Computer centre/internet access

Onelung

Hi All, we are sailing on QV next June and have just received our flight details which are with Jet2.  I'm OK with this but it says online check in only and I don't want or need internet access.  I don't take an ipad or phone on holiday so my question is, therefore, is there a computer centre or similar where I can access the internet for 1 day (if I pay the daily charge) in order to check in for our return flights?

Thanks

5 hours ago, 57eric said:

Unless you're not checking luggage (unlikely after a Cunard voyage) or don't have a seat assignment, is there any benefit from checking in on line?

There is if there is no alternative, which is the case according to the OP.

5 hours ago, 57eric said:

Unless you're not checking luggage (unlikely after a Cunard voyage) or don't have a seat assignment, is there any benefit from checking in on line?

Some airlines charge you a significant penalty if you do not check in on line, assuming airport check in is available ( it may not be)

I like using my smartphone and I use the internet for lots of things for my own convenience, but as far as I know there is no law that says everyone HAS to have internet access and smartphones. Unfortunately, life has become so difficult, expensive and exclusionary for those of us who choose NOT to use this technology. Similarly, it's not compulsory to have a driver's license or a credit card, but damned if I know how people manage to go about their business without them  (unless you're a corrupt oligarch or druglord, I'm sure THEY have no issues). Glad that WantedOnVoyage has clarified that there is an alternative for those who do not wish to be glued to their "devices" permanently.

Edited by maggielou362
typo

15 hours ago, Onelung said:

Hi All, we are sailing on QV next June and have just received our flight details which are with Jet2.  I'm OK with this but it says online check in only and I don't want or need internet access.  I don't take an ipad or phone on holiday so my question is, therefore, is there a computer centre or similar where I can access the internet for 1 day (if I pay the daily charge) in order to check in for our return flights?

Thanks

I have flown with Jet 2 for a couple of weekends away and could check in nearly a month before my flights which meant I could check in outward and inbound flights at the same time.

1 hour ago, maggielou362 said:

I like using my smartphone and I use the internet for lots of things for my own convenience, but as far as I know there is no law that says everyone HAS to have internet access and smartphones. Unfortunately, life has become so difficult, expensive and exclusionary for those of us who choose NOT to use this technology. Similarly, it's not compulsory to have a driver's license or a credit card, but damned if I know how people manage to go about their business without them  (unless you're a corrupt oligarch or druglord, I'm sure THEY have no issues). Glad that WantedOnVoyage has clarified that there is an alternative for those who do not wish to be glued to their "devices" permanently.

There are a lot of people who can live without a smartphone. I was recently on a long-distance train trip across Canada with a total of seven people in the group. Only three had smartphones and one uses it only as a basic phone.  There are a lot of people who, for varying reasons, do not have a driver's licence.  I can't imagine not having a computer and tablet and a basic mobile phone and credit card and driver's licence. But I draw the line at smartphones.  

There are some events in Toronto where "ticketing" is only on a mobile device. I have spoken to some who do not  have this and asked how they manage to attend. Well, even those whose devices seem to be attached to their hands have found that they sometimes get lost or stolen (or otherwise surgically removed) or they run out of power at an unfortunate time or stop working. There has to be a back-up. And indeed there is, so I have been told.  When our son goes to a baseball game he tells the customer service desk people his phone packed it in and, after providing proof he paid for a ticket, they print a ticket.

I am thankful that Cunard provides computer terminals. I don't want to be sending e-mails from that small tablet I travel with.

Edited by david,Mississauga
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 12:59 PM, Victoria2 said:

I have flown with Jet 2 for a couple of weekends away and could check in nearly a month before my flights which meant I could check in outward and inbound flights at the same time.

That's useful information - thanks. Not sure if this will work with the group flights booked through Cunard as it is a separate jet2 log in page but will certainly have a look.

On 11/24/2023 at 12:43 PM, 57eric said:

I'm not grasping the concept of no airport check in.  Carry on luggage only?

It means you check in online and just drop your luggage off at a drop off point. It saves them having to staff the check in desks.