Dressy nights - for women?

wallflower07

34 minutes ago, wallflower07 said:

What kind of outfit would most women be wearing on one of the dressy nights? I guess a sleeveless sundress is not formal enough? 

On normal days in the MDR is a plain tshirt and jeans appropriate or would most people be more dressed up?

Hi Wallflower!

Where are you sailing? Sundress is (1) acceptable, and (2) common on warm weather cruises. Europe may be dressier. I wear shiny leggings and a sparkly top wherever!

Men cannot wear tee shirts to MDR -- must be collared shirt. I don't have the requirements handy but it may be that jeans are not acceptable for either sex. 

Others will be along to quote the dress codes, I believe. 

Just got off 31 day SA on Oosterdam. Attire for dressy was all over the board. Our cruise director wore a short sleeved polo shirt with khaki type pants so goes to show. I saw just about everything except shorts. A few women and men were really dressed to the nines, but they were the exception. I'd say most women wore dressy tops with skirts or dress type slacks and men mostly wore dress shirts...some with ties, most without, some with suit jacket. 

My pretty clothes love to go out and play, so I bring a few cocktail length dresses, primarily made of chiffon. That way, there is no extra weight in my suitcase! 
Usually I bring one pair of pumps that goes with all of the dresses, and a couple of evening bags. 

• Like 4

Dressy nights are still coordinated with special photo set-ups, if you want a professional photo taken.

Many like, or liked,  to dress up when making this investment in their onboard photo memories. At one time, it was pretty much only the official shipboard photographs which marked many onboard cruise photo memories.

Such a huge former daily activity visiting the photo board looking for ones to purchase.  Ha, ha don't we look funny wearing our bulky life jackets for the lifeboat drill, or smiling with  the captain on formal night ...etc .... those are the ones I remember from times past.

The advent of easy photography in the hands of nearly everyone today, means cruise photo memories are longer just the product very few jealously guarded rolls of expensive film we used to pack, or the product of an onboard photographer capturing special occasions.

So  whole concept of ship board formal dress nights for professional onboard photographs has also gone by the wayside along with the far fewer traditional dressy formal nights that triggered those special onboard special photo memories.

• Like 1

DH and I enjoy dressing up for the MDR.  I will wear anywhere from a floor length gown to a shorter, sequined cocktail dress.  We are from a background that most definitely would deny entry to dining facilities based on attire..no BDUs at the mess hall on holidays.  I enjoy seeing my DH dressed because he is very handsome to me. If we choose not to pack the formal/dressy wear or the luggage is lost, we eat in the Lido buffet.

• Like 3