cancelled the pre trip to Petra

I was hoping you could confirm my understanding of your information.  (I am on the 12/22 Silver Moon departure from Athens that is supposed to disembark in Aqaba on January 6th.)  

Your information is that the January 6th cruise will now depart from Muscat, Oman - is that correct?  

Edited by temerarious
removed duplicate question

12 hours ago, Kauaijim said:

SS moved the 1/6 trip from Jordon to MUSCAT  They cancelled the pre trip to Petra ( zero info on refund yet ) ) there are now 10 days of cruising that their is no itinerary for as yet. They are offering $1000 OF shipboard credit if you continue with the cruise otherwise no refund or you can get a credit to use later. . Zero help on any flights booked independently   For us a big mistake going back to SS .  Clearly a first world problem but SS. Not really stepping up as yet. 12/8 is the latest to decide 

Have they offered you a future cruise credit for all the cost of the cruise? 

Hi All,

Whilst I am not on this cruise but the 22/12/2023, I have been following this tread with interest. We have just received this morning 22/11/2023 our final cruise document from Silversea via our TA, this is showing that the cruise is disembarking in Aqaba. This does not help alleviate everyone’s concerns as it would appear that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. 

ElectronicTicket_237940-23.pdf

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 4:18 PM, Kauaijim said:

This challenging situation is very puzzling and difficult.  As of this morning, Friday, Nov. 24, the Silversea website shows below as if all is still fully on schedule as advertised and planned.  

image.thumb.png.3aa05d4dd8e8019041c39372c804ce0a.png

Keep us posted as to any more details and background.  

As mentioned earlier, the biggest mystery for us is as to when and how the Silver Moon transits the Suez Canal to get from the Med to the Red Sea and Indian Ocean.  With a short-term cease fire starting today, maybe, hopefully, things will calm down in this war-plagued part of the world??  But, for how long?  

37 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

This challenging situation is very puzzling and difficult.  As of this morning, Friday, Nov. 24, the Silversea website shows below as if all is still fully on schedule as advertised and planned.  

image.thumb.png.3aa05d4dd8e8019041c39372c804ce0a.png

Keep us posted as to any more details and background.  

As mentioned earlier, the biggest mystery for us is as to when and how the Silver Moon transits the Suez Canal to get from the Med to the Red Sea and Indian Ocean.  With a short-term cease fire starting today, maybe, hopefully, things will calm down in this war-plagued part of the world??  But, for how long?  

Yes it’s really upsetting that SS are giving so many mixed messages. I was told on phone now 2 calls with SS that we are to know this week re itinerary change via an official notice. I doubt that will happen today. Checking my travel insurance n credit card insurance the change of itinerary will not be covered. And there is only a few more days to personally cancel trip to still get 25% back of cruise fare.