Does anyone enjoy Royal Caribbean?

MartaMartian

Let me preface this by saying I’m a cruise newbie. My first cruise was in 2022 on the Sky and I enjoyed it so much I booked the Bliss for a Mexican Riviera cruise in 2024. I did a lot of research before I chose Norwegian. I like Freestyle and FAS. It’s been super easy for me to book and manage my cruises. 

That being said, I decided to book a RC cruise to Alaska, mostly because of the port times and it seems my 12 year old will find more onboard to interest him. I’m happy with the ship, cabin, itinerary, and price (more or less). 

However, figuring out how RC “works” has been a headache. Drink package? Forget it. All of them are crazy expensive.

MyTime dining? I had to select “MyTime” 9 months in advance in order to insure something that might work for us. All of the prices for internet, drinks package, excursions, etc, seem to be in a constant state of flux, and the advice is to watch prices, cancel and rebook. I do not have time for that.

I hear the food is not very good (not that I was particularly wowed by the food on the Sky) and Royal wants you to pay extra not only for dinner but also for lunch, in the specialty restaurants. Doesn’t seem like they have many late night options either. 

Any survival tips from NCL fan? This will be my lemonade, drip coffee, and tap water cruise 🤣

Having been on both lines many many many times, both have their perks. Royal doesn’t have the free at sea, but NCL is often more a bit expensive when you in comparable ship classes and itineraries. Those FAS costs are more built in. nothing in the NCL fleet can contend with an Oasis or Icon class. NCL Bliss is my all time favorite ship, but I was not in awe of it like Wonder OTS.  Royal is much better, IMO, for younger kids and families. Coco Cay is vastly superior to Great Stirrup Cay. I’ve had much better service as a regular passenger on Royal, but vastly superior service as a Haven passenger vs Royal Sky Class. Speciality dining options on NCL are a MILE (maybe two) better than Royal. NCL has a better night life. 

there are all my personal opinions and observations. Both lines will continue to transport my fat butt around the globe depending on dates and itineraries. Others will call me crazy on some of the things I said above, but that is their opinion as well. Personally I favor NCL with just the wife and I, but favor Royal when we take the kids. I recently booked my first Princess cruise and having a hard time figuring them out, so I feel ya on that!! 

Edited by TheDawg79
  • Like 11

Thanks for the reply. I definitely looked into Princess for my Alaskan cruise. They seemed to have great programming and activities for Alaska and some cool ships up there as well, like the Majestic Princess which is designed for the Chinese market. Would have done it if it was just my husband or with younger kids.  I think it’s kind of like NCL where you have the sail-away no frills package, the FAS, and the FAS+. They have the Medallion instead of a card, which sounds more convenient. 

Edited by MartaMartian

I had some things I liked about Royal.  There were also some things I didn't like, but some of that was probably due to the number of kids on board since it was a school vacation week (why it was booked since my brother and his wife with their school-age kids were 'driving the bus' on the trip).

I have absolutely enjoyed my 4 cruises on NCL since those first 2 on Royal.  As a solo traveler, the program NCL puts together for us is amazing!

• Like 2

Hallux, can you tell me what you liked? I’m definitely booking for my kid. It literally came down to, what is going to produce the least amount of whining because there is no way I am buying internet! I normally sail with my cousin, who’s 20 years older than me, and it’s a “girls cruise”. This RC cruise with my family, since my husband doesn’t drink, I’ve decided we’ll stick with the 2 bottles of wine we’re allowed, and a 12 pk of sparkling water. The rest of the drinks we can pay as we go. I imagine I’ll be trying to eat/drink on shore a lot.

We sail both, and everything you seen to be worrying about Royal is what we hate. I despise constantly checking the cruise planner for sales. The Black Friday "sale" they just had was a joke. 

We also hate booking everything a la carte so tend to book Star Class which is all inclusive but often cost prohibitive. (And to be honest, given a choice of Star Class or Haven, Haven is more our speed).

And you are absolutely right. We are just off Oasis in October and Sorrento's was literally the only hopping place at 12:30a because it was the only late night option. 

Can you share the ship you booked? We liked Oasis and Quantum Class, not so much the Explorer class. 

AlexandNessa I don’t know of the Star class on RC. I agree about the Black Friday sale, I have proof I would have saved money by booking a few days earlier.  

We’re booked on Ovation, which I believe is Quantum class. Really, I’m pleased with my booking, just feel spoiled by how easy things seem with NCL by comparison.

We have only done Royal and NCL.  We don't drink much so the draw for the drink packages on an NCL cruise doesn't really factor in for us.  On our next NCL sailing (This coming Saturday on the Escape) we actually decided we didn't need the drink package for both of us so we saved $313.  We will have a drink here or there but maybe 10 drinks the whole cruise 

That being said, the specialty restaurants are certainly more plentiful on NCL but I feel that Royal has more "free" options on thier ships.  I think in the MDR it's been hit or miss on both lines.  And while Royal has fewer options for specialty restaurants some of the best meals we have had at sea have been at Chops and Sabor and those do come at a price.  We do find that food can be super inconsistent on Cruise ships (Weve had amazing experiences at Moderno and one of our worst meals ever at Moderno) so YMMV as far as the food goes.

As far as "my time dining" on Royal we have found that to be early or late there is always a wait.  So we try to do traditional dining and if the timing is off based on port times or ship schedules we either hit the buffet or wait in the my time dining line (which can sometimes be long)

As far as the ships go, Royal ships have always appealed more to us.  We love the large Esplanades and open air feel of the public spaces.  The atrium on the NCL ships always feels crowded and the low cielings make you feel enclosed.

I think understanding the nuances of each line and using them to your advantage can really make both lines enjoyable. 

PS - Quantum class on Royal is our favorite class as well.  That'll be awesome in Alaska.

Edited by wilmingtech
  • Like 2

Thank you, Wilmingtech. So far I have only sailed on the Sky and found it was also hit or miss with the dining. It was really a big perk for us to have those FAS dinners included, and I certainly enjoyed them. I may purchase a  sea day lunch at Izumi for my husband and I. 

Funny cause people say NCL nickels and dimes but I’m finding it more from RC, and I haven’t even boarded yet!

Edited by MartaMartian
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MartaMartian said:

Funny cause people say NCL nickels and dimes but I’m finding it more from RC, and I haven’t even boarded yet!

I think all the lines come up with creative ways to vaccuum out your pockets.  Some you pay for it up front and others out back.  Regardless with either line you can have a great cruise and not spend a dollar more than the base fare, taxes and gratuities.

If you have only sailed NCL Sky then you are in for quite a treat on a Quantum Class ship.

Edited by wilmingtech
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MartaMartian said:

Thank you, Wilmingtech. So far I have only sailed on the Sky and found it was also hit or miss with the dining. It was really a big perk for us to have those FAS dinners included, and I certainly enjoyed them. I may purchase a  sea day lunch at Izumi for my husband and I. 

RCL and NCL are my favorite lines.

Royal ships (larger varieties) are spectacular. Our last cruise (pre-covid) was on the Anthem (Bermuda & Caribbean). Loved it.

We did Alaska on the Radiance several years ago, with a 4 day land extension. Smaller ship, less glam, but nice. Hubbard Glacier was fantastic, though they say Glacier Bay is the best.

Here's a lunch tip. If they have not changed the way they do this, do a MDR lunch. Besides a standard  daily menu, there's a great salad bar - you pick your items, they prepare, mix, dress and plate it for you; choice of proteins, including shrimp & chicken. Can easily be a meal in itself. Next to the salad bar was a dessert buffet. Way more comfy than the buffet.

We had booked RCL for a Ne England in June 2020 and NCL Bliss to Panama  for June 2021.

Both cancelled, of course.

Finally out again, next month, for a nearly identical Bliss cruise; just a couple of port changes. Only 3 years late.  😮

When are you sailing Alaska? 

Cruiser2015, we’re on Ovation departing Seattle 8/23/24. 

I did not know about the MDR salad bar on RC, thanks! I did thoroughly enjoy my MDR breakfast and lunch on the Sky. Can’t wait for more on the Bliss!

Panama Canal transit is definitely a bucket list for me, hope you enjoy it!

The free food on RC was much stronger than the free food on NCL.  

We sailed to Alaska a very long time ago (I was pregnant with my oldest, who is 13 now) but back then people paid for the internet per minute.  The local, land based cell coverage was amazing and worked whenever the ship was close to land.  Check with the Alaska board to see if that is still the case since a lot may have changed in 13 years.  Plus we weren't trying to play games or stream videos back then, but I remembered being very grateful I could check my internet and work on that cruise for free a lot of the time.

Check with the RC board (we last sailed them a year ago) but you wanted early or late fixed seating, since there were lines for open dining (even oddly with a reservation).

There will be lots of kids on any ship to Alaska over the summer, so your child should have a great time!

For excursions, remember most of them are close in Alaska, so its easy to use private vendors and save money because excursions in Alaska are insanely expensive (everything - including labor has to be imported for the tour season.  Most of the workers spend half the year in Hawaii and the other part in Alaska).  Tours were cheaper through the private operators - TEMSCO runs the helicopters used on ship tours and are 10% cheaper if you book independently.  

And for others, I'd agree Princess does a great job in Alaska.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

So far I’ve only sailed on NCL…please don’t let the activity level on the Sky influence you on things to do for your kids! The Sky is one of the oldest and smallest ships in the fleet. Once you see a Breakaway or Breakaway + ship, there is so much for the kids to do! PS - my favorite ship with NCL is the Sky because there is nothing to do….but relax!

I’m also branching out over the next three years with 2 cruises booked on Celebrity and one on HAL. My sister sails with me a lot and switched from Royal to NCL as she was more impressed with NCL, so I probably won’t try Royal for a while.

Please keep in mind that food is very subjective and while I may dislike something, others will love it. I’ve never had a bad meal at LaCucina and have never had a good meal at Moderna, but others will say just the opposite - and that’s OK! 

Edited by NayRN

Oh i think you will enjoy Ovation. We liked Anthem a lot and booked Odyssey for 2025. You're right in that there will be a lot more for you son to do (but in fairness but as RayRN stated, there would also be a lot for him to do on a B/B+ class so a well.)

Having sailed Oasis in October and Getaway in November the latest  comparisons are still pretty fresh for us. Chops was def our worst meal and Cagney's blew it away (which TBH surprised me). I think Oasis Class has more dining options than Quantum Class, but Royal's dining packages are exhausting to price track.  And then Royal had a stupid policy which they've only recently reconsidered. On Royal if you had a dining package (and like Norwegian, it makes me financial sense to buy a package than pay a la carte), you had to wait till you were on the ship to make your reservations. Not sure when the change is going into effect, but it's only recently that you can now book dining reservations in advance if you have a package. 

Living in Seattle, I have cruised to Alaska MANY times and on many lines. Besides your itinerary (how long in port, are tenders or shuttles used, etc) how the ship is laid out and what is available on board is more important (in general) than in the Carribean for example.  I have sailed Ovation and what I liked was the cabin (larger, even as a solo) and the crew was great.  What I didn’t like was the layout of the ship.  It was much more inward focused, if that makes sense with its main promenade and it always felt crowded.  There were many activities geared to kids so that would be great for you, but so does NCL, for example.  My advice?  Decide YOUR priorities based on your needs and find a SHIP that matches (not just a cruise line).  Alaska cruises are much more about excursions and scenic cruising (and the excursions are very expensive but generally once in a lifetime memories as well).  Hope that helps.  

• Like 2

We have sailed both RC and NCL. I have a cruise on NCL booked for September only because of the itinerary. NCL had all the ports I wanted compared to RC. I think the food is better on RC both in the main dining room and the specialties. You can't beat the RC oasis class ships. Central Park is our favorite place for drinks. So much for the kids to do on RC compared to NCL. The RC private island is better too. As far as pricing goes if you add in what you want for the RC cruise it comes out pretty close. Nothing is really for free with NCL as it is worked into the price.

• Like 3

NCL has deposits of $250, which are fully refundable until final payment. As an "older" couple who changes their mind (a lot), that's huge for us. Also, NCL has a 10% Veteran's discount...also huge. Plus, anytime dining, no "formal" nights, stockholder OBC, etc. Until Royal or other other lines can match all of those things, we'll stick with NCL

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 5

Two cruises on RCL, the Allure and the Oasis.

12 on NCL.

On RCL enjoyed the adult only solarium, late night Sorrentos pizza and having a cabin overlooking Central Park.

Much everything else was just ok.

Cons were I found anytime dining involved long waits to be seated in the main dining rooms, the drink package expensive and service just ok.

Due to status on NCL and the perks I  receive, it would take a really great deal to sway me to RCL 

I'm a Diamond on Royal and Sapphire on NCL.  Have sailed both quite a bit, but more on NCL.  Last couple of Royal Cruises have been disappointing.  But, before the COVID shutdown they did well.  Now, their cutbacks seem to be more severe than those on NCL.  Last Royal on the Ovation (one of their newer ships) last year they actually posted that the WINDJAMMER (their buffet) was SOLD OUT.  Never saw that before.  It sent people scrambling for other dining alternatives, which were packed because the Windjammer had too many people.  Never had seen that before on any other cruise line.  Left a bad taste.

I now read where Diamonds are no longer allowed in the Diamond Lounge, which I used quite a bit given they had good coffee and a concierge, which I used regularly.  So, that's a "ding". 

Plus, when you total everything up, packages, perks, etc. NCL is the better deal.

I can sail in the Haven on NCL for about what it costs for a Jr Suite on Royal.  The 4 free drinks for being Diamond on Royal is nice.  But, having FAS with only tips being charged, I tend to drink 2x that (including sodas (which would be extra cost for a soda package on Royal) on NCL.

Ships on both lines are nice and well kept.  Specialty Dining is about the same on both.  I'll give NCL a little nod for service over Royal. NCL crew seem to always be willing to help.  Royal crew sometimes (not all the time) sometimes act like I'm in their way.

Royal used to be equal in entertainment to NCL.   That's where I've noticed the biggest difference recently.  NCL has moved to some smaller shows, but those are way better than even some of the main shows on Royal.

Don't get me wrong.  If I can find a really good fare on Royal, I'll book it (like I did last year).  So far, those are few.

• Like 1

Hi, 

i did the Alaska with RCL and it was perfect, we also went to Caribbean with RCL, and I really liked it. Now we booked the first NCL cruise, and because I am used to RCL, this one was confusing to me. So I guess this is normal, the switch from one line to another… 

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

NCL has deposits of $250, which are fully refundable until final payment. As an "older" couple who changes their mind (a lot), that's huge for us. Also, NCL has a 10% Veteran's discount...also huge. Plus, anytime dining, no "formal" nights, stockholder OBC, etc. Until Royal or other other lines can match all of those things, we'll stick with NCL

Paying the $750 non-refundable deposit for RC was indeed painful since I’d only booked with NCL and Carnival before.

I did a lot of research and even made a spreadsheet comparing Carnival, Princess, Norwegian, and Royal. I looked for long port times and the availability of covered pools and things like go carts. 

None of the NCL ships sailing to Alaska have covered pools! I saw lots of reviews complaining that NCL docks farther away, and you have to wait for shuttle busses, then feel rushed to get back to the ship due to shorter port times. I also hear that the racetracks are closed a lot on sea days due to wind. 

Ovation has a covered pool (in fact 2, one adults-only), you get hours longer in port, and their bumper cars are indoors, so there’s a higher chance of being able to use them. 

I liked the Sky. I think it’s more like classic cruising where you get to know your fellow passengers and staff. It seems the Sky is doing an around-the-world cruise in 2025, leaving from NY and ending in Korea. Sounds like a nice way to see the world! If it were just me and my spouse, the Jewel one-way from Vancouver to Seward sounds like the perfect Alaska cruise. But gotta keep the kiddo entertained so RC it is!

Bigger ships intimidate me in a way, although I’m sure I’ll have a fine time on the Bliss and Ovation. 

Edited by MartaMartian