FCO Airport Waiting Area

maggietaggie

We are both traveling solo, flights booked but arriving within 30 minutes of each other.  Is there a cafe or waiting area in the baggage claim area that I can wait until my friend gets to baggage as I do not want to leave the baggage claim area with out her?  I thought there was but cannot find any info to confirm that.  Thank you 

Not really, they don't want people hanging around in there, but I've also not seen them push anyone along so I'm sure you could hang out if you wanted to.

There is, however, a perfectly nice cafeteria just outside of baggage claim in Terminal 3 where you can sit for hours and no one will say a word.

If you look at this map of T3 arrivals, you'll see an arrow toward the right side pointing down, that's where you exit from baggage claim.  Further over to the right of the page is a green area, that's the cafeteria:  a711d0b9-8418-85e1-3320-43f489fa83e5 (4677×3307) (adr.it)

Edited by euro cruiser

Remember that the Baggage claim area in European airports is 'Airside' and there is no public access, also once you exit the area, you will not be able to re enter.  So either wait within the baggage claim area or go to the cafeteria as suggesed by euro cruiser.

One other small thing is, as far as I remember, the information screens in the baggage area only show the carousel number to which each flight's baggage will be delivered.  They do not show expected arrival time, so if one of you has a delay, you could be hanging around for a time. 

Here is a phone detail we have experienced in some airports.  Cell phone connections can be very poor or nonexistent (or not allowed) within the passport control and baggage claim sections of some (not all) airports.  Whether this is by design or accident, I do not know.  However, cell phone connections are invariably fine between the plane and entering passport control, and then after exiting baggage claim.  I have never tried to make a call from within those areas in FCO so I don't know the situation there.

I would suggest you send each other a text as soon as you land so the second to arrive knows you are there. Of course, call each other, but be aware that the call may not go through if one of the parties is within a "bad reception" area. 

My suggestion would be to monitor each other's flights with free apps such at FlightView or FlightAware.  Each would require Wi-Fi or cell service.

If either is delayed, you won't want to spend time waiting in the baggage claim area.  I'd much rather wait in the cafeteria as suggested by @euro cruiser.