Civitavecchia. Minibus shore tour to Rome

alserrod

My family and me will call in Civitavecchia in 2024. 

We are 14 people and we are wondering about renting a minibus and having a Day Tour in Rome.

Does anyone have visited Rome after renting a minibus?

Any information is appreciated

Wow, where to start.  Yes, you can likely arrange for a mini-bus (or something similar) through any of various tour companies.  Here on CC, the two companies often mentioned with very positive reviews are "Rome In Limo" and "Stefano's Rome Cabs (often referred to as Romecabs).  You can contact them with your request and see if they able to handle a group of 14.

What you cannot do is go out and rent your own mini-bus and just drive yourself around Rome :).  Much of Rome is within a Zona Traffico Limitato (ZTL) which are limited driving zones where only certain authorized vehicles can operate.  I have driven all over Italy (more than 10,000 miles of driving) and Rome is one of the few places I will not drive :).  If I happen to drive into Rome, I park outside the ZTLs (there are some garages near the main train station) and use public transit and my legs.

Also consider that most tours of Rome will involve a significant amount of walking.  If some of your group has mobility limitations, that is going to have a major impact on what you can see and do in Rome.  If you do contact a tour company, make sure to tell them if anyone in your group has such limitations.

Hank

• Thanks 1

First think through whether you really need a full day tour, or if what you require are two transfers.  Once in Rome most sites are walkable from one another, so you may not need to pay for the bus to wait around for you all day.  That depends on what you plan to do during the day.

• Thanks 1