MSC to Princess. Help and advise.

CruisingFox27

We are contemplating a Princess cruise, we’re long term MSC sailors and would like to understand the different levels and benefits of Princess to ensure we book a cabin and experience that meets our needs. It would be a lengthy repositioning cruise, so we don’t want to be those people on board complaining it’s unsuitable because they didn’t know what they had booked – we’ve all met them, lol.

When we book MSC we’ve always booked Aurea or YC. Our primary priorities are the Anytime dining, having a table for 2 and no queuing for dinner. The availability of breakfast delivery – in the absence of tea/coffee facilities. We very much appreciate the private sundeck, it’s always quiet and no fuss for beds. On longer cruises, having a sofa and cabin space is beneficial. We have always had the drinks packages included (the old Aurea package did) the mid range AIB&R or Easy Plus would be fine, and we do need Wi-Fi.

So, from initial investigations, I think we need a Mini suite or Mini suite reserve? What are the main benefit differences? The cruises we’re looking at are on Diamond Princess and Crown Princess – what size ship would these compare to in the MSC fleet?

Cabin category, what are the differences? - M1 MB MD ME

Cabin location – things to be aware of and consider? All of our cabin locations have been deck 13 forward or Deck 15 and 16 forward. I read comments about having a covered balcony? Deck 9 uncovered – can everyone then just look onto your balcony? D232

The dining option shows as Dine My Way – it states about booking, is this for a specific time? Do you have book on the app each day, every day? Can you do that later in the day, i.e. 6pm if you want to dine at 8pm? What happens if you’re late/early? Can you just turn up and be seated? We like to dine later rather than early, 8pm would be the earliest we’d usually dine.

How is the food? I know it’s always a contentious issue, but I’ll say now we have always been very happy with MSC food and like having multiple choices and the flexibility of ordering a variety of different courses.

The Sanctuary – who has access to this - is it complimentary for anyone - mini suite, reserve mini suite guests? Can you purchase day passes? Cost? Is food and drink available and included in the cost or in the drink package?

We rarely, if ever, go to the theatre or do activities, so they aren't a concern. It's dining and having a peaceful sea day that would feature highly for us.

Any other information from those of you who have experience of both cruise lines, would be much appreciated.

Edited by CruisingFox27

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We have always had the drinks packages included (the old Aurea package did) the mid range AIB&R or Easy Plus would be fine, and we do need Wi-Fi.

just get Princess Plus or Princess Premier and you will be set for drinks, wifi and grats. And also for room service, I think.

We love Princess, even though we usually travel in lowly inside or obstructed balcony on deck 8

at best.

The cruises we’re looking at are on Diamond Princess and Crown Princess – what size ship would these compare to in the MSC fleet?

Also, I would NOT travel on anything older than Royal Princess.

The dining option shows as Dine My Way – it states about booking, is this for a specific time? Do you have book on the app each day, every day?

we book the time we like in advance. You can book the same time every day or make individual reservations for different times on different days.

2 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Can you just turn up and be seated?

yes, but having a reservation helps skip the line. Although, I doubt there will be a line at 8 pm.

Princess is a rather tranquil line. There is an adult only area, and I think it's free, but we never tried it because we do have a kid with us.

You may want to ask your Princess related questions in the Princess subforum rather than in the MSC one. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

just get Princess Plus or Princess Premier and you will be set for drinks, wifi and grats. And also for room service, I think.

We love Princess, even though we usually travel in lowly inside or obstructed balcony on deck 8

at best.

Also, I would NOT travel on anything older than Royal Princess.

we book the time we like in advance. You can book the same time every day or make individual reservations for different times on different days.

yes, but having a reservation helps skip the line. Although, I doubt there will be a line at 8 pm.

Princess is a rather tranquil line. There is an adult only area, and I think it's free, but we never tried it because we do have a kid with us.

You may want to ask your Princess related questions in the Princess subforum rather than in the MSC one. 🙂

Thanks. I have also posted in the Princess forum too. The ship choice is dictated by us wanting to do specific itineraries, and they are the only ship options. We don't mind slightly older ships, we've sailed Orchestra etc and had a great time. We'd definitely have the plus package for drinks and wifi. It's just working out the dining suitability, I think, we don't enjoy having to arrive at a set time.  Tranquil sound ideal 🙂

• Like 1

I have sailed both (Princess 5 times/MSC once but about to be twice).  Mini suites don't come with a lot of extras other than a larger room and usually a tub/shower combo.  The reserve collection comes with priority embarkation/debarkation, a one time wine set up, evening canapes upon request and a special section of the dining room with added menu items.  I think the M + a number is the reserve collection and the M + letter are the regular mini suites.  Only differences in the various types are cabin location.

All dining on Princess is anytime.  You can make reservations in the app or just show up whenever you want.  How busy it is will depend on when you go, although if you have the reserve collection there is rarely much of a wait.  At a later hour you should have no problems just showing up and requesting a table for two.  

Personally, I have no problems travelling on any of the Princess fleet, new or old.  I think they do a good job of keeping up their ships, but that is a personal preference.  

The Sanctuary has a cost.  $20 for half day, $40 for full day and $30 per day if you book for the whole voyage.  

I would say on a longer repositioning cruise, the ages of your fellow passengers will skew older with very few if any children.  That tends to make most of the ship fairly peaceful.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And if you want to book the Sanctuary, that is the first place you must go upon embarkation.  You cannot book until you are onboard and it does book up fast.  Send the fastest person to go immediately there ASAP.  

• Like 2

Those two ships are larger than Musica cLass,  but smaller than Fantasia class.  There are two recent live threads by members who regularly sail other lines, but they sailed on Regal.  However you might find them informative as to activities and ambiance.  One is by @TxTeach79and the other by @Saint Greg.  EM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1