Suite butlers vs Haven butlers

Jacobs Ema

Hello everyone!

My question…

We always cruise the Haven, and I’ve gotten pretty good about not feeling self conscious when I request something from the butler. One of our favorites is asking them to pick up our dessert from the specialty restaurant and bring it to our cabin for us.

We are cruising the PoA, and from what I am reading, the suite butlers apparently don’t do that kind of thing. So many people are so negative about the ship, the service and the staff that I am beginning to worry a bit. We love NCL but I am beginning to wonder if I erred booking this trip.

I would love to be able to cruise on the Pride.  Once of a lifetime adventure.  Imagine being able to see more of Hawaii than the beach in Honolulu without having to pack and unpack every day?

Remember that the Pride is the only ship in the Norwegian fleet that is registered in the United States (Honolulu) and therefore She is required to have mostly an American staff (which is why She is so much more expensive).  A friend of mine from Wisconsin is currently on board as General Manager.

If a dessert from a Specialty restaurant (other than Cagney's does the Pride have one?) and butlers are more important than the cruise than this wonderful itinerary and making memories of a lifetime with family, then maybe you have chosen the wrong ship.

If given the chance, I would go sail on the Pride in a heartbeat.

We've done the pride twice in a suite. first of all the suites are the way to go because it's just a better cost-effective way and the balconies are way bigger on the pride, and there are some great room configurations. And you still get to go to cagnes for your breakfast and lunch and get all the priority the same as you would with a haven. I actually think the fact its Americans gets a lot more flack than it should.  We have had wonderful service both times we went by the staff. we did not find any difference in service when we left our room compared to any other ship. That said yes the butlers on that ship are different than butlers on any other ship. But what we found was that it's because it's such a port intensive itinerary the butlers are not used to having to work during the day. They kind of expect you to be off the ship touring so if you turn a port day into a sea day and stay on the ship, a lot of times they don't know what to do with you. That said, our first trip on the pride our Butler was terrible and did things that we had to report to the concierge but I still think that was of her own doing, she was just unprofessional.  The second time we went the Butler was fine and actually still fulfilled all of our regular requests no problem.  We would never hesitate to do that trip again and stay in a suite. in fact we've looked at doing it again it's just that it's gotten so expensive that other trips are more cost-effective for a haven.

Maybe I'm wrong (haven't sailed on Pride of America), but I can't imagine a butler saying no to this request. When we first board and talk with our butler, we always ask how they prefer we make arrangements for room service. Perhaps, in this conversation, talk with them and let them know you'll be asking them to do this. Ask them what the best way to order would be, for them to get the dessert to you. We typically ask:

- how many hours before should we order?

- would you prefer us to give you a day's notice?

- are you ok with us ordering from multiple restaurants? multiple dishes? etc.? 

Again, things could be different in a non-Haven Pride of America suite, so maybe the butler will shut the door and skedaddle down the hallway. I kind of doubt it though. 

I'm sharing my not asked for and much-maligned opinion here...don't go on a cruise to Hawaii. Do a land trip. Pack those bags every three or four days and travel between the islands. There are a lot of ways to see Hawaii. I consider a cruise the worst and would never (probably never, I don't like never'ism's) book a cruise to see those stunning islands and sublime views. 

Whatever you do, enjoy your trip!

We sailed POA when it was new in 2006.  Train wreck.

Sailed again in 2016 and pretty good.  Some things a bit different.  One example you can't order Cagney's for breakfast or lunch room service.  Pizza in buffet at wood oven very good.

Edited by dexddd

Have cruised POA in a suite 4 times and have not noticed any difference in quality of service from the butlers vs other NCL ships.  The only limitation we ever experienced was regarding not delivering breakfast or lunch from Cagney's.  The 2 best butlers we have ever had were on the POA. 

Edited by WillCruiseForMoney
typo