Asking the chef for special requests

Steve007NY

One of the treats we’ve enjoyed most on previous SB cruises (Sojourn x3 but not since COVID) is asking the chef to prepare special dishes for us (soft shell crabs, scallops with bacon brittle). We are o the WC segment Auckland to Taipei. In reading comments on CC these past few months, it sounds like we should dramatically lower our expectations.

Any feedback from more recent pax?  Will we at least be able to get our blini and caviar? 🤞

4 hours ago, Steve007Sonoma said:

Thanks. Some of the postings on this board have been so full of gloom and doom about the decline in food and service on Seaborn. I guess I’m just needlessly worrying.

People that post on these boards represents a very small section of the passengers that actually sail.

It's a drop in the ocean for want of better words.

• Like 5

Plenty of caviar, there is no sign of that going away.  As to special orders, yes you can request, and as Mr. L suggests, give the kitchen an advance notice.  But don'e expect the kitchen to have an exotic ingredients as the staff will not be able to get off in port and buy what is needed for your special meal.  And don't expect perfection if the chef is not familiar with what you want.  For instance, last month we attended a special dinner where the hostess/passenger designed a "southern fried" dinner.  The French chef tried his best, but some of the dishes were not even close to the real thing, for instance hush puppies.

1 hour ago, tv24 said:

Plenty of caviar, there is no sign of that going away.  As to special orders, yes you can request, and as Mr. L suggests, give the kitchen an advance notice.  But don'e expect the kitchen to have an exotic ingredients as the staff will not be able to get off in port and buy what is needed for your special meal.  And don't expect perfection if the chef is not familiar with what you want.  For instance, last month we attended a special dinner where the hostess/passenger designed a "southern fried" dinner.  The French chef tried his best, but some of the dishes were not even close to the real thing, for instance hush puppies.

Thanks for the feedback.

My tendency is to request things that are among my favorites, but nothing easiest to cook at home (sweetbread is the best example).

I’m too old to expect perfection from anything or anyone 🙂

Hoya-  ‘hush puppies’ or a southern fried cornmeal fritter like food

I think the most successful special orders are for Asian food - probably Indian - as that is what the chefs are more attuned to in their 'normal' lives, and appreciate us asking for them.  People usually say that they have wonderful meals if they choose these.

• Like 2

I would not assume you'd get an automatic yes to any and all request.  Factors that may come into play:  Penthouse or higher suite fare, status (# of nights), who the chef is, and what the request is.  I would not assume that a first time passenger in a regular balcony suite is going to get the same answer as a passenger with 700 plus nights over the past 30 years including world cruises in Owner's Suite.  I would not assume something that happened in 2017 would happen again in 2024.  They try their best but they do something say no.  We don't make a lot of special requests so its more what we heard from other passengers who do.  To be honest often times I side with Seabourn as granting the request would impact other passengers service.

Edited by stan01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hoya68 said:

Mon Dieu Chiots calmes?

I was present for the meeting with the French Chef.  That was his specific response, at least in his head.  We all had a big giggle over the hush puppies order.

Edited by tv24

1 hour ago, stan01 said:

Penthouse or higher suite fare, status (# of nights)

Curious what others say, but I'd be very surprised if this factored in. Certainly the suite class I think would be completely irrelevant. Status could be a factor, but more likely in that you'd know more of the staff and have a better working relationship than anything else. Plus, Seabourn is a repeat customer business...those with less status are just opportunities to earn loyalty for future cruising.

• Like 6

I certainly wouldn’t expect “a yes to any and all requests“. We’re actually pretty reasonable people 🙂

We do not stay in the upper and suites but are definitely repeat customers. This cruise will push us over 100 nights on Seabourn.  

My guess is, it’s easier for the chefs on port days (is giving them notice a day or two before the poor days but timing it so they have less lunch prep work with passengers ashore.  Since I’m a thoroughly serious Home chef, my experience has in the past been that the chefs are actually intrigued with preparing things other than “the usual“. Having worked in restaurants in my youth, have a feeling for the pace (although we did not serve 450 “covers“ a night! 🙂

• Like 1

We've never asked for a special meal on any of our previous Seabourn cruises.  We are considering asking for one special meal next summer (28 day cruise) to celebrate our 48th wedding anniversary. We will be on the ship on the day of our anniversary.  I would be very disappointed if we were turned down because we are not in one of the more expensive suites.  We plan to ask for slow roasted lamb shanks which is a dish we have enjoyed on Seabourn.  We would not dream of asking for something exotic or something the chef did not have experience with.  Hopefully, our request will be accepted.  This will be the first time we have EVER asked for anything special.  I'll be sure to report back on whether or our request is fulfilled.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Steve007Sonoma said:

Thanks for the feedback.

My tendency is to request things that are among my favorites, but nothing easiest to cook at home (sweetbread is the best example).

I’m too old to expect perfection from anything or anyone 🙂

Hoya-  ‘hush puppies’ or a southern fried cornmeal fritter like food

Thanks. Having grown up on fried frogs' legs and hushpuppies I am well aware of the delicacy. Just felt the thought of them might give a French chef a coronary!

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I would be very disappointed if we were turned down because we are not in one of the more expensive suites.  We plan to ask for slow roasted lamb shanks which is a dish we have enjoyed on Seabourn.

That is simply not the Seabourn way (to base anything on what suite you're in). I'm quite confident they'll make your wedding anniversary a very special meal.

Edited by markandjie
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

I think the most successful special orders are for Asian food - probably Indian - as that is what the chefs are more attuned to in their 'normal' lives, and appreciate us asking for them.  People usually say that they have wonderful meals if they choose these.

Although living in London I find that an Indian meal is the last thing I want on a ship.

Americans generally love an Indian meal on the ship

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Although living in London I find that an Indian meal is the last thing I want on a ship.

Americans generally love an Indian meal on the ship

I don't think you can generalize about Americans.  We would never request an Indian meal.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I don't think you can generalize about Americans.  We would never request an Indian meal.  

They did an Indian night in the Colonnade on the Venture in July. It was not well attended. Half our crew went there while the other half held down our normal table in MDR. Thus I was able to nuke my tastebuds for dinner (delicious but SPICY) and yet still sit down for a soufflé dessert.

Very few things I don’t eat, though a few (cooked tomato sauce, cucumbers, green pepper) I don’t particularly care for.  Love Indian and Indonesian food on cruise ships, since so many of the crew are from various parts of those countries and the chefs know the cuisines.  And although Keller influences are everywhere here in Sonoma county, the Asian restaurants are limited & pretty dreadful. (Though San Francisco is only an hour away and has it all)!

My reference to Asian meals was based on several reports over the years of galley staff seeming delighted to be asked to cook their own national dishes, usually for a larger table, which makes for a memorable  evening.  Obviously if special orders happen too often for too many tables it is likely to mean less good service for the rest of the room and stress for the staff. 

39 minutes ago, lincslady said:

.  Obviously if special orders happen too often for too many tables it is likely to mean less good service for the rest of the room and stress for the staff. 

Which is exactly why we have never asked for a special meal.  But, we think we might ask for our actually (on that day) anniversary--and probably would not ask again until the next anniversary.  We love great service, but don't ask for special favors because of what you have said.  

• Like 1