CCL very small thing that hits big, for me

havanadaydreaming

9 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

Please explain the whole duck thing. Last cruise, we were sitting in lobby listening to band when someone dropped two ducks down that hit me in the head. 

I'm hoping that dropping them on your head was an accident. Usually "the duck thing" is that people hide ducks on cruise ships. You can search the site that cannot be named for "Cruising Ducks" and get the info. 

On 1/5/2024 at 4:22 PM, slavigne5577 said:

Please explain the whole duck thing. Last cruise, we were sitting in lobby listening to band when someone dropped two ducks down that hit me in the head. 

sure!  It's basically a scavenger hunt (or hide & seek, however you wanna look at it)

Rumor has it that it was made popular by a 10 year old girl back in 2017 / 2018, who just wanted to make other guests smile.  She & her dad brought on a handful of ducks, created a FB group where folks could post that they found them and it just LEAPED off from there.

most put tags on their ducks stating something like "oh what luck, you've found a duck!" and instructs the finder to either keep it or re-hide it for others to find.  It also either has a QR code with the group linked to it or a hashtag of some kind that directs folks to the group page.

I do it because I really enjoy the spirit of the game - when you watch a little one come across a duck unexpectedly, the joy that they experience is contagious!  (many adults have the same reaction when they come across a duck!  Which is also fun!)   

I'm a tumbler maker and work with resin crafts as well - many of my hides are my own creations (as you saw from my original post).  I like to hide things that are completely different - I guarantee you that NOBODY is hiding keychains like mine around the ship!!  I've also hidden a tumbler or two (duck themed, of course!!) and for those, I definitely stick around to see who finds them!  (you're welcome to check my tumbler album out - it's called out in my signature below).

Part of the fun, for me, is coming up with what I want to create for our next cruise - I've already got two tumblers in the works, just for that reason, even though we don't even have our next cruise scheduled!   LOL  I work on things in between custom orders when I have the time to have a bit of fun with what I'm creating  🥰

Unfortunately (and for reasons I just don't understand) the hiding of ducks also annoys some people... I don't see how it affects them when they spot a duck in one of its hiding spots (some are really not hidden very well but are instead, right out in plain sight!) but apparently it does... 

so if you choose to participate in the game, just be aware that there are a few that have an open disdain for the game too.  Don't let that deter you though!  far more joy is achieved with these little ducks than there is annoyance...

On 12/6/2023 at 2:45 PM, stobe1 said:

I am a huge Fantasy class fan. I will miss them when they are all gone. The only one we have yet to sail on is Paradise. Imagination was my favorite of all of them. 

For the purposes of this thread, the "I have arrived" moment for me on every cruise is sipping my first cocktail at Alchemy or my first beer at the aft pool bar.

I agree! This is by far my favorite ship size. I will certainly miss them too! 

9 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

sure!  It's basically a scavenger hunt (or hide & seek, however you wanna look at it)

Rumor has it that it was made popular by a 10 year old girl back in 2017 / 2018, who just wanted to make other guests smile.  She & her dad brought on a handful of ducks, created a FB group where folks could post that they found them and it just LEAPED off from there.

most put tags on their ducks stating something like "oh what luck, you've found a duck!" and instructs the finder to either keep it or re-hide it for others to find.  It also either has a QR code with the group linked to it or a hashtag of some kind that directs folks to the group page.

I do it because I really enjoy the spirit of the game - when you watch a little one come across a duck unexpectedly, the joy that they experience is contagious!  (many adults have the same reaction when they come across a duck!  Which is also fun!)   

I'm a tumbler maker and work with resin crafts as well - many of my hides are my own creations (as you saw from my original post).  I like to hide things that are completely different - I guarantee you that NOBODY is hiding keychains like mine around the ship!!  I've also hidden a tumbler or two (duck themed, of course!!) and for those, I definitely stick around to see who finds them!  (you're welcome to check my tumbler album out - it's called out in my signature below).

Part of the fun, for me, is coming up with what I want to create for our next cruise - I've already got two tumblers in the works, just for that reason, even though we don't even have our next cruise scheduled!   LOL  I work on things in between custom orders when I have the time to have a bit of fun with what I'm creating  🥰

Unfortunately (and for reasons I just don't understand) the hiding of ducks also annoys some people... I don't see how it affects them when they spot a duck in one of its hiding spots (some are really not hidden very well but are instead, right out in plain sight!) but apparently it does... 

so if you choose to participate in the game, just be aware that there are a few that have an open disdain for the game too.  Don't let that deter you though!  far more joy is achieved with these little ducks than there is annoyance...

I Hopefully will not have any more dropped on my head.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, slavigne5577 said:

I Hopefully will not have any more dropped on my head.

LOL seriously, that's not usually how the "hides" go...  it may have been a child playing with their ducks up on an upper level and the ducks got away from them!    But it's rare that ducks get dropped on folks from above!  🤣

On 12/6/2023 at 9:29 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

This may be evident but im a pretty big Parrothead. Probably world class. Not bragging just is what it proverbially is. 

Big thumbs up to CCL for including some Jimmy Buffett songs on the buffet background music. 

Anyone have a teeny tiny thing that is big to you? 

On recent long cruise i heard his songs most every day. Some were pretty deep album cuts, not hit songs.  Brought a smile to my face every time.  

For years i failed to hear a single recorded or live Jimmy song.  No biggie...like i said this is a very small thing in the big picture. 

But i am thankful.  Fins up!

Spent a few days in Charleston prior to our cruise this past August. While there, i stopped at t local record shop downtown. I collect Jimmy Buffett vinyl records. Picked a copy of Songs you don't know by Heart and talked a bit with the owner about Jimmy and my lifelong fandom. We boarded the ship the next day and spent our port day in Nassau at the Margaritaville resort. Upon arriving back into port at the end of the cruise, the first thing I saw on my phone when we had service was that Jimmy Buffett had passed. the wife and I were heartbroken and spent the drive back to Atlanta listening to Buffett. Fins Up!

• Like 5

I miss the printed Fun Times and long for the days when our phones went into the safe and we were able to take a break from technology. Seemed that the Trivia cheating wasn't as rampant back then either. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, angelsfort said:

I found my first duck behind our tv in our cabin.  This was probably 2018.  I didn't know the game so I just left it there.

• Like 1

Seeing the atrium for the first time. (any ship).

Eating my first guy's burger.

First dip into the hot tub, and enjoying the ocean views, and sailing away from the hot tub. 

Kicking back in a lounger not a care in the world. 

• Like 1

Wife and I have been big Buffet fans for the entirety of our relationship (39 + years).  For some time now, we bring a small bluetooth speaker to listen to tunes in the room while getting dressed for dinner.  After Jimmy's passing, we started a new tradition.  Last night of the cruise before going to dinner (always 8:15), we play Lovely Cruise and dance in our stateroom in memory of Jimmy. 

• Like 5

On 1/8/2024 at 6:42 PM, mirglip69 said:

I miss the printed Fun Times and long for the days when our phones went into the safe and we were able to take a break from technology. Seemed that the Trivia cheating wasn't as rampant back then either. 

SAME HERE!   Just know that we can still get the printed Fun Times, you just gotta ask for them.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

SAME HERE!   Just know that we can still get the printed Fun Times, you just gotta ask for them.  

I agree with the break from technology. I still don't pay for wifi. But we do carry our phones around for the onboard chat and for the stupid menus now! They act like you ask for second born if asking for menu's.

• Like 1

We cruised back in October and noticed the same thing with more Jimmy songs onboard.  Actually brought a tear to my eye the first time we heard Margaritaville from the musician in the theater.  So sad that we won't get to see Jimmy on stage again.  And still have a hard time listening to Bubbles Up.  Phins up!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

They act like you ask for second born if asking for menu's.

That has not been my experience, especially recently.   I have been offered a menu the minute I have started fumbling with my phone.  I have even been handed them as soon as I sat down.  Otherwise, I use the online menus.

I am a little past middle-age (certainly not elderly), but I am starting to wonder if they assume I am too old to use the technology! 🤪

I always get a snicker out of the use of the word "fumbling" when referring to using your phone on vacation. I always picture someone sitting at the MDR trying to grab a very strong, slippery, live, fish. 

Edited by Joebucks
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I always get a snicker out of the use of the word "fumbling" when referring to using your phone on vacation. I always picture someone sitting at the MDR trying to grab a very strong, slippery, live, fish. 

I was a little reluctant to use the word "fumbling", but couldn't think of a better one. 😀

I know my way around a smart phone, but I was only a step or two into getting into the right screen to look at the menu when a waiter would say, "would you like a paper menu"?  I am not going to turn one down, but I am fine looking at the app as well.

On 1/8/2024 at 7:24 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

I found my first duck behind our tv in our cabin.  This was probably 2018.  I didn't know the game so I just left it there.

On our last cruise, we hid a duck in the safe as we prepared to disembark.

As for the little thing that hits big…Guy Fieri burger and a Red Frog draft!

Edited by rikitikitavii
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 12:35 PM, angelsfort said:

Its funny that so many mentioned having the staff know you by name...  on our last cruise, our server called me by the wrong name every single night.  Just once, when he had to look at our sign/sail cards to charge our bottomless bubbles, he actually said my name but never did it again.  He got my boyfriends name right every time!   LOL

we only saw our cabin steward on the first day, when he introduced himself

for me, the very small thing that hits big is the ducks.  I know that it's a bit controversial - some people love them, some people hate them...  I'm on team "love them" for sure.   We bring 20-30 ducks on board with us and hide maybe 10-12 of them - the rest we drop in mailboxes of cabins where we've seen little ones coming & going OR we'll put them directly on their tables while at lunch on the Lido deck or at dinner in the MDR, then we get to watch them light up when they find them.   

My ducks aren't the typical "rubber duck" though, I have little duck magnets and rubber duck keychains that I've made to hide/give away.  (the attached photo is the keychains - little ducks on water, with teeny tiny fish in the water below them)

20230110_153907.jpg

Agree, I haven’t hid ducks, found one once above the double door frame to cabin hallway. I like having some in my tote and give to children “in need” like fussy at dinner, or just telling them my you are being so happy and good here..(We always ask parents first if ok) and always enough ducks if multiple kids in a family,  I just need to know where not allowed to out them out- I know no shops or bathrooms,pool. 

I think crossing into gangway is a moment you always just feel right from your feet. I still recall my Navy veteran senior dad, swearing he’d been on a ship enough and getting him to cruise. He literally was bouncing on gangway like a giddy kid. He loves cruising just to be with family. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 7:24 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

Since then, have you joined in on the fun?

7 hours ago, angelsfort said:

Since then, have you joined in on the fun?

I have found a couple more on subsequent cruises.  I may actually buy some ducks and hide them on this up comng cruise since my grandkids will be with us.

20 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I have found a couple more on subsequent cruises.  I may actually buy some ducks and hide them on this up comng cruise since my grandkids will be with us.

I would be willing to wager that they'd also enjoy getting in on the fun of hiding! 

If you join your sailings group page, you can likely discover the many others that will also be hiding on your cruise.