Viva deck8: Purpose of Hole in the bow? (pic)

fstuff1

46 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That is a "clearing chock", that is there to let sea water flow overboard when they take seas over the bow.

wow.. very simple solution to excess water on the bow.

would have thought a more complicated drainage system instead of sacrificing  aerodynamics?

8 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

wow.. very simple solution to excess water on the bow.

would have thought a more complicated drainage system instead of sacrificing  aerodynamics?

Given the relative sizes of the bow of the ship and the chock, it doesn't make that much difference in aerodynamics.  Also, hydrodynamics is far more important than aerodynamics for a ship, since the viscosity of the fluid (air or water) effects the drag, and hydrodynamics is about 2 orders of magnitude more important than aerodynamic drag.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Given the relative sizes of the bow of the ship and the chock, it doesn't make that much difference in aerodynamics.  Also, hydrodynamics is far more important than aerodynamics for a ship, since the viscosity of the fluid (air or water) effects the drag, and hydrodynamics is about 2 orders of magnitude more important than aerodynamic drag.

ahh.. so small holes in the deck 8 bow are near negligible compared to holes in the hull.

wait a sec...

😛 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

ahh.. so small holes in the deck 8 bow are near negligible compared to holes in the hull.

wait a sec...

😛 

LOL.  That chock is negligible compared to the openings for the thruster tunnels, which are in a similar location under the water, as the clearing chock.  There are other holes in the hull, where pipes for water suction or discharge are connected, and these, while smaller than the chock have more effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 8:59 AM, chengkp75 said:

when they take seas over the bow.

I get it, I'm sure it happens and at the very least the design needs to consider the possibility.  

But there is definitely something disconcerting about water over the bow of a ship the scale of Viva.  

12 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I get it, I'm sure it happens and at the very least the design needs to consider the possibility.  

But there is definitely something disconcerting about water over the bow of a ship the scale of Viva.  

Remember that Oasis of the Seas took seas over the bow that damaged the first lifeboats on each side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Remember that Oasis of the Seas took seas over the bow that damaged the first lifeboats on each side.

OMG how high were the seas. My instinct cruise was on carnival celebration with 15 foot seas. All i remember is tons of glass crashing everywhere and nobody could stand up. The seas nearly beat that little tuna can to pieces.

2 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

OMG how high were the seas. My instinct cruise was on carnival celebration with 15 foot seas. All i remember is tons of glass crashing everywhere and nobody could stand up. The seas nearly beat that little tuna can to pieces.

60 feet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

OH MY!!! I was about to flip out with 15’. I would be over the edge with 60’

60' is fun!

I was on breakaway pre COVID and waves hit the atrium deck (deck 7) so I assume 70' waves.

They had to put towels under the sliding doors to keep out the water.

Wheeee!