Post cruise flight from Athens Airport to an island

giadav

What is the earliest time I should book my flight from Athens to a Greek island?  Our cruise ends in Piraeus in July.  My choices are 9:50am or 4:20pm, I really want that morning flight because it would be a wasted day if we take the afternoon.  (We have been to Athens many times).  Is it crazy to book the morning flight?  

@giadav

We usually book the island flights at least six months ahead of time. However, keep checking aegeanair.com as they have sales from time to time. 

You only need to check in one hour ahead of time for domestic flights.  Add one hour to get to the airport from the pier. To be safe, leave the ship a little more than two hours before flight time.  In your case, if you can disembark at 7:30 you will have enough time to make your 9:50 flight.

If you go to one of the smaller islands, you might fly a 30 or so passenger plane. Carry-on rules are very strict. You will need to check any US sized carry-on luggage. Also, many domestic flights leave from the tarmac and they bus you there from the gate. If that is the case, make sure you get to the airport a little sooner. So, leave the ship by 7:30.

Where are you going to?

Edited by marazul

5 hours ago, giadav said:

What is the earliest time I should book my flight from Athens to a Greek island?

On a land trip, not a cruise but it should make no difference, we took a ferry from Piraeus to Crete where we spent a week.  You will already be in Piraeus when you disembark, so a ferry to your island choice would make sense and no luggage weight issues either.......providing there is a ferry service with timings which suit your plans.

Edited by edinburgher

54 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

On a land trip, not a cruise but it should make no difference, we took a ferry from Piraeus to Crete where we spent a week.  You will already be in Piraeus when you disembark, so a ferry to your island choice would make sense and no luggage weight issues either.......providing there is a ferry service with timings which suit your plans.

I wish we could take the ferry, but the trip is too long.  We are going to Samos and Kos, so we have to fly.

2 hours ago, marazul said:

@giadav

We usually book the island flights at least six months ahead of time. However, keep checking aegeanair.com as they have sales from time to time. 

You only need to check in one hour ahead of time for domestic flights.  Add one hour to get to the airport from the pier. To be safe, leave the ship a little more than two hours before flight time.  In your case, if you can disembark at 7:30 you will have enough time to make your 9:50 flight.

If you go to one of the smaller islands, you might fly a 30 or so passenger plane. Carry-on rules are very strict. You will need to check any US sized carry-on luggage. Also, many domestic flights leave from the tarmac and they bus you there from the gate. If that is the case, make sure you get to the airport a little sooner. So, leave the ship by 7:30.

Where are you going to?

We go to the Greek islands every year, just never did a cruise.  I don’t know if getting off the ship by 7:30 is doable (we are on Celebrity).  I would assume the ship has to get clearance 1st, like it does in the United States……..(we are going to Kos)

1 hour ago, giadav said:

We go to the Greek islands every year, just never did a cruise.  I don’t know if getting off the ship by 7:30 is doable (we are on Celebrity).  I would assume the ship has to get clearance 1st, like it does in the United States……..(we are going to Kos)

Its likely there will be little or no formalities clearing the ship.

Just now, marazul said:

As mentioned above, there are minimal formalities clearing the ship.  You should be able to get out one hour after docking.  And, certainly, by 7 am.

Wow, really?  Thank you, I think I will book a private transfer so we don’t waste time as someone suggested above as well.

11 minutes ago, giadav said:

Wow, really?  Thank you, I think I will book a private transfer so we don’t waste time as someone suggested above as well.

Good idea for the private transfer.  

And when you are on board, check on disembarkation procedures, luggage, etc.  

You might want to check on all of that on the Celebrity CC board to give you an idea.

15 hours ago, giadav said:
16 hours ago, edinburgher said:

providing there is a ferry service with timings which suit your plans.

I wish we could take the ferry, but the trip is too long.  We are going to Samos and Kos, so we have to fly.

No worries, it was only a thought that a ferry could have been more practical.

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Good idea for the private transfer.  

And when you are on board, check on disembarkation procedures, luggage, etc.  

You might want to check on all of that on the Celebrity CC board to give you an idea.

Thank you for your help and suggestions