Saigon Dock Locations

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find out where the Riviera may be assigned to dock in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) in February.  I know that a few of the smaller ships have docked close to the city (Hiep Phuoc, container port on Saigon River not terribly far south of HCMC).  That is what a well known tour guide thinks is correct, but I'm no so sure a ship of Riviera's size can be handled there.  Would anyone know how to find out? Or has anyone been there on a larger ship that's been there?

13 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find out where the Riviera may be assigned to dock in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) in February.  I know that a few of the smaller ships have docked close to the city (Hiep Phuoc, container port on Saigon River not terribly far south of HCMC).  That is what a well known tour guide thinks is correct, but I'm no so sure a ship of Riviera's size can be handled there.  Would anyone know how to find out? Or has anyone been there on a larger ship that's been there?

Did you ask Oceania?

14 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I asked Oceania a similar question before we booked this cruise. I have sailed up the river into Saigon before on Seabourn Encore, 42,000 tons, and wondered if the Riviera, 66,000 tons, would do the same. I was told that it will but to be honest I have my doubts. 
The Encore also sailed into the centre of Bangkok but the Riviera is docking in Laem Chabang. I think it may be a case of ‘wait and see’ but fingers crossed we do!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Have you tried to look it up on the port calendar? 

• Like 1

We will be going to Ho Hi Minh City in February.  I hope we get to do the Ho Chi Minh Slalom, as our Captain on the Azamara Quest called it.  There are 16 curves in the river making it interesting.   I doubt the Riviera, being twice the size, will do it unfortunately. 

21 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I called Oceania. This is their emailed response:

"The port we intend to use is :

SPCT Hiep Phuoc Port, however this is subject to change at port authority discretion."

1 hour ago, Queen of DaNile said:

I called Oceania. This is their emailed response:

"The port we intend to use is :

SPCT Hiep Phuoc Port, however this is subject to change at port authority discretion."

That would be awesome, especially since we overnight there. Thanks for checking. You beat me to it. 😃

19 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

That would be awesome, especially since we overnight there. Thanks for checking. You beat me to it. 😃

Thanks.  That sounds likely.  But I was a little worried that we were too large.  A Regent Seven Seas ship just docked there, or even higher "up," but she is more like Regatta, etc. in size/weight etc.  Also, the Hiep Phuoc SPCT port website mentions smaller size figures too, which made me even more curious/nervous!  Silverseas Whisper sailed WAY up (down?) the Saigon River and I was so jealous, looking at that on Marine Traffic.  Then again, some ships have stopped WAY south of HCMC.  But who knows?  Some things surprise me.  This spring both O's smaller and larger ships sailed down the river to Bordeaux and docked right in the heart of Bordeaux.  But the river wasn't all that curvy....

Regatta was just in Sihanoukville.  I'd love to hear how that was. It sounds like an interesting port.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

19 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thanks.  That sounds likely.  But I was a little worried that we were too large.  A Regent Seven Seas ship just docked there, or even higher "up," but she is more like Regatta, etc. in size/weight etc.  Also, the Hiep Phuoc SPCT port website mentions smaller size figures too, which made me even more curious/nervous!  Silverseas Whisper sailed WAY up (down?) the Saigon River and I was so jealous, looking at that on Marine Traffic.  Then again, some ships have stopped WAY south of HCMC.  But who knows?  Some things surprise me.  This spring both O's smaller and larger ships sailed down the river to Bordeaux and docked right in the heart of Bordeaux.  But the river wasn't all that curvy....

Regatta was just in Sihanoukville.  I'd love to hear how that was. It sounds like an interesting port.

We docked in Bordeaux while on the Riviera in 2019.  It was so convenient to be able enjoy the gorgeous city.