Birthday on board - special arrangements and add ons

e&mcruise

Hello Cunarders,

Hope you are all well.

We are cruising for the first time with Cunard and celebrating two special (40s the final season!! & 60th) birthdays.

Whilst aware of the various gift and additional add on packages that can be arranged for staterooms, we have had incredible difficulty in accessing either online or accurate info (due to non working Cunard links) regarding exact & accurate inclusions and pricing despite contacting Cunard (4 times) directly.

We would like to arrange special treats where possible for each other but also have friends and family who want to make our special (and very rare break) cruise even more memorable.

Has anyone enjoyed (and successfully arranged) special birthday arrangements (paid or otherwise) on Cunard? Are they worth the effort?

We are travelling Queens Grill P4........ is our occasion just something we mention on board or should we add it to our booking somehow via another method before the cruise?

As always on this wonderful forum, all info and advice appreciated. 

🙂

2 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Hello Cunarders,

Hope you are all well.

We are cruising for the first time with Cunard and celebrating two special (40s the final season!! & 60th) birthdays.

Whilst aware of the various gift and additional add on packages that can be arranged for staterooms, we have had incredible difficulty in accessing either online or accurate info (due to non working Cunard links) regarding exact & accurate inclusions and pricing despite contacting Cunard (4 times) directly.

We would like to arrange special treats where possible for each other but also have friends and family who want to make our special (and very rare break) cruise even more memorable.

Has anyone enjoyed (and successfully arranged) special birthday arrangements (paid or otherwise) on Cunard? Are they worth the effort?

We are travelling Queens Grill P4........ is our occasion just something we mention on board or should we add it to our booking somehow via another method before the cruise?

As always on this wonderful forum, all info and advice appreciated. 

🙂

In other non suite grades you get a birthday card and mention on the daily show in the morning. All other treats etc have to be paid for in advance and I think you can only do over the phone.My daughters who were with me ordered flowers onboard which were delivered to my state room. I have seen other people take their own cakes. I have heard people on their tables sing happy birthday but as a family who keep themselves to themselves this is not something I would have wanted. Sorry if that’s disappointing but when you hear the number of birthdays read out each day you realise why there are generally outside of the Grills no free extras. 

25 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

In other non suite grades you get a birthday card and mention on the daily show in the morning. All other treats etc have to be paid for in advance and I think you can only do over the phone.My daughters who were with me ordered flowers onboard which were delivered to my state room. I have seen other people take their own cakes. I have heard people on their tables sing happy birthday but as a family who keep themselves to themselves this is not something I would have wanted. Sorry if that’s disappointing but when you hear the number of birthdays read out each day you realise why there are generally outside of the Grills no free extras. 

Do they warn you that you will be mentioned in the daily show, or better still, ask your permission. I have never watched it and hence had until now no idea that happens. I certainly wouldn’t want my birthday broadcast, in the unlikely event I was on board for it.

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Do they warn you that you will be mentioned in the daily show, or better still, ask your permission. I have never watched it and hence had until now no idea that happens. I certainly wouldn’t want my birthday broadcast, in the unlikely event I was on board for it.

It was my wife’s birthday. I had my TA make sure no mention in program but they gave her a lovely card and a bottle of bubbly.

10 minutes ago, tony s said:

It was my wife’s birthday. I had my TA make sure no mention in program but they gave her a lovely card and a bottle of bubbly.

Very nice. But how did you know you needed to do that? Or was your TA especially on the ball.

42 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It is only mentioned in the morning briefing show that entertainment director does that is on the T V They only mention your name. They also do a separate list for crew. They didn’t ask my permission or that of my daughters who have both had birthdays onboard. Didn’t worry me as I don’t go by my legal first name anyway. I don’t really pay attention to the names so I doubt anyone else does. 

2 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

It is only mentioned in the morning briefing show that entertainment director does that is on the T V They only mention your name. They also do a separate list for crew. They didn’t ask my permission or that of my daughters who have both had birthdays onboard. Didn’t worry me as I don’t go by my legal first name anyway. I don’t really pay attention to the names so I doubt anyone else does. 

In that case why do it at all?

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

Do you really mean a Q4?

P4 is Princess Grill.

In QG, normally a cake is given on your birthday, without asking. Can't speak for any other restaurant, sorry.

A few years ago, my birthday was embarkation. We had made no arrangements or made any note of that to Cunard. The next night, the server brought a “small” cake - enough for four servings, but we were at a table for two - as a birthday surprise. We were in PG. 

Cunard knows our birthdays when we enter it during the booking process, and also when logging into mycunard, so I guess the info would be passed along to the ship.

The one time I was aboard on my birthday I received a card (not personalised) with pre-printed signatures from the captain, entertainment director, and hotel GM.  There was nothing else, which was fine as I'm not a big birthday person.  Although I wouldn't have said no to a free drink.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Not disappointing just hoping to hear from people who have ordered some of the packages offered on the website to see if they are worth the $$$.

https://www.cunard.com/en-au/activity-types/gifts/celebration-package

Not interested in singing or cakes or anything like that.

20 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Not disappointing just hoping to hear from people who have ordered some of the packages offered on the website to see if they are worth the $$$.

https://www.cunard.com/en-au/activity-types/gifts/celebration-package

Not interested in singing or cakes or anything like that.

The cake I received was not accompanied by anyone singing. Our server brought it, and was met at the table by the PG maitre d’, both of whom wished me a happy birthday in a pretty subdued manner. Nearby diners may not have even noticed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

The cake I received was not accompanied by anyone singing. Our server brought it, and was met at the table by the PG maitre d’, both of whom wished me a happy birthday in a pretty subdued manner. Nearby diners may not have even noticed.

A table mate celebrated a birthday and was presented with a cake in an equally, and preferred,  low key manner

Well it was low key until the rest of his tablemates sang Happy Birthday 'con brio'! 😀

• Thanks 1

e&mcruise

I have ordered flowers twice, once for my wife's birthday (QM) and once for our anniversary (QE). On both cases they were beautiful. The second time was on a 14 night cruise and about 8 or 9 days into the cruise I called the Purser's Desk and asked if the arrangement could be freshened up a bit. It was almost completely redone and the service was complimentary. We also once sat next to a couple celebrate a birthday and they had preordered a birthday cake which they shared a pieces with us. It was absolutely amazing, one of the most delicious cakes I've ever tasted. It was a yellow cake with a fruit custard icing. The flowers were $60. I don't know how much the cake was. I had to call Cunard to order the flowers.

Hope this helps

Jack

ScreenShot2023-12-12at7_23_31PM.thumb.png.12bc697a327eb433e8756f9e99d28e2f.pngScreenShot2023-12-12at7_25_17PM.thumb.png.17981125ea3ee24cac4691cb449b85c5.pngScreenShot2023-12-12at7_30_08PM.thumb.png.62033bbb071c33fc9167c79eda7ca732.png

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 12:33 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

e&mcruise

I have ordered flowers twice, once for my wife's birthday (QM) and once for our anniversary (QE). On both cases they were beautiful. The second time was on a 14 night cruise and about 8 or 9 days into the cruise I called the Purser's Desk and asked if the arrangement could be freshened up a bit. It was almost completely redone and the service was complimentary. We also once sat next to a couple celebrate a birthday and they had preordered a birthday cake which they shared a pieces with us. It was absolutely amazing, one of the most delicious cakes I've ever tasted. It was a yellow cake with a fruit custard icing. The flowers were $60. I don't know how much the cake was. I had to call Cunard to order the flowers.

Hope this helps

Jack

Thanks so much Jack. Was beginning to think no one understood what I was asking about.

On another another nameless cruise line, we ordered a full welcome package with flowers, champagne etc etc and it was a disaster & VERY (US$600) expensive. The flowers were dead on arrival to our cabin and the champagne was cheap sparkling. We ended up getting a refund but it just started things off in such a disappointing way when it should have had the opposite effect.

Whilst our cruise is not as long as yours, it is impressive that Cunard were happy to re-fresh the arrangement for you. Based on the photos you posted and the pricing, we will certainly look at ordering flowers now.

Thanks very much. 🙂