Tipping....yes, again

Rdclfamily

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

What does an average even mean? It means a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

"cost of living certainly varies greatly across the US so comparing average US salary to an isolated area is meaningless."

The lowest median income in the USA is Mississippi at about $45K/year.

If you aren't making more than the median income in the lowest paid state in the USA - you aren't being paid "extremely well".

"And comparing a college student restaurant worker..."

26% of restaurant employees are enrolled in school. 74% are not students at all.

Most restaurant workers are not students, and are not teens/early 20's.

Obviously not asking for the definition of average. Just stating that the calculation for the entire US and all the diverse cost of living areas, is meaningless.

You may want to go back to school to learn the difference between average and median which you seem to use interchangeably. It is meaningless to include millionaire salaries in calculations determining what is a living wage for a normal person. And where you live absolutely makes a big difference.

I made no claims about age of restaurant workers. That was your bias.

On 12/2/2023 at 8:22 PM, Rdclfamily said:

I'm trying to calculate what our gratuities will be this time and I think they will be at least $800-1000 for the week if we keep auto-gratuities.  That feels tough to swallow, especially considering the fact that we are off the ship for 3 out of 7 days.  I wish I would have removed it and then just tipped individually.  Now I'm in a confused state.  

That's the $ amt you knew when booking.  Therefore, you should not tamper with that.  If you want to tip someone special / extra, do it.  Wife & I have been Diamond for last couple of yrs now.  We rarely eat in the MDR.  Just don't find it convenient, too time consuming... however, the folks working there are counting on that $$ and it's not their decision we ate at the buffets instead.  The preset / auto gratuities are the bare minimum.  We tip on drinks, give the room Stewart an extra $10 or so per week (we normally do B2B's) in addition to the auto $$.  Oh, and we may have our room cleaned 2 times @ week.  Most days we simply swap out some clean towels, wash rags...

18 hours ago, dandeck said:

That's the $ amt you knew when booking.  Therefore, you should not tamper with that.  If you want to tip someone special / extra, do it. 

Tip what you want, when you want to whoever you want.  Remove the auto-grats if you want.  Don't let anybody guilt trip you in paying something you don't want to.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

Tip what you want, when you want to whoever you want.  Remove the auto-grats if you want.  Don't let anybody guilt trip you in paying something you don't want to.

Agreed.   Your money, you choose what to do with it. 

Edited by TiredTrucker
  • Like 4

On 1/4/2024 at 1:58 AM, crazyank said:

The guidelines are spelled out in no uncertain terms.  By booking you are agreeing to those terms.  Now, if something goes completely off the rails, then adjust accordingly.  However, barring that, the deal was spelled out in plain English.  The gratuities are simply part of the cost of the cruise and the folks working on board are counting on them.  Again, if there's a serious lack of service by someone, address it accordingly.  Other than that, you knew full well what was expected.  I'll add that in 40 Carnival cruises to date, some with kids as well, I've never felt the need to reduce any gratuities.  Since the cabin Stewart is our main contact, I normally give them an extra $10 a week.  As a beer drinker, an extra $1 for a bucket.  I've had in depth discussions with the guys on the ships.  They need the $ and really appreciate any extra.  Not to mention they will find you like a heat seeking missile with your  drinks! (-:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/17/2023 at 6:59 PM, ldubs said:

I tip at certain places in America because it is customary and expected.   Do the same on cruise ships.  So far I've avoided being a victim of "emotional blackmail".   I am seldom a victim of anything other than what goes along with old age.   

Sorry to hear you are experiencing such dissatisfaction with the Carnival's standards of service.  I have a rule that has served me well about not doing things I don't enjoy.  

Bingo!  A repeat "dissatisfied" passenger??!  LOL 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, dandeck said:

By booking you are agreeing to those terms.

And those terms are that the gratuities are automatic but not mandatory.

That isn't me making a case for or against.  Folks can make their own decisions. 

Edit to add I get the point you are making, that the grats are clearly indicated upfront and the expectation is that you will pay them if you book, which I do think is a fair point.

Edited by TiredTrucker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dandeck said:

By booking you are agreeing to those terms.

The TERMS are that the grats are not mandatory

2 hours ago, dandeck said:

The gratuities are simply part of the cost of the cruise

Nope,  the grats are an optional expense.

• Like 3

On 1/3/2024 at 11:58 PM, crazyank said:

On 1/4/2024 at 1:10 AM, TiredTrucker said:

Agreed.   Your money, you choose what to do with it. 

Ultimately this is the correct answer.  When the question is asked on a forum all views will be shared.  

• Like 2

Stupid question... We usually pay the gratuities in advance, when paying for our cruise fare but haven't done so yet for our next cruise (which we just booked for March). Since we have a pretty big OBC, if we just leave the gratuities unpaid, will they just charge them to the cabin and apply the OBC against that charge?