Eight Years Ago - how times change!

My FB feed has gone a bit crazy with memory posts today. Eight years ago, when P&O was on top of their game, they had all 5 of their ships in Sydney on 25th November, 2015.

Pacific Eden arrived from her inaugural cruise from Fremantle, while Pacific Aria returned from a shakedown cruise with the Today show aboard, ready to depart for her inaugural. The other 3 existing ships were the Sitmar legacy of Pacific Dawn, Pearl, Jewel. They greeted the new arrivals from anchorage points around the harbour. P&O were incredible, and they stitched the day together beautifully.

We had an awesome day. Into Sydney Harbour on Pacific Eden, after an inaugural cruise that was full of challenges including an impossible tendering day in Esperance and cold plates that sucked any possible heat from the meals that were placed upon them. While friends handled our luggage, we took a chartered helicopter flight over the harbour, circling around the 5 ships below. From there, we reunited with our luggage to board Pacific Aria for her maiden cruise to Brisbane and enjoyed the Jess Mauboy concert and fireworks. After spotting this video, I even spotted Barb & I for a couple of seconds. Sensational day, with so many special moments and promotional trinkets.

So what has changed since?

The ships - all 5 have moved on, including two that are now razor blades.

The people - the faces of P&O from aboard the ships have largely moved on, the head office staff that drove this media appear to have moved on as well.

At least the venues aboard are the same as for previous ships, even down to the pantry and the dining room menus and water in milk bottles. For any that think I am anti-P&O in my posts, you are partly correct, but it is mostly from the disappointment of seeing how far they have slipped in the past 8 years.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

My FB feed has gone a bit crazy with memory posts today. Eight years ago, when P&O was on top of their game, they had all 5 of their ships in Sydney on 25th November, 2015.

Pacific Eden arrived from her inaugural cruise from Fremantle, while Pacific Aria returned from a shakedown cruise with the Today show aboard, ready to depart for her inaugural. The other 3 existing ships were the Sitmar legacy of Pacific Dawn, Pearl, Jewel. They greeted the new arrivals from anchorage points around the harbour. P&O were incredible, and they stitched the day together beautifully.

We had an awesome day. Into Sydney Harbour on Pacific Eden, after an inaugural cruise that was full of challenges including an impossible tendering day in Esperance and cold plates that sucked any possible heat from the meals that were placed upon them. While friends handled our luggage, we took a chartered helicopter flight over the harbour, circling around the 5 ships below. From there, we reunited with our luggage to board Pacific Aria for her maiden cruise to Brisbane and enjoyed the Jess Mauboy concert and fireworks. After spotting this video, I even spotted Barb & I for a couple of seconds. Sensational day, with so many special moments and promotional trinkets.

So what has changed since?

The ships - all 5 have moved on, including two that are now razor blades.

The people - the faces of P&O from aboard the ships have largely moved on, the head office staff that drove this media appear to have moved on as well.

At least the venues aboard are the same as for previous ships, even down to the pantry and the dining room menus and water in milk bottles. For any that think I am anti-P&O in my posts, you are partly correct, but it is mostly from the disappointment of seeing how far they have slipped in the past 8 years.

What wonderful memories of another era of Australian cruising. Chartered helicopter flight over the Harbour must have been impressive.  

• Like 3

I caught the tram down to Port Melbourne just to have a look at Pacific Eden when she first came.  Booked a 4 night cruise on her to KI and then a longer (I think 12 nights) one to the Islands.  Very much a boutique ship after Pacific Jewel.  All that brass and velvet.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I caught the tram down to Port Melbourne just to have a look at Pacific Eden when she first came.  Booked a 4 night cruise on her to KI and then a longer (I think 12 nights) one to the Islands.  Very much a boutique ship after Pacific Jewel.  All that brass and velvet.

Those ex-HAL cabins were super comfy too.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What wonderful memories of another era of Australian cruising. Chartered helicopter flight over the Harbour must have been impressive.  

It is a worthwhile thing to do without any ships below. The harbour is amazing alone, but what a day with 5 ships.