Almost Live Auckland to Sydney

PasadenaDave

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

PasadenaDave was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Here is my attempt so bear me.

Presently at United Polaris Lounge in LAX.  We dropped off the dogs for boarding and Uber picked us up at 4:00.  Quick ride thanks that protesters did not prone themselves on the freeway today.  Easy checkin and no line at TSA Pre.  Good food and drink.  We board in than one hour.

We arrive Auckland Monday morning and board the ship on Tuesday.  We will pick up a bottle of booze prior to boarding.

It will be good fleeing the brutal winter weather in Pasadena, it was 78 today.  

Stay tuned

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Travel to destination complete.

We departed a few minutes late which shouldn’t have been an issue but due to two bouts of turbulence we were unable to make up the time.  We flew business class which United refers to it as Polaris Class.  I continue to consult in retirement for as much as fun and interest which allows for upgrade in travel class without the concern of wasting money when we go on international flights.  The lie flat seats actually allow for some decent sleep.

Polaris Class Review.   The Polaris Lounge at LAX is the best lounge experience ever.  They only all Polaris Class flyers so no long wait due to holders of special credit cards.  They have a sit down wait serviced dining room with good good I. A quiet atmosphere.  After dinner drinks in lounge area.  A 200 yard walk to the gate.  Service in the air didn’t match business international on British Air, Lufthansa, or Air France.

Immigration and customs was efficient and caught the first taxi in line and we were at the Hotel Britomart by 9:30, plane arrived at 7:30.   We paid for an early checkin upgrade so a shower was welcome.

The hotel is two blocks from the ship which is here.  We had a good walk, lunch, stop at ATM and ice cream.  Back to the room for a nap, then a walk to buy gin and jack for our room on Orion.  It is now 6:04 pm with full sun….yes it is almost the solstice here.

Hope to stay awake until 8:00.  We board tomorrow morning 

Will be watching this with interest.  We did Sydney to Auckland last year but missed 2 NZ ports due to a nasty cyclone diversion.  Really enjoyed this trip though.  If CJ and Yoga are in the Viking lounge, give them our regards!  Really nice guys - funny and super helpful; we had some good times hanging out at the bar with them!

Today was walk to the ship day.  

Fully recovered from the flight, was wandered around the CBD and we were on the pier at 11 and in the World Cafe within 30 minutes.  A leisurely lunch and relaxing sit in Explorers Lounge until room was ready at 1:00.  

A quiet afternoon and then an enjoyable meal in MDR with two other couples.  Steak cooked to perfection.

It seems that there are more young people on board than we had on prior journeys and the other couples at our table are on vacation from work.

The included beer and wine is delicious.

We are low key people.  If there is something you want to know, ask and I will answer, or find the answer 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Early morning coffee from The Living Room at 0630 and breakfast delivered soon after.

I had an enjoyable steam and soak in the Nordic Spa when it opened at eight.

we had an excursion at 11:30 so enjoyed waffles at Mamsens.  The included excursion took us to parts of Auckland with a proper amount of time at a museum. We did a bit of shopping on our own before returning to the ship.  An excellent burger at poolside grill on return.

Enjoyable gin and tonic in our room, read and watched many sailboats as we departed.  Dinner in World Cafe, the lamb and gelato top notch.  Getting ready for bed at nine and it isn’t fully dark yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cisterna said:

Have you noticed if people are tipping the guides and drivers?

We have only done one excursion and yes people were tipping.  I gave the driver/guide two $2 NZ coins for my wife and I.  I did see a few people fishing out US currency for tips.  US currency is preferred in places like Egypt, but in a country like New Zealand I see it as a lack of respect.  

There are ATMs everywhere so no excuse not to pick up some local currency.  No need to get it at the airport.  

Also I didn’t mention that there is no need to use ship transport to/from airport.  Taxis are plentiful and have a fixed rate and there is no waiting for a shuttle to fill, get in and go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

country like New Zealand I see it as a lack of respect.  

Exactly!  They must take it to a currendcy exchange,  lose some worth, and their time! Same with Australia 

Edited by Cisterna

Welcome to New Zealand Pasadena Dave! Hope you enjoy your stay here 😁

You truly don't need to tip tour guides, but if they exceed expectation they will appreciate it! Hope the weather is ok, it's pretty unsettled right now. Looking forward to reading about your travels.

• Like 1

Thanks for the updates. We leave on December 31 and board on January 2, 2024. Let us know how warm or cool it is during the day. We have been on the Orion before which was only 1/2 full but the ship is beautiful!! Enjoy your cruise.

Maureen

Yesterday was Tauranga.  Up earl for coffee from the Living Room, the in room coffee is rough.  I also wait until 8 for the opening of the NordicSpa for a steam and a soak.

We had an early lunch in the World Cafe, I am enjoying the gelato!

Our 12:30 excursion was on time but it was slow leaving the port/beach area due to summer traffic.  This area has had a growth spurt in the past decade and between that an the installation of bike lanes, not the first time I have heard that complaint from bus drivers, the going was slow.  The driver provided a good history of the area and description of the kiwi fruit industry.  We went to a Community Center where kiwi products were available and watched a Māori dance troupe.  The excursion seemed a bit dull, but I like seeing new geography and how locals live so it was a good afternoon.  A bonus was watching all of the port activity including rows of timber awaiting shipping.  Note that the driver kept his distance from the door so there was no guilt about not tipping.

Tea in Explorers Lounge for the sailing and then dinner in restaurant of roast beef with proper Yorkshire Pudding.  Dropped to sleep at nine.

Temperatures in low 70’s and I was fine in shorts and short sleeves but my wife was glad to have a sweatshirt.

The included beer and wine are fine for my taste.  We also have a bottle of gin and whiskey brought on board.  I am drinking more than normal but I have no need for spirits package.  Your needs might vary.

• Thanks 1

Dave -   I'm sure it might be too soon to answer this -  Hubbby needs to check in with the office - mostly emails ~ Ho Hum - it will be the start of tax season and he is a CPA -  How is the Wifi - and what is the best time of day to use it.  I would imagine New Zealand will be best since we will always be close to land  vs, when we make the ocean crossing to/from Australia. And I do know you are using it for this blog 🤣  

Thanks

Kristi

The Wi-Fi has been fine.  I actually thought of zooming in in an HOA meeting but then remembered that there is no need to get riled up!  I have also seen that some secure document depositories for two consulting gigs have had items added to them….not going to check them as I don’t want to think about my response to them as after all, while I am retired, this is holiday 

• Like 1

Yesterday was Napier.  The day began as all others do with my routine.

we met with the Cruise Consultant to look into future plans and we were shocked to see how little for the next two cruises have for available cabins in 2024.  With that amount of occupancy don’t be concerned with the finances of Viking.

Early lunch in World Cafe then off to see farmland and two wineries on the optional wine tour.  We probably have gone to enough wineries but learning of the history and the devastation from the February 13, 2022 cyclone flooding was nice.  We drove through Napier but did not have time to stop and walk around.

Dinner in the restaurant excellent salmon.  I have to say that prior posts from others on Cruise Critic about noise and slow service has not been our experience.

My typical challenge to stay awake until nine continues, my body likes sleep…but we need to ask for an egg crate topper for the bed.

Bye

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Be curious to hear about the impact of the cyclone on Napier.  That was one of two ports we missed when we cruised last year DURING the cyclone! We were to be on a wine tour there also, so I'm curious what we missed there.

The vineyard area is a very flat flood plain and the vineyards are more similar in that regard to vineyards for table grapes.  Both wineries we visited indicated the height of the water , about three feet, which amounted to a large lake and the water took a considerable amount of time to dissipate.  There is visible damage, however if I wasn’t aware of the flooding I don’t think I would have noticed.

The river is very wide and shallow with built up dikes marking the banks.  Many of the e vineyards were planted twenty years ago on what was considered wasteland and I suspect that 2022 wasn’t the first flood.  We did take a detour as a temporary bridge installed while a damaged one is replaced can’t hold the weight of a bus

• Thanks 1

Yesterday we were at Lyttelton/Christchurch.  There were provided shuttle from ship to local town and separate shuttle to Christchurch.  The route from port went through a long tunnel and dropped off at CBD.

We had a nice walk visiting the art museum and craft fair.  As expected it was quiet due to Sunday and it being Christmas Eve.  Weather began cool in the fifties with low clouds rising to 70 and sun.

Morning activities limited to hot tub as the steam room was under repair.  My wife had her hair “fixed”, I don’t have those issues.

Due to the port of Dunedin being skipped due to Christmas we learned that we were all awarded $150 US in onboard credit each.  That is fair.

We had a late lunch and enjoyed a drink in Explorers Lounge as we sailed out of the port.  A late dinner in World Cafe and time in our books.

• Like 2

Yesterday was Christmas in these parts.

I am a creature of habit enjoying the Nordic Spa on opening.  The day was devoted to reading, World Cafe for breakfast, The restaurant for lunch and dinner.  Dinner was scallop appetizer and beef Wellington followed by blueberry cheesecake.

A cool and cloudy day.

We are booked on this cruise leaving Sydney 23/12/24, planning to visit family and friends and enjoy the ship and our cabin and have a family and stress free Christmas. Hope to meet some fellow CC members on board.  We did an expedition cruise earlier this year and made some lovely friends from Sacramento.  

Boxing Day was more of the same at sea.  All meals in the World Cafe today as we need a break from mega dining.

Three highlights:  I finished my book about Shackleton, I did a full mile walk around the ship, and I saw a pod of whales at a distance.  Today I learned that there had been a pod of ten near the ship.

Bed by nine, yes we love excitement 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1